The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Theres a few automotive companies recruiting at the moment and I’m getting a few messages on LinkedIn from recruiters.

Whilst my job is majorly boring and the wider part of the business I'm in is a shit show my salary to hassle ratio can’t be matched which makes it all the more frustrating.

I know the exact feeling. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

Theres a few automotive companies recruiting at the moment and I’m getting a few messages on LinkedIn from recruiters.

Whilst my job is majorly boring and the wider part of the business I'm in is a shit show my salary to hassle ratio can’t be matched which makes it all the more frustrating.

Salary to hassle ratio is very very important. 

I could get a significant pay-rise if i moved company, but i like my job, i like the company i work for, i like the role, i like the people i work with, i like the contracted hours. Why would i move just for more money?

(Obviously different if close to minimum wage and need a higher salary just to live).

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Salary to hassle ratio is very very important. 

I could get a significant pay-rise if i moved company, but i like my job, i like the company i work for, i like the role, i like the people i work with, i like the contracted hours. Why would i move just for more money?

(Obviously different if close to minimum wage and need a higher salary just to live).

Mine is a bit different to that.

I think I’m paid very well for what I do. My options are:

1) move somewhere else in a like for like job but get paid a lot less

2) move somewhere with a comparable salary but have a lot more hassle, longer hours etc etc.

3) stay where I am, ticking along even though it’s not very interesting at all.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

2) move somewhere with a comparable salary but have a lot more hassle, longer hours etc etc.

Not a recommendation, but I would do 3 and try to fill my life with hobbies I found interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

1) No. You might hate the new company, the people, etc.   

2) No. Everything gets worse on the chance the role is more fulfilling.

3) Yes. The role doesn't have to be interesting. Either make it more interesting (if it's possible) by doing tasks that aren't exactly on the job spec, or don't worry about it and make other parts of your life more interesting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not a recommendation, but I would do 3 and try to fill my life with hobbies I found interesting.

Yeah, that’s where I’m at.

I feel a bit of a fraud for not pushing on with my career but I’m in a place where salary and lifestyle are a good match. I flit between thinking I should leave or seek a promotion for something more fulfilling, and telling myself I must be mad for risking the old greener grass.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I feel a bit of a fraud for not pushing on with my career but I’m in a place where salary and lifestyle are a good match. I flit between thinking I should leave or seek a promotion for something more fulfilling, and telling myself I must be mad for risking the old greener grass.

I'm not completely dissimilar myself. I got this job a couple of years ago; it is *far* more money than I could get at any other employer in this area in this industry, and better conditions too. But I find myself bored and demotivated, especially since I've been working from home. I take forever to do basic things because I just can't be arsed. But if I left this job, I would either have to take a massive pay cut and work somewhere worse, or completely retrain, do a Masters, and start again on a different career.

• Like 1

About 17 months ago I was settled. Was happy enough on what I was on and had some early days. I was down as self employed , but not on price work. I basically got paid a day rate with a 1k bonus every year . Had no desire to go back on price work. Then I had a big argument with one of the gaffers and I quit after 19 years working there. The next day I was working on price work with a lad I know working for another firm. We’d basically float around 3 different firms doing work for them. Best decision I’d made work wise in a long time. My yearly earnings went up by 15k and we are finished early most days. 

Now we are working on price work for the firm I jacked in 17 months ago. It’s run better now than it was, not that it was run bad before, but the one gaffer has part retired and the other one does nothing but look after us. We get the best work and anything local we usually get it. The money is good, loads of early days and there seems plenty of work on. I’m under no illusion that things will stay this way, though as building work can be up and down, but things are good at the moment .

• Like 3

On 01/07/2021 at 14:27, Rugeley Villa said:

About 17 months ago I was settled. Was happy enough on what I was on and had some early days. I was down as self employed , but not on price work. I basically got paid a day rate with a 1k bonus every year . Had no desire to go back on price work. Then I had a big argument with one of the gaffers and I quit after 19 years working there. The next day I was working on price work with a lad I know working for another firm. We’d basically float around 3 different firms doing work for them. Best decision I’d made work wise in a long time. My yearly earnings went up by 15k and we are finished early most days. 

Now we are working on price work for the firm I jacked in 17 months ago. It’s run better now than it was, not that it was run bad before, but the one gaffer has part retired and the other one does nothing but look after us. We get the best work and anything local we usually get it. The money is good, loads of early days and there seems plenty of work on. I’m under no illusion that things will stay this way, though as building work can be up and down, but things are good at the moment .

Pun Dad Joke GIF by IFHT Films

• Like 1

On 01/07/2021 at 14:10, Genie said:

Don't sweat it. When you are retired and playing with your grandkids, you won't think "I wish I had focused more on my career"

If salary/hassle ratio is good then stick with it for the time being. I wouldn't want to be moving companies at the moment anyway. 

I've got 20 years in my current employer and won't be leaving anytime soon. My salary is decent and my benefits (pension, insurances, etc) are worth thousands extra every year. Plus i'm working from home now and it suits me. I still have busy spells but not like it used to be. I'm happy with the status quo for now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Don't sweat it. When you are retired and playing with your grandkids, you won't think "I wish I had focused more on my career"

If salary/hassle ratio is good then stick with it for the time being. I wouldn't want to be moving companies at the moment anyway. 

I've got 20 years in my current employer and won't be leaving anytime soon. My salary is decent and my benefits (pension, insurances, etc) are worth thousands extra every year. Plus i'm working from home now and it suits me. I still have busy spells but not like it used to be. I'm happy with the status quo for now. 

A large part of me thinks I'll never even try to go higher than my current grade. Comfortable lifestyle, not too stressful and let's me work how I like. 

