• Good
    • Very good
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very good

The front two let us down badly, I expect that from Weimann, but Gabby has been just as bad lately - so much for always showing up when we need him.

Guzan, Vlaar, Bertand, KEA and Albrighton all did well today.

• Like 1

The front two let us down badly, I expect that from Weimann, but Gabby has been just as bad lately - so much for always showing up when we need him.

That was the problem last week too - no impact up top... you have to wonder where our next goal's coming from!

Have to be happy with the point, especially with our poor form. Performance wasn't great but there are some positives. Get something against Swansea and we are safe IMO. Can't see Fulham, Norwich or Cardiff catching us and we have a game in hand on those teams as well.

Edited by Supervillan78

That was the problem last week too - no impact up top... you have to wonder where our next goal's coming from!

To be honest mate thats why I would have liked to see tonev instead of Weimann, yes his shooting has been infuriating at times but at least he is direct and at least doesn't mind having a go.

As you say, its difficult to see where our next goal is coming from so I certainly would not view the introduction of tonev and robinson as any sort of gamble at this stage.

Just got back. Full credit to the Villa fans who turned up today, I wasnt expecting to see as many as I did (35k). Shows that when the chips are down, fans do answer the call and get behind the team. I believe that Tuesday's events were a small turning point, we look harder to beat and that's not down to Lambert and the "tactics" of his two suspended muppets, but the fresh air that the change in coaching staff has bought. I also loved that cheeky banner in the Holte End, it very much is Sid's team as he was more active on the sidelines, with Dead Man Walking just subdued in the dugout.

However, despite things looking slightly better than the awful performances of the last 4 games, Southampton never looked like they were troubled at all, this Villa team is one of the most limited and predictable I've ever seen and wouldnt have scored if we'd played for another 90 minutes. There was just absolutely no attacking threat whatsoever. It felt like Soton were just toying with us at times, if they'd stepped up another gear we'd have been toast. They clearly were on the beach and going through the motions, taking it easy which was also a rather sad indictment.

We appeared to be 2nd to every ball and without a few choice interceptions by Ron Vlaar we'd have easily lost. Still at least Baker never cocked up at any point and the defending was pretty solid.

We are only going to survive because there are 3/4 teams worse than us. Only 4 more games with Lambert to go.

• Like 1

It was sunny and nothing bad happened - for this season, that's good.

We gave it a try and we looked fairly comfortable without looking threatening (as did they) and overall it was all rather relaxing and nice I thought. The football equivalent of a great big spliff.

Albrighton did well on his 100th appearance.

• Like 3

For all the excessive masturbation about Luke Shaw, he didn't half let Albrighton get some crosses in. I enjoyed that battle. Our opponents in the World Cup will enjoy it more.

I'm pretty sure Villa won't be at the World Cup.

For all the excessive masturbation about Luke Shaw, he didn't half let Albrighton get some crosses in. I enjoyed that battle. Our opponents in the World Cup will enjoy it more.

I'm pretty sure Villa won't be at the World Cup.

Lambert out.

• Like 2

One shot at goal!  One shot at goal all ****** game!!!!!!!!!!!!  and that was from our winger not our pitiful strikers!!!

You're the second person to say we only had one shot, I'm sure we had more than one - where's that coming from?

One shot at goal! One shot at goal all ****** game!!!!!!!!!!!! and that was from our winger not our pitiful strikers!!!

You're the second person to say we only had one shot, I'm sure we had more than one - where's that coming from?
2 off the top of my head are the spammed shot from KEA when it was easier to score after Borucs crap kick, and Westwood's slice from 30 yards.

Just back.

Pros

The first time in 8 matches I have seen Villa not lose. That match was the other 0-0 borefest v Sunderland.  Living the dream.

The second half they played okay and have a bit of fight with them.

Over 35,000 paid money to see this- we have pretty loyal support methinks

Vlaar was excellent today, Motm for me 

Albrighton did have a good game but lacked the killer final delivery. At least was busy and got people out of their seats

Nice to see young Robinson come of the bench. Breathing new spirit into the next generation of people in the claret and blue and all that

One more point to safety and millions of tv revenue for our dear owner

Cons

We are pleased to be second best versus a Southampton side. What part of the bright future is this? I am confused Randy

Why were Southampton playing in black? They are not New Zealand

The ref was poor today I thought

Southampton have better players than us. Read that sentence several times and then weep for our lost ambition

For all the effort, we have a bunch of barely premier league standard players and unless Lambert (or another poor sucker) has sufficient funds to buy quality players, trying to stay in the worlds greatest league , is the height of our targets.

Just looked at the table- we are eight,8, points behind Crystal Palace. Jesus Wept.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Happy with a point, edging closer to safety and a new owner. Sunderlands win cranks up the pressure on Albion and Cardiff as they face them before the end of the season.

Voted Vlaar as MOTM although KEA, Albrighton, Westwood and Bertrand were good as well. Special mention to Baker for not making a howler today.

All in all a better saturday than we've had in a while, fingers crossed both Liverpool and City don't slip up.

• Like 1

Pleased to see reasonably positive comments as I think it's only right. A pretty awful game to watch but a point to stop the rot was probably an OK result, given recent form.

We didn't do much wrong at least, but I do wonder where the goals are going to come from. 

I would have taken 1 point before kick-off, I can't fault anyone at Villa Park today, they all played their part (OK some better than others) only mistake i could see is why our best header of a ball (Holt) was not brought on when Albrighton was on fire, the lad made some great crosses and i'm sure Holt would have bagged us a goal.

Â