Gordon 'Sid' Cowans

mikeyp102

We can only speculate....but it seems that a new direction is being sought and that does not suit all concerned.

In terms of a shake up or clear out, who am I to make judgment on the extent of that, based on the shenanigans of the last 6 years.

We can only hope that all the decisions and changes are now the right ones.

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

We can only speculate....but it seems that a new direction is being sought and that does not suit all concerned.

In terms of a shake up or clear out, who am I to make judgment on the extent of that, based on the shenanigans of the last 6 years.

We can only hope that all the decisions and changes are now the right ones.

Maybe Steve round wanted things done differently and gave the staff the option of doing it his way - much better to retire or resign than be sacked ? 

Either way the decision is made and we need to see who comes in which I would expect to happen quickly as we have lost 3 members of staff 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2014 at 12:08, Ginko said:

God I wish I was alive for that season and then that fateful night in Rotterdam. It makes me sad that I was a few years too late to see us at the top. I'd do anything to see us win the Europa League let alone the Champion's League. Still, it'd just be nice if we were playing some nice football and weren't flirting with relegation season after season. I'm not one of these proud fans who think we deserve to be in the upper echelons because we're the mighty Aston Villa, but God I want to see us challenging for the kind of honours we were back in the the good old days.

Watching that 80/81 footage and the 1982 final fills me with a lot of pride as a fan, but it also makes me incredibly sad and frustrated that thanks to the money in football there's a damn good chance us and a lot of other fantastic clubs will never get anywhere near that sort of thing again. I can only sympathise (not quite empathise, but damn close) what it must be like to be a Nottingham Forest fan right now.

I was very,very lucky to be a Villa Fan through all that time.....and cherished my day on that Great Night in Rotterdam....Never seen so many grown men weeping.It was that emotional and the opposition that day were a formidable outfit, probably the best team in Europe on reputation.

Sid was very much a part of that, I remember my old fella saying to me at QPR ( he was missing games by now through age)( Cup game)" who is the scarecrow" (as he had not seen him before) but obviously caught his eye.

not one for giving plaudits MOM declared after the match " what a player he is going to be"....He was a good judge of a player and that day was no exception.

Yes, Great days being a Villa fan .....but the thing that sticks with me most from those halcyon days was the gradual but noticeable/tangible improvement in the team almost on a match to match basis.

They'd call it retirement if it was humanely possible. Clearly it's not.

My first fave aswell... this has a sour taste, no matter how things are at the Academy (which I know nothing of). Something should've gone better here.

Haven't seen any mention on the official site regarding Tony mcandrew and Ben petty also leaving - Tony in particular has been here a long time and surely deserves a mention on the website to thank him and wish him well . 

Dr Tony has said it was retirement, so as faithful followers we do of course believe him. Although all faithful followers are advised to keep checking his Twitter since his views on this do seem a bit changeable. 

Gordon Cowans is one of the greatest servants this club has had and for that alone he deserves a bit of dignity as he departs from the club. Instead we have internet warriors diving in to blame him for the failure of the academy system and more or less saying they are glad he's gone . I suspect no-one really knows what they are talking about and even if they do they should keep it to themselves.

At least until Dr Tony's next tweet, which  may change everything.

9 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Dr Tony has said it was retirement, so as faithful followers we do of course believe him. Although all faithful followers are advised to keep checking his Twitter since his views on this do seem a bit changeable. 

At least until Dr Tony's next tweet, which  may change everything.

Being this bitter about Tony, because of meaningless tweets after he dropped 50m on a transfer window is ridiculous.

Blaming him for arseholes on Twitter is absurd. They always has been and always will be arseholes on Twitter.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is blaming Gordon Cowans for anything.

We have a new regime and they want to run it their way.....We have to give them that opportunity to prove themselves.

I have no idea whats gone on and can only wish Gordon all the best......I would be amazed if he is not as disappointed as we are over the last 6 years.....maybe that period has worn him out too....just speculating.

I'm not going down this road of picking sides.....Dr Tone has a massive job to do along with his board and managers....we have to let them get on with it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

• 2 years later...

One of my favourite things ever was the headline in a villa Fanzine which used to be called Missing Sid. 

It's first headline when renamed The Villa Bugle was "Villa Star ruins fanzine name" 

• 11 months later...
Â