$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Didn't think there would be any sort of auction going on, was just interested whether the eggs were in one basket or if there are other potential buyers in yhe wings should one pull out. Thanks for the info though mate.

The nature of these deals doesn't really lend itself to other groups swooping in the last minute

I can appreciate that. Anything further you can add on the deal with regards to the interested party?

Just off the phone with a fellow economist who is good mates with ex-Bank of England guvnor (and Villa fan) Mervyn King. King said that Mike Ilitch has been in negotiations with Lerner for months. Ilitch owns both the NFL and the NHL team in Detroit. Used to own a "soccer" team (as the Yanks call it) and is now looking to branch out after Detroit's bankruptcy.

Heard it here first #itk #nilsinfior

If this is true, I'd guess it was something for his family to 'play' with as he has 2 months to buy us before his 85th birthday.

Just off the phone with a fellow economist who is good mates with ex-Bank of England guvnor (and Villa fan) Mervyn King. King said that Mike Ilitch has been in negotiations with Lerner for months. Ilitch owns both the NFL and the NHL team in Detroit. Used to own a "soccer" team (as the Yanks call it) and is now looking to branch out after Detroit's bankruptcy.

Certainly adds weight to what Kwan is saying but a little worried the guy is 84 years of age. A little old to be starting a new venture.

Anschutts owns Houston, hunt owns Dallas

Don't know anything, just adding a few facts to place in context of some of the above.

Just had a strange thought - wonder if a new owner would want Lambert to manage a team in Texas? I can see part of Lerners conditions being that his people are taken care of... Sheer musing.

apologies if someone has already posted this from Forbes:

http://tinyurl.com/kto8qcb

I'm not  sure how they came up with the statement about net spending on  player transfers the last 5 years. (The bolding and underlining is NOT mine.  Don't know how to get rid).

Randy Lerner May Get $340 Million For Aston Villa

Randy Lerner has officially announced he is selling Aston Villa. The former owner of the NFL’s Cleveland Browns could get $340 million for the English soccer team, according to people with knowledge of the market for soccer teams. Big picture: there are lots of rich people thanks to the run up in stock prices the past four years and very few teams for sale.

When Lerner purchased a 39% interest in the team in August, 2006 from Doug Ellis, the enterprise value placed on the transaction was $106 million. For its2005-06 fiscal year the team generated revenue of $83 million and an operating loss (in the sense of earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortization and player transfer gains or losses) of $5.1 million (Note: all figures use an exchange rate of 1 British Pound equals $1.69 U.S. dollar). At that time, the team had $65 million of liabilities stacked on top of just $46 million of equity.

Lerner repaired the team’s balance sheet by infusing it with more than $200 million of cash, much of it from personal loans. Lerner also renovated the teams grounds, Villa Park. Over the past five seasons, only five English soccer teams–Manchester City, Chelsea, Manchester United, Stoke City and Liverpool–have spent more, net, on player transfers, than Aston Villa. The team’s performance on the pitch. quickly improved under Lerner’s ownership.

After finishing no higher than 10th place in the English Premiership for three consecutive seasons, Aston Villa finished sixth each season from 2008 through 2010. But as Aston Villa’s performance has slipped back the past few seasons its supporters and head coach, Paul Lambert, have been complaining about the lack of investment in star players.

While one can dispute the state of Aston Villa on the pitch, there can be no doubting the team’s improved financial health during the past eight years. Lerner subsequently exchanged his personal loans to Aston Villa for equity, which eventually gave him 100% ownership of the team. For its current fiscal year Aston Villa expects to report revenue of $169 million and operating income of almost $29 million. And the team now has more equity than debt.

Bankers say 12 times operating income ($348 million) is a reasonable valuation for a team like Aston Villa, given its long history and solid brand (the team was established in 1874 and has captured seven league championships, seven FA Cups and is one of only five English teams to have won the Champions League). Aston Villa, not in jeopardy of relegation, and will therefore continue to share in the Premier League’s lucrative television bounty, which pays the top 20 teams an average of $2.6 billion a season through 2016. For the 2012-13 season Aston Villa’s share was $76 million.

One area with upside: Villa Park, where attendance (relative to capacity) has been among the lowest in the Premier League despite having among the least expensive tickets. A new owner with deep pockets could possibly remedy that situation with a few more star players.

Certainly adds weight to what Kwan is saying but a little worried the guy is 84 years of age. A little old to be starting a new venture.

Might be a venture for one of the kids. To be fair if it is the ilitch family they aint that bad at improvement of sports teams. Something lerner has struggled with so hopefully we'll be on the up.

Hmmm, Ilitch owns the local baseball team not the NFL team and as far as I can recall, has never owned a soccer team. Otherwise, I agree he could potentially be a great owner. Wants to win and isn't afraid to spend to get there.

Also, I'd love to see the little Caesars mascot return with "Villa, villa" :)

Detroit declared bankrupt mid-last year, but was only confirmed in December. This fits in with the general timeline of rumors leaking of a sale in February. Although I said it was Mike Ilitch, I don't think my contact said it was Mike. Could have been one of his kids.

Anyway, he said it was NAILED ON.

#itk #fosagmagadh

Ilitch owns the Red Wings (who I have a fondness of) and has enjoyed a generally successful tenure with them. I don't know much else about him or how successful he has been with his other ventures though.

Edited by Isa

So basically out of all the ITKs - Kwan is probably the most believable. At least it sounds like there is a buyer of some sort - after hoping for a triumverate of awesome I was left with the summer of doom - Randy draws the purse strings shut, Lambo walks, Newcastle steal Delph, and we are left with the rudderless Mary Celeste of a club drifting straight towards the championship.... 

I haven't been active here for quite a number of years, but I'm still a regular reader. I've been following this thread for a while now, and when Ilitch was brought up I felt a need to post.

As a fellow Macedonian I'd be fairly excited for him to take the reigns, although his financial backing may pale in comparison with some of the other names thrown up in here. But what we need is sound management, and if he can provide that I'm all for it.

One of the many reasons I chose Villa years ago (despite having no affiliation with them in any shape or form) was because of our lion symbol, which is also a symbol of Macedonia. Maybe it was my calling all along :P, even though it's been a pretty crap one lately.

Here's the thing. I only know the bank side of things. I don't know if Lambert is coming to America. I don't know what Villa are planning. I don't know what's going to happen to the club.

I know: the prospective buyer and the figures.

I didn't even know we were handling this until I asked around. I'm very low on the totem pole. I'm not on the team or department handling this.

Kwan that's a **** sight more than anyone else on this forum!