$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Does it ultimately matter if we get some rich owners though? Isn't FFP going to prevent clubs from spending more than their income?

Bingo! ... if the club doesn't find some extra income, FFP won't allow unlimited spending. The days, where a club (like Chelsea FC) could spend, spend, spend and lose £650 mill over a 10 year period in order to 'build a team', is long gone.

The big clubs' wage bill is near £200 mill a year. Our total revenue is just above £80 mill. Sure a sponsorship with Orcale worth £200 mill a year would help, but UEFA wouldn't look kindly on that.

The rules are easily circumvented. FFP is a farce.

Does it ultimately matter if we get some rich owners though? Isn't FFP going to prevent clubs from spending more than their income?

That will depend. If the owner is rich enough and fashionable enough that we're allowed to join "club elite" then it'll be easy enough to find ways around the rules.

If we continue to be deemed unfashionable and outside the club, then the rules are designed to stop us being able to join. 

Bingo! ... if the club doesn't find some extra income, FFP won't allow unlimited spending. The days, where a club (like Chelsea FC) could spend, spend, spend and lose £650 mill over a 10 year period in order to 'build a team', is long gone.

The big clubs' wage bill is near £200 mill a year. Our total revenue is just above £80 mill. Sure a sponsorship with Orcale worth £200 mill a year would help, but UEFA wouldn't look kindly on that.

If you say so and who am I to argue.

City and PSG though are both in UEFA spotlight due to fantom sponsorship deals.

Edited by Villain4Life

Didn't Barca or something get embargo or transfer ban or something recently?

Didn't Barca or something get embargo or transfer ban or something recently?

Not cos of FFP. Think it was because they were breaching the rules of signing under-age players.

Bingo! ... if the club doesn't find some extra income, FFP won't allow unlimited spending. The days, where a club (like Chelsea FC) could spend, spend, spend and lose £650 mill over a 10 year period in order to 'build a team', is long gone.

The rules are being applied at the moment with each case deemed to be worthy of review getting looked at by those making the decisions. Nobody knows if it is a farce or not until several weeks time.

That's just the UEFA FFP. You then have the PL FFP to consider.

• Like 2

It makes sense. By making the club self-sustainable Randy would either attract a buyer or be able to continue run the club without having to donate his money any more. If either happens I will be OK. I really wouldn't mind Lerner staying and giving Lambert another £20m this summer, which appears to be what we can spend without going into the red. I don't want to see us signing players for £200k a week and all that bobbins if we do get a take over, I just won't find it particularly exciting. I'd rather we had the cash to buy some real young talent that we can build with and sell for profit, which would help with the FFP.

• Like 3

On the Ellison front here is one of the top Google image results for Ellison- baseball cap.

The colour is distinctive and is the same in the picture from VP ... :detect:

article-2303101-190D62A0000005DC-696_634

I think that's a Richard Mille "Rafael Nadal" watch.  About £600,000 worth.

Metro reckon £250mil will be given for new transfers!! similar to Liverpool all under 25 years old!! Hopefully cherry picking best youngsters around europe 

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/18/aston-villa-set-to-follow-liverpool-way-with-200million-takeover-4702794/

Aston Villa could be set to become the new Liverpool if two major American investors take over the club as expected at the end of the season.

Villa, who should avoid relegation to the Championship this season, are being targeted by two wealthy US-based investors ahead of a possible £200million take over.

According to the Telegraph, the deal will only go through if Paul Lambert’s men remain in the Premier League this term, but big plans are afoot.

If they enter the Villa hot seat, the new owners will reportedly try and recreate the success Liverpool since John W Henry took charge.

It’s thought that £250million will be made available for transfers, but just like the Reds, all deals would have to go through a transfer committee – with players under 25 the target.

Villa are already under American ownership, with Randy Lerner in charge, but he has cooled his plans to heavily invest in the team in recent seasons.

More on the possible takeover is expected to come out at the end of the campaign.

I'm as hopeful as the next person that this happens, but that Telegraph article has nothing concrete at all, nothing more than we've all read on Twitter etc.

It's the headline article in both the Guardian and the Telegraph. They both released it at the same time last night. They must have something concrete even if they can't print it. It's not like it's the Sun. I was sceptical about this whole thing until last night - but there has to be something happening now.

Reckon it's 50/50 how this could turn out - anyone know what the success rate is with American owners? Gilette and Hicks were a disaster, Sunderland seem to be going down due to management similar to Lerner's, under Ellis Short. Fulham's guy seems a bit trigger happy with managers but he's invited heavily in January taken a gamble and it could pay off. The Glazers have no money of their own....

Would take a John Henry every day of the week.

Sunderland are going down because their team is full of alchos.

Metro reckon £250mil will be given for new transfers!! similar to Liverpool all under 25 years old!! Hopefully cherry picking best youngsters around europe 

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/18/aston-villa-set-to-follow-liverpool-way-with-200million-takeover-4702794/

Aston Villa could be set to become the new Liverpool if two major American investors take over the club as expected at the end of the season.

Villa, who should avoid relegation to the Championship this season, are being targeted by two wealthy US-based investors ahead of a possible £200million take over.

According to the Telegraph, the deal will only go through if Paul Lambert’s men remain in the Premier League this term, but big plans are afoot.

If they enter the Villa hot seat, the new owners will reportedly try and recreate the success Liverpool since John W Henry took charge.

It’s thought that £250million will be made available for transfers, but just like the Reds, all deals would have to go through a transfer committee – with players under 25 the target.

Villa are already under American ownership, with Randy Lerner in charge, but he has cooled his plans to heavily invest in the team in recent seasons.

More on the possible takeover is expected to come out at the end of the campaign.

Where's that picture of that dude from South Park covered in spaff.

I'm as hopeful as the next person that this happens, but that Telegraph article has nothing concrete at all, nothing more than we've all read on Twitter etc.

It's the headline article in both the Guardian and the Telegraph. They both released it at the same time last night. They must have something concrete even if they can't print it. It's not like it's the Sun. I was sceptical about this whole thing until last night - but there has to be something happening now.

Reckon it's 50/50 how this could turn out - anyone know what the success rate is with American owners? Gilette and Hicks were a disaster, Sunderland seem to be going down due to management similar to Lerner's, under Ellis Short. Fulham's guy seems a bit trigger happy with managers but he's invited heavily in January taken a gamble and it could pay off. The Glazers have no money of their own....

Would take a John Henry every day of the week.

Sunderland are going down because their team is full of alchos.

Allegedly?

We'll remember a couple of months back some of the papers claiming that The Dalian Wanda Group wanted to buy Southampton only for that Group to deny it. Thats why I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

But groups are interested in us. I expect Villa to deny this, but it changes nothing.

• Like 2