New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

Still think Nike are to blame.

Arsenal - got Nike kits... Changed badge

Villa - got Nike kits... Changed badge

City - got Nike kits... Changed badge

Everton - got Nike kits... Changed badge.

And in evertons case it was explicitly mentioned that the Nike deal was part of the reason. The new crest was "easier"... Or something.

I don't know if its been mentioned, but the premier league don't allow stars on the shirts.

That's why we incorporated it into our crest.

What about Man City?

not sure. But I'm sure when we were first redesigning ours the star got mentioned and it was said that we weren't allowed a star on the shirt for the EC Edited by Stevo985

I can't see us making a return to the round badge I'm afraid chaps.

As far as I'm aware, it was changed for copyright/trademark purposes as it had been in circulation for such a long time and used by so many people (before football clubs protected their brand) so copyrighting it became impossible.

It's the same reason why Arsenal and Liverpool changed their crest too, and why the Italian national team stopped having the "Italia - il Tricolore" shield on their kit.

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of the situation.  It's not to say we couldn't have A round badge, but it'd have to be significantly different from the old one.

I came on to post just this - the question was asked directly to Paul Faulkner at a supporters meeting and he gave the exact answer above. Such a pity as it's a great badge.

• Like 1

My problems with current badge:

- Poncey, prancing lion

- Colouring (too much blue, not enough claret)

- Shape of the shield

- Location of the star

- 'AVFC' instead of 'Aston Villa F.C.'

Its not a poncey prancing lion.Its a lion rampant.The definition of rampant is......fierce: exhibiting ferocious behavior or fierceness of spirit,not poncey at all.

If that's how you view it, then good for you. I don't see any of the aforementioned emboldened in the current lion myself. I much preferred the lion in the old one.

None of you work in marketing then if you want to drop the AVFC that is never going to happen.

Yet the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Bayern Munich etc. do have their full names in their badges. Doesn't seem to do them any harm on the marketing front.

warrior-reveals-all-new-liverpool-home-k

Oh yeah, forgot that they had changed it.

Still think Nike are to blame.

Arsenal - got Nike kits... Changed badge

Villa - got Nike kits... Changed badge

City - got Nike kits... Changed badge

Everton - got Nike kits... Changed badge.

And in evertons case it was explicitly mentioned that the Nike deal was part of the reason. The new crest was "easier"... Or something.

All coincidence I'm afraid.  City's new badge was several years pre-Nike, Villa's badge was Randy's preference, Arsenal was for copyright reasons and the Everton/Nike thing is a myth too.

Why aren't we allowed one?

If only someone had explained it in detail just a few posts above yours.  That would've been really convenient.

• Like 1

If only someone had explained it in detail just a few posts above yours.  That would've been really convenient.

I saw that. It's just that choosing not to do it for copyright issues isn't the same as not being allowed to. I thought Supernova meant it was against the rules or something.

• Like 1

I saw that. It's just that choosing not to do it for copyright issues isn't the same as not being allowed to. I thought Supernova meant it was against the rules or something.

Ah, fair enough.  Apologies that my post missed a ;) too, and consequently read like I'm a bell...

nike has dumbed down everyones badges to make it cheap for them to produce to give them a bigger profit.

I'd go back to the round 80's badge tomorrow

Nope.  Not true.

• Like 1

I've said before, but the problem with the current badge is that it was designed by committee, in a way.

They sent out that survey, all the fans answered the questions and it gave a load of things that people wanted included.

So they chucked all of those things onto a badge and that was it.

It seemed like they just went lion, tick. Star, tick. Shield, tick. AVFC, tick. Done!

At no point did anybody stand back and say "does this actually look any good?"

It reminds me of Homer's car in the Simpsons. Just because you chuck a load of cool things onto a piece of paper doesn't actually mean it looks good. You still need some sort of artistic license or someone with a designer's brain to pull it all together. And it very much seems like nobody did that with our badge.

I actually blame Nike.

Right on. There were choices for the club name 1) Aston Villa 2) Aston Villa FC 3) Aston Villa Football Club 4) AVFC and the three choices for the name in full split the vote and as a result AVFC had the highest votes at like 35%. And thus we got AVFC on the badge.

Couple of new ones. Trying to stay with the round design but not too similar to the previous one.

new.jpg

I really like these ones. Color combo is soothing to the eyes. I'd go with the one in the middle but with Aston Villa instead of Prepared.

Edited by nepal_villan

Couple of new ones. Trying to stay with the round design but not too similar to the previous one.

new.jpg

Big fan of the middle one, would be tempted to bin off the text altogether though and reposition the lion more centrally. But really like that middle one.

Then have 'Aston Villa        Prepared'  around the outside of the badge itself maybe rather than as part of it (text in white on a claret kit and in claret on a white/blue kit)

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1