$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

The texans arent that well run.

Neither are the cowboys. Any others you want info on?

Didn't Kwan say that the team had been under-performing rather than badly run?

Yes, he said they're well run but haven't been succesful.

The texans arent that well run.

Neither are the cowboys. Any others you want info on?

Didn't Kwan say that the team had been under-performing rather than badly run?

I think he just said they weren't that successful but not whether they were underachieving or not.

Edited by Isa

Quick Google search gives me this from Nov last year - http://www.punditarena.com/uncategorized/pohalloran/seasons-five-underperforming-nfl-teams/

Not knowing anything about NFL doesn't make it particularly useful for me :/ Although the Houstan Texans are listed first, and our pre-season friendlies are in that region, as I'm sure every man and his dog is aware.

I made the Houston connection too but Kwan did say also that it isn't anybody who had been mentioned in the thread so far and just looking on Wiki the only owner for a major sports in Houston that hasn't been mentioned on this thread is Leslie Lee Alexander who owns the Houston Rockets.

I mentioned him actually ;)

• Like 1

When I think of well-ran American sports teams who are under-performing, I immediately think of the Pittsburgh Steelers, though there are a few who could be considered, not least my own New York Giants. Both have links to the Mara family who have owned the Giants for generations. They are in fact are regarded as the best-ran team in sports due to the stability there has been in the organisation for so long.

I'd highly doubt that either the Rooney family (who own the Steelers) or the Mara family are involved in any takeover here, though.

Bob McNair of the Houston Texans could make sense, as they did under-perform massively this past season. They were predicted by many to be Superbowl contenders but ended up with the worst record in the entire league.

Edited by adz.villa

Bob McNair of the Houston Texans could make sense, as they did under-perform massively this past season. They were predicted by many to be Superbowl contenders but ended up with the worst record in the entire league.

Any particular reason why they performed so bad? If this (admittedly almost baseless) speculation were to be correct, would we want someone like this owning Villa?

When I think of well-ran American sports teams who are under-performing, I immediately think of the Pittsburgh Steelers, though there are a few who could be considered, not least my own New York Giants. Both have links to the Mara family who have owned the Giants for generations. They are in fact are regarded as the best-ran team in sports due to the stability there has been in the organisation for so long.

I'd highly doubt that either the Rooney family (who own the Steelers) or the Mara family are involved in any takeover here, though.

Pittsburgh Steelers. Hmmm. :detect:

• Like 1

FC Dallas...... well run but have totally under performed in recent years.

Chairman, Hunt Sports Group         Clark Hunt
    President, FC Dallas                        Dan Hunt

Vivek Ranadive Sacramento Kings. Doesn't he make both Kwan and Tony right?

I believe it would make them both right, he only took over the Kings last year though after selling his share in the Warriors. However, it was the biggest takeover in NBA history and he has some rich backers alongside him.

He is a key example of how you shouldn't judge these guys on their net worth by the way. He is estimated to be worth around $700m, the Kings takeover cost around $500m.

• Like 3

Any particular reason why they performed so bad? If this (admittedly almost baseless) speculation were to be correct, would we want someone like this owning Villa?

I don't watch a lot of their games, but from the outside looking in it seems like it was just one of those seasons where everything went wrong on the field. Their normally serviceable quarterback had the worst season of his career, their star running back was ruled out for the season early on, and their head coach was hospitalised after collapsing on the sideline during a game.

I've read stories that their salary cap was poorly managed which meant their hands were tied when they need to bring in new players, but I'm not completely sure of their financial situation.

We already had a yank owner who owned a failing American football team I think we should steer clear of these sorts.

Just to be clear, the Steelers are the most successful team in terms of Superbowls in the history of the NFL. Their last one was in 2009. They haven't been terrible but they've been under-performing by their own lofty expectations.

I'm hoping Kwan's wrong about it being someone who already owns a US sports team. I think we need someone who can concentrate on the VIlla without having their financial clout and attention split between the two teams.

• Like 2

So have puns been banned now?

I'm out.

They're not banned, briny, but pages of the things don't help people reading on small phones and the app. Same as massive nested quotes. Most threads are fine, but there's so many pages so quickly that scrolling through pages full of puns to get to some "news" is annoying for many posters. We're just trying to keep the site useable for everyone. Hopefully people understand why.

The Kwan puns are the best thing about this thread.

• Like 1