Just seems a bit weird as I always wanted to go higher up the ladder when younger and didn't think I'd settle before I even turned 40.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

A large part of me thinks I'll never even try to go higher than my current grade. Comfortable lifestyle, not too stressful and let's me work how I like. 

Just seems a bit weird as I always wanted to go higher up the ladder when younger and didn't think I'd settle before I even turned 40.

I know where you are coming from. I think the pandemic has realigned a lot of peoples views on things, including work. I'd probably like to get up one more grade but I won't sweat it. Anything higher than that and the pressure can be immense. I saw a good friend become a husk of his former self because of a few quick promotions took him into a very senior role. He's ok now and changed roles but its not for everyone and its for me. 

I've been working full time since I was 18. I've done 24 years in full time work and while that isn't out of the ordinary, I've made it my aim, my goal, to have the option of being out of full time employment in 10 years time, at the age of 52. It sounds a long time in the future, 120 months... but we're 16 months into covid and its gone in the blink of an eye. I'm not saying I want to fully retire at 52, but I want options at that point... maybe going part time or working at Starbucks or something. I think the phrase is "f*ck you" money... having enough that you don't need to work, but choose to do so and if you get fed up with it, you can just leave without worrying about money or how you are going to pay the bills. 

20 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Yesterday, I was offered a leadership position at a new mental health facility making almost 10 grand more a year than I am making now. While of course I am flattered and proud of myself for being offered this, the only issue is that I live in North Carolina and this new facility is clear across the country in Washington state(Spokane).  A big decision to make for sure(They want a decision by the 20th of this month).  A lot's of pro's and con's need to be looked at: Some of the pro's are of course the additional money, being closer to my dad, etc. But then some of the con's are being away from all my other family and friends, not knowing anybody, additional money yes but I am sure cost of living is more, etc.

Gonna put a lot of thought into it and make the best decision.  Again is great that even thought of this position and we shall see.

I feel like I’d need a pay increase to be a life changing amount to make me move that far away. I’m talking, an amount that would see me able to live my life significantly more comfortably, whether that be through a better property/ generally better lifestyle etc. In GB terms I think I’d need it to be, maybe, 30k+ more, for example.

• Like 2

My mate has just got a new job at Coinbase (crypto currency wallet, for those that don’t know). He doesn’t like the difficult targets at our current place (and tbf, if I was in his role, I wouldn’t like it either. It sounds very tough). He applied for this role a few months back and has got the job.

The role sounds very well compensated. He’s currently a grade below me, and on around 7-8k less, but at Coinbase he will be essentially side-stepping into the same role he does currently, but he’ll be getting a 15k payrise, plus £10,000 of Coinbase shares every year, plus a monthly £90 ‘working from home’ allowance, plus a monthly £50 ‘wellness’ allowance (ie: gym membership etc) to spend (or not) on whatever you want, plus it’s completely remote working, so no office at all.

It all sounds too good to be true!

On the one hand, as they seemingly don’t have/need a local office, the money the company saves on that, they seem to be happy to throw at staff. On the other hand, crypto currency is very volatile, and I would be pretty concerned for my job security if I worked there, as a crash in the market could affect their business drastically, and I feel like all of the remote workers would be the first ones to get the can if they needed to reduce numbers.

Anyway, I’m curious to see how he gets on there and if the targets and workload are bad, and if they’re not, I may be tempted to have a look there!

46 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know where you are coming from. I think the pandemic has realigned a lot of peoples views on things, including work. I'd probably like to get up one more grade but I won't sweat it. Anything higher than that and the pressure can be immense. I saw a good friend become a husk of his former self because of a few quick promotions took him into a very senior role. He's ok now and changed roles but its not for everyone and its for me. 

I've been working full time since I was 18. I've done 24 years in full time work and while that isn't out of the ordinary, I've made it my aim, my goal, to have the option of being out of full time employment in 10 years time, at the age of 52. It sounds a long time in the future, 120 months... but we're 16 months into covid and its gone in the blink of an eye. I'm not saying I want to fully retire at 52, but I want options at that point... maybe going part time or working at Starbucks or something. I think the phrase is "f*ck you" money... having enough that you don't need to work, but choose to do so and if you get fed up with it, you can just leave without worrying about money or how you are going to pay the bills. 

Yeah, I always thought I'd go at least one rung higher up but seeing what my wife deals with being at that grade I'm good where I am. 

The pay bands basically overlap (especially with tax implications) so there's hardly any real bump until you've been in role a long time or done a few lateral moves. 

Completely agree about trying to get out earlier than the norm but then getting something just to keep me busy and have some money coming in still. After seeing the deterioration in a few family members after they'd retired I'm going to want something to keep my brain active. Maybe not working in a customer facing role though based off the comments on here about the abuse you get being a waiter etc. 

We took someone on as a basic drawing technician. Proper full time paid role, none of this intern / apprentice stuff. They were supposed to start a week ago, but then asked if they could start this week instead, which we agreed to.

Turned up Monday, appeared to be a normal newbie starter, all ok. Turned up Tuesday, lunchtime asked to go home as they were feeling unwell. Which obviously we agreed to. An hour later we received an email saying they wouldn’t be coming back, they were having a think about their lifestyle choices.

Lifestyle choices, eh. When I were a lad…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We took someone on as a basic drawing technician. Proper full time paid role, none of this intern / apprentice stuff. They were supposed to start a week ago, but then asked if they could start this week instead, which we agreed to.

Turned up Monday, appeared to be a normal newbie starter, all ok. Turned up Tuesday, lunchtime asked to go home as they were feeling unwell. Which obviously we agreed to. An hour later we received an email saying they wouldn’t be coming back, they were having a think about their lifestyle choices.

Probably realised wouldn’t be able to afford a new house and a new car so what’s the point?

24 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You bloody hazing new starters again? You have been told about this. 

• Like 1

Â