Gordon 'Sid' Cowans

mikeyp102

Love the way Dr Tony suddenly seems very much at arms' length from the club and its decision-making when a potentially unpopular move like this happens. Unlike the previous impression that he was running the club single-handed.

A smart operator.

• Like 3

Well not to try and defend Tony but, most of his previous interactions revolved around an area where he had a part in the process.  Namely the signing of cheques for transfers.  This here is an area which would very much begin and end with the new technical director regardless of whether it was Steve or Sid who initiated it.  So Tony is probably rightly not committing on something he may not have been directly involved with.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Love the way Dr Tony suddenly seems very much at arms' length from the club and its decision-making when a potentially unpopular move like this happens. Unlike the previous impression that he was running the club single-handed.

A smart operator.

Wow that's a negative way of looking at it. I can see a possibility of that but one of a number of ways of looking at it and hard for me to see it that way. If a trend starts happening like this then ok but first one I'm going to let it slide without a thought.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Wow that's a negative way of looking at it. I can see a possibility of that but one of a number of ways of looking at it and hard for me to see it that way. If a trend starts happening like this then ok but first one I'm going to let it slide without a thought.

"Negative" or not, if this is the start of a pattern - the owner recognising the proper areas of decision making and influence for his management team - I will be pleased and see that as a positive development.

On the actual issue of Cowans leaving, while it is obviously true that our youth system has increasingly  been failing quite badly over the past 10 years or so, it would be easy (but probably flawed) to see the solution as simply sacking the staff who have been involved. The decline in our youth system has gone hand in hand with the decline of the club and it's a much deeper problem than the competence of the people who have been running it on the footballing side. Cowans's departure will only make sense if we see a more fundamental restructuring of the youth system and a concerted effort to reposition it once again as one of the leading academies.

So I wait to hear the new narrative.

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Cowans's departure will only make sense if we see a more fundamental restructuring of the youth system and a concerted effort to reposition it once again as one of the leading academies.

So I wait to hear the new narrative.

I think the hiring of a new technical director and the interview he gave about new technologies pretty much guarantees that you will see a restructuring.

• Like 1

My fave player as a kid.  But that doesn't mean he is cut out for player development now, things have probably moved on.  He doesn't seem to have the same out-going enthusiasm as Taylor and Hendrie so there probably wasn't a role for him.  It's an over-used word but Sid is a true legend.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

A smart operator.

I can't tell from this whether that is a sarcastic comment or not !! Anyway, either would be merited.

For me I am genuinely pleased that is the case. I am more than happy for him to dead bat anything he wants to when he wants to, and comment on other stuff as he pleases.  As long as Wyness and the rest ar ecomfortable with such an approach I see no reason not to be .

I went to Petrov's charity match in Halesowen a few years ago and Sid was playing. He came over near to I was stood to take a throw-in and so I got my phone out to take a photo. The bloke in front of me said 'come on, sid, get in the game'. At which point Sid turned round and looked straight at me, he thought I'd said it. He took a few steps towards me and said "I'm fifty fkin four!". He was well pissed off. I've got the photo somewhere.

• Like 1

I'm okay with Cowans going as long as this paves the way for a modern, forward-thinking replacement. Our academy has been stone-age for years now, and i'm sure we'll see a few more key academy staff leave in the coming weeks.

Â