Drug scandal at 'major club'.

useless

The use of the word major speaks volumes, IMO.

If it were top flight, they'd have said so. Or they'd have said premier league.

There's no reason to use the word Major unless they're trying to make it sound a little more high profile than it actually is.

My guess is a championship club.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

There's no reason to use the word Major unless they're trying to make it sound a little more high profile than it actually is.

If they used premier league club then it becomes blatantly obvious who it is so could be covering their arses. Edited by jim

If they used premier league club then it becomes blatantly obvious who it is so could be covering their arses.

How does saying its 1 out of 20 clubs make it blatantly obvious who it is?

Its like when papers use the words "star player" for the most patently average players around.

If they used premier league club then it becomes blatantly obvious who it is so could be covering their arses.
how would it?

I'd still have no idea short of it being one out of 20 possible clubs.

And if they were sure their info was correct, why would they need to cover their arses?

From reading the article It doesn't sound like it's any of the players or coaching staff.

I wouldn't deduct anything from the fact that they've used the phrase 'major club'. I imagine for legal reason's they're not allowed to say whether it's a Premier club because that would narrow it down too much.

The whole story could be a complete fabrication, they haven't named anyone or any club so nobody is going to take legal action and nothing is ever going to come of it.

Still, fills a few column inches and sells a few papers when they've not got a story I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it was Leeds http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/08/leeds-united-elland-road-class-a-drugs_n_5288347.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Leeds United installed cameras at Elland Road following reports of the alleged misuse of class A drugs "in and around the boardroom".

The club's former managing director, David Haigh, attended a police station voluntarily to speak to West Yorkshire Police detectives less than a month after new owner Massimo Cellino discovered the surveillance equipment during a security sweep of the ground, according to the Yorkshire Evening Post.

A statement read: "As former MD, David was fully aware of the installation of these devices which were quite properly paid for by the club."

"They were put in place following reports between end of Jan and early March alleging the misuse of Class A drugs in/around the boardroom."

"It was David's view that not to have taken action to seek to provide evidence against alleged perpetrators would have been breach of duty.

"David is of the firm belief that illegal drugs have no place in football, whether it be on the pitch or in the boardroom."

Â