The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

VT - I'm stressing, and I really could do with some sound advice from knowledgable people!

I'm 25, working in recruitment, but I have hit a bit of a wall. I'm thinking I do not want to be working within this arena anymore. I don't have a degree, which limits me massively as far as I am concerned because every job I see they want someone of 'degree calibre'. I have never known what I wanted to do, I just drifted through school and got myself 10 GCSEs then took a couple of A-levels with the intention of going to uni. I had a place confirmed but then was offered a full time job, which I took.

I have absolutely no idea of what to do with my life, I have so much ambition and desire to succeed, but god knows what in. It's stressing me out more now because the missus wants to buy a house etc and I am a little worried about losing my job for whatever reason and then not being able to find anything else.

Does anybody have any sound advice to give, or know of any opportunities within the Nhants, oxfordshire or Buckinghamshire areas that might be coming up?

Ironic really considering I work in recruitment eh?

Thanks all.

I guess there's a process of elimination to go through.

What are you good at?

What are your interests?

Do you want to be your own boss or work in an existing structure?

Do you want to be desk bound or do you need to get out a bit?

Do you need time out to retrain or capital to set yourself up?

From there you'll begin a process of elimination.

One of my happiest buddies is a window cleaner. By window cleaner, I mean he's his own boss, fit as a fiddle, working local and picking up his kids from school most days, currently driving around in a new VW California.

Other friends work for high flying Project Management companies in London, earn a fortune, work 12 hour days most days and hate themselves.

Can't be put any better than this.

It's a hard question to answer, without really knowing you and what makes you tick. Generally speaking I would say try and find something you enjoy. It all depends what you want to do with your life. Are you wanting to make mega bucks? Are you looking for job satisfaction? Are you looking for job security? You need to decide where you want to be in say 5 years time, and try and build a plan on how to get there. It may be that you want to go and get your degree. It may be that you want to join the circus. 

If all else fails, you could always become a teacher. 

• Like 1

Ha sounds exactly like me this right down the field we both work in!

I'm doing the CIPD accounting thing aswell on the side as that's something I want to do qualify eventually so could be an avenue eventually.

I'm sure working in recruitment and shifting through a million CVs you've noticed the interesting work patterns many people have had to get where they want to be...or not as the case may be!

I guess there's a process of elimination to go through.

What are you good at?

What are your interests?

Do you want to be your own boss or work in an existing structure?

Do you want to be desk bound or do you need to get out a bit?

Do you need time out to retrain or capital to set yourself up?

From there you'll begin a process of elimination.

One of my happiest buddies is a window cleaner. By window cleaner, I mean he's his own boss, fit as a fiddle, working local and picking up his kids from school most days, currently driving around in a new VW California.

Other friends work for high flying Project Management companies in London, earn a fortune, work 12 hour days most days and hate themselves.

Nobody is going to give you anything better than this.  Might as well lock the thread...

• Like 1

I remember being asked as a 15 yr old, what I wanted to be when I have a career. I told the careers advisor I had no idea. 25 years later, I'd still give the same answer.

Despite having a good career to date, earning good money and being respected for the job I do, I'd still give my right arm for a job that interested me. 

Sometimes you just have to accept that you work to be able to afford fun tickets. I'm pretty sure that the overwhelming majority of people do jobs that they don't enjoy or find fulfilling but you have to do it to put food on the table and a roof over your head.

[/negatron]

I'd settle for a job I hated but paid good money, I think it's a given that the majority of people won't be lucky enough to find a job they enjoy that pays enough to support their lifestyle.

Currently I'm sat in a position with a job I hate that pays shit money. Unfortunately for me I lack confidence and haven't a clue where to start looking for something new.

Im currently working as a sales recruitment job. Love it to bits. However my pay is commission only which im now looking to change. Ill definitely be wanting to stay in recruitment as I feel im a natural at talking shit to people.

Spoke to a few recruitment companies but they are all recruitment for recruitment so its driving me mad. Id love to stay at my current place but working in a sales environment on a commission base contract only is an absolute pisstake.

Big Question is why are you looking to change ? Just for my interest so I can have a heads up for when I get a proper recruitment job.

That's the thing though, as people we should not have to wake up in the morning and think "bollox, I have to go to work".... We should wake up and be excited about the job we are about to do, but it is just getting there and knowing 100% that is what you want to do every day in order to pay your bills and treat the gf to some new shoes.

Recruitment for me KevanG is ok, rewarding financially (sometimes) but it is just the constant stress of having to hit your targets and KPIs and if you don't you are going to get a spanking. Whilst I agree that certain aspects of the job need to be measured, it isn't something I want to do for the rest of my life, I think I will eventually make myself ill. I want to be involved in projects where I can focus on something that I really love doing. Recruitment is fulfilling and there is nothing better than making an offer to someone and they accept it, but I don't want to have to pull my hair out to make a certain amount of calls or find x amount of cvs each day.

On a side note, I have today registered myself to begin an access course through the open uni. If I enjoy that, I will look to start doing a degree through them also. Does anybody have any experience with th OU?

Im currently working as a sales recruitment job. Love it to bits. However my pay is commission only which im now looking to change. Ill definitely be wanting to stay in recruitment as I feel im a natural at talking shit to people.

Spoke to a few recruitment companies but they are all recruitment for recruitment so its driving me mad. Id love to stay at my current place but working in a sales environment on a commission base contract only is an absolute pisstake.

Big Question is why are you looking to change ? Just for my interest so I can have a heads up for when I get a proper recruitment job.

Drop me an inbox fella if you are keen to look at other recruitment opportunities as depending on where you live I might be able to set you up with something...

I'd settle for a job I hated but paid good money, I think it's a given that the majority of people won't be lucky enough to find a job they enjoy that pays enough to support their lifestyle.

Currently I'm sat in a position with a job I hate that pays shit money. Unfortunately for me I lack confidence and haven't a clue where to start looking for something new.

What is it you do at the moment Nath182 if you don't mind saying? Have you considered different avenues etc? In what way do you lack confidence do you reckon?

A recruitment consultant told me 'video CVs are the future'. :mellow:

Heard of Skype interviews but not come across any video CVs as yet. Photos etc on CVs are a massive no no, so can't see this catching on quickly...

Edited by Tayls

What is it you do at the moment Nath182 if you don't mind saying? Have you considered different avenues etc? In what way do you lack confidence do you reckon?

I'm a technical author, writing technical troubleshooting articles for an electronics company. I think my main problem is that I get nervous in interview situations and generally am not confident in my abilities. Like I say, I haven't got a clue where to start looking for something new.

Â