$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Matt Law @Matt_Law_DT 42m
@AVFCTransTweet I've got numerous sources on this, all credible. But I'm not a fortune teller so all I can say is strong interest is there.
8 secs · Like

Matt Law @Matt_Law_DT 43m
@AVFCTransTweet the club had nothing to do with this article. In fact they continue to deny Villa is for sale.

Matt Law ‏@Matt_Law_DT  39m
@AVFCTransTweet I'm sure villa will reiterate the line that the club is not for sale.
Details

Edited by Villan4Life

I'm as hopeful as the next person that this happens, but that Telegraph article has nothing concrete at all, nothing more than we've all read on Twitter etc.

• Like 2

I think in terms of stability & because any potential American buyer would not be up to speed with the hands on management side of things, that it would be realistic to stick with the continuity of Lambert & see what happens for 12 months.

The downside of this is obviously, if Lambert isn't really in the long term plan, why invest in players of his choice.

Assuming there will be investment, the first stage would have to be to assemble a team that can compete in the league, even around mid table & then build from there. We have laboured for 2 seasons now & there is no platform at present to build on.

I think in terms of stability & because any potential American buyer would not be up to speed with the hands on management side of things, that it would be realistic to stick with the continuity of Lambert & see what happens for 12 months.

The downside of this is obviously, if Lambert isn't really in the long term plan, why invest in players of his choice.

Assuming there will be investment, the first stage would have to be to assemble a team that can compete in the league, even around mid table & then build from there. We have laboured for 2 seasons now & there is no platform at present to build on.

But even if Lambert isn't the long term plan of these potential new owners he still has the ability to buy some better players than what we have been restricted to these last few years. His expensive signings such as Benteke and Okore look like some of his better players he has bought. I'd like to hope that buying players of a similar ilk to these two wouldn't financially cripple any new owners, and if it did then that says an awful lot about Lerner and his judgement more than anything else, whilst hopefully ensuring we aren't quite as hot and cold as we have been performance wise...

Edited by GingerVilla

I've got to admit, I worry a lot about stuff like this. Lerner is far from one of the worst owners, but there are much worse out there who are willing to put the club's future at risk to get 2/3 years enjoyment out of it.

This 'stay up' talk says it all, they just want to use us as a play-thing.

Ah well, being a Villa fan is so boring nowadays that I'll take any kind of excitement.

• Like 1

Does it ultimately matter if we get some rich owners though? Isn't FFP going to prevent clubs from spending more than their income?

I don't give a feck about Europe at the moment, I just want football to be fun again.

FWIW, you just do what City did, get one of your buddys to sponsor you for £300m and there you go.

Inside, as well as outside of the club, there has been talk of Randy Lerner selling up, with sources indicating that a deal has been agreed in principle, with investors from America, subject to Villa surviving in the Premier League this season.

Villa, however, have insisted that there is no truth to the suggestions that any talks are taking place and insist that their stance has not changed from February, when Paul Faulkner, the chief executive, said that the club had not been put on the market and that Lerner is not actively looking to sell.

I can't help suspect that the 'sources' are internet message boards like this and the bells are ringing. I'll be surprised if there is anything in these rumours. That's not to say a takeover couldn't possibly happen, I just don't think any of these people reporting actually know anything about one. 

Does it ultimately matter if we get some rich owners though? Isn't FFP going to prevent clubs from spending more than their income?

A rich owner has ways to increase our income via sponsorship deals etc. if he wants to.

I'm not cheering anything yet, no matter how necessary it is. There's just so many pitfalls to avoid with a new owner. Will it be an Allam, who will only give us money if we change our name to Birmingham Dragons to make us more appealing to Chinese betting syndicates? A Zingarevich who just doesn't care? A Yeung or a Shinawatra who'll cause a crisis with their personal shadiness? An Abramovic or Cellini who'll sack the manager every 6 months? A Ridsdale who'll send us into administration? A Tan who'll insist on briefing the press against the manager and choosing who to pick?

I'm cautiously hopeful, but there's a lot worse owners than Lerner out there. We might be back here in a year or two reminiscing about him yet. 

Might as well be the next Abramovich then as we aren't exactly known for our long term Management appointments as it is, are we?

I've got to admit, I worry a lot about stuff like this. Lerner is far from one of the worst owners, but there are much worse out there who are willing to put the club's future at risk to get 2/3 years enjoyment out of it.

This 'stay up' talk says it all, they just want to use us as a play-thing.

Ah well, being a Villa fan is so boring nowadays that I'll take any kind of excitement.

Staying up is a very fair condition to a deal. Our value would drop dramatically if we dropped down. I don't think we should use that as a stick against a new owner.

I'm as hopeful as the next person that this happens, but that Telegraph article has nothing concrete at all, nothing more than we've all read on Twitter etc.

It's the headline article in both the Guardian and the Telegraph. They both released it at the same time last night. They must have something concrete even if they can't print it. It's not like it's the Sun. I was sceptical about this whole thing until last night - but there has to be something happening now.

Reckon it's 50/50 how this could turn out - anyone know what the success rate is with American owners? Gilette and Hicks were a disaster, Sunderland seem to be going down due to management similar to Lerner's, under Ellis Short. Fulham's guy seems a bit trigger happy with managers but he's invited heavily in January taken a gamble and it could pay off. The Glazers have no money of their own....

Would take a John Henry every day of the week.

Bingo! ... if the club doesn't find some extra income, FFP won't allow unlimited spending. The days, where a club (like Chelsea FC) could spend, spend, spend and lose £650 mill over a 10 year period in order to 'build a team', is long gone.

The big clubs' wage bill is near £200 mill a year. Our total revenue is just above £80 mill. Sure a sponsorship with Orcale worth £200 mill a year would help, but UEFA wouldn't look kindly on that.