New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

30 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I quite like the current lion, but the badge overall stinks of design by commitee, which it was, if I recall correctly. Didn't Lerner get everyone to vote on what they wanted to be in the badge, or something like that?

I'm sure there was a vote involved. I distinctly remember being in my sixth form school library using the computers (internet access was rare in those days) to vote.

@Okonokos is spot on about the colours. The blue and the yellow are so pale and indistinct that the lion seems to wash into the shield except when you look at it up-close. Even worse when websites that use white/light grey backgrounds represent us with the white-bordered badge. The whole thing all but sinks into the page (see Google, for example).

I'm not set on us returning to a round shield, simply because too many redesigns employ one. I'd prefer the shield we've got, while adding a bit more detail and seeing a return of the scroll, or using something more distinctive. I even wouldn't be averse to removing the surrounding shield entirely and leaving the lion on its own, akin to 1878-1886 and 1969-1973. In any case, I would like us to think outside the box and not just settle on the 1973-1992 design.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 2

I love the most recent version of the Lion. Really don't like the star (would rather the gold one above the badge, but understand the restrictions around this) and I hate the AVFC lettering. People bring up valid points regarding the colours also.

Personally I wouldn't mind if just the Lion was our badge, but if that's too minimalist, it needs to have Aston Villa FC/Football Club on the badge somewhere and not just AVFC.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Okonokos said:

I'm sure there was a vote involved. I distinctly remember being in my sixth form school library using the computers (internet access was rare in those days) to vote.

It was in like 2007. Internet access was not rare. 😆

The vote was bullshit though. I remember there being a question on the club name to include. The options were Aston Villa. Aston Villa FC, or AVFC. The vote was split on whether or not to have fc after the name so we ended up with AVFC. Despite well over half of the voters wanting Aston Villa on it.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The vote was bullshit though. I remember there being a question on the club name to include. The options were Aston Villa. Aston Villa FC, or AVFC. The vote was split on whether or not to have fc after the name so we ended up with AVFC. Despite well over half of the voters wanting Aston Villa on it.

Woah woah woah; are you suggesting the vote options weren't thought through so that one choice (that had a multitude of different versions depending on how you viewed it) was unfairly put up against a single binary option?!

We should be careful to make sure that never happens again through fear it may spread to even more important decisions that would impact on generations of people! Can you imagine what would happen at a Government level if people didn't think through what options to put on a ballot?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah, internet access was rare then compared to today. No Twitter. No smart phones for going online whenever you wanted (Sounds great, actually). Either had to wait until you got home or had to make use of those free periods in the sixth form library checking Villa news 😂

I just remember the whole thing being a bit of a joke. I'm convinced any of us on here could improve the badge in about 10 minutes.

The roundel is the best we've had in my opinion. Also, under that sign did we conquer (and go down and stuff but... **** you!).

Claret outer circle, blue inner circle, claret lion, gold piping and lettering. Make it so.

Badge is fine for me ... The the position of the star is my only gripe after a few years ago my old housemates drew on all the shirts I had with it on (about 5) in permanent marker a little line so it looked like the lion was holding a sparkler the Fookin barstewards ...

• Haha 1

On 27/01/2018 at 12:32, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

In regards to the circular badge, I think when the good doctor's vision and plan comes to fruition and we're back to challenging and conquering in the league and in europe, thats when it should make its comeback.

Ha

• Sad 1

On 05/03/2020 at 00:00, Okonokos said:

Yeah, internet access was rare then compared to today. No Twitter. No smart phones for going online whenever you wanted (Sounds great, actually). Either had to wait until you got home or had to make use of those free periods in the sixth form library checking Villa news 😂

I just remember the whole thing being a bit of a joke. I'm convinced any of us on here could improve the badge in about 10 minutes.

There were definitely phones with internet on them in 2007. I remember I started this same job in 2006 and used to use MSN on my Nokia 6630 with a 3G connection. Also remember using Facebook and MySpace on it. I used to sit in the canteen on my lunch breaks browsing the internet on it whilst listening to fm radio - nowadays phones don't even have radio on them.

Guess it depends on how much into tech each person was back then, but it was definitely available for those that wanted it or learned how to use their phone for features other than calling and texting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Junxs said:

There were definitely phones with internet on them in 2007. I remember I started this same job in 2006 and used to use MSN on my Nokia 6630 with a 3G connection. Also remember using Facebook and MySpace on it. I used to sit in the canteen on my lunch breaks browsing the internet on it whilst listening to fm radio - nowadays phones don't even have radio on them.

Guess it depends on how much into tech each person was back then, but it was definitely available for those that wanted it or learned how to use their phone for features other than calling and texting.

May brand new phone has a radio. 

Ya boo sucks! 

6 hours ago, Junxs said:

My point was it was not as prevalent as it is today. I was 17 and didn't have a phone. Not even a Nokia. So it was either wait until I got home or use the school library computer and that's exactly what I remember doing to vote on the stupid badge ideas.

Edited by Okonokos

On 05/03/2020 at 00:00, Okonokos said:

Yeah, internet access was rare then compared to today. No Twitter. No smart phones for going online whenever you wanted (Sounds great, actually).

8 hours ago, Okonokos said:

My point was it was not as prevalent as it is today. I was 17 and didn't have a phone. Not even a Nokia. So it was either wait until I got home or use the school library computer and that's exactly what I remember doing to vote on the stupid badge ideas.

Should have just said you were young and didn't have access to it then, rather than claiming internet access was rare in 2007 😂