Gordon 'Sid' Cowans

mikeyp102

One of the best moments I had at VP last week was the selfie I got with Gordon. I used to play the same position as a junior as Gordon, so it was a given that he was my favorite player back then. Best of Birthdays Legend! 

• Like 3

Sid is a Villa legend.  My old man had  a flower stall in Sutton coldfield and Sid was a regular alongside a few other players.  Met him in Edwards no 8 many moons  ago, when I mentioned my Dad he was really pleasant and even introduced his partner to me.

He hails from County Durham but is Villa through and through. 

Happy days Sid, one of the best passers to play the game. I would love to know many assists he provided for David Platt. 

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Gordon, for yesterday

A really, really nice Fella.

My Claim to fame is standing on the Tilton Rd End at the Blues ( sorry Folks) with Sid and a bunch of Villa Fans from the Yenton Pub....watching Blues play West Ham, Clyde Best was playing for West Ham that night shows how long ago that was.

He was a truly great player and a fine human being.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I also have a fond memory of QPR away in the cup, can't remember the year, But sid had just broke through in to the first team.

My dad who was getting on in years and introduced me to Villa, had not seen them for some time, so I took him with me.

We was watching the game and my pop said " who is the scarecrow" I said " A youth player just broke in to the team".....I remember him saying to me " He is going to be a fine,fine player"....some player that boy.

Edited by TRO

On 28/10/2019 at 18:53, blandy said:

Maybe time for me to dig up this I wrote for the old VT front page from 2002 (now stashed away here)

This perfectly sums him up. 

He was a thoroughly modern footballer really. Put him in The Premier League today and he would shine, fit right in at a Citeh or a high end footballing team. 

The Bari fans had a nickname for him which I forget but it translated something like Magic Feet.   This was at a time when Italy defined world football. 

And yes I have met him twice (in away ends following Villa) he is a lovely lovely man. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And yes I have met him twice (in away ends following Villa) he is a lovely lovely man. 

Me too, once he gave me 10p for the phone and once in the pub. Just a lovely and normal bloke with a talent.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Very sad news my Aunt suffered with this for many years until recently passing away. Hopefully with modern medicine and Sid's fighting spirit they can help fight it off for a while. A true Villa legend.

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

There was some discussion recently about our greatest player in living memory. I think you would go along way to beat league winner, European Cup winner and they almost a decade later come back and nearly win the league again with Sid pulling the strings in midfield and back in the England team.

I have never met anyone who has had a bad word to say about him.

Hoping he stays as healthy as possible for as long as he can. Good luck Sid.

• Like 3

Â