A Song of Ice and Fire

villarule123

It'll be a travesty is the books dont get finished. To be fair, there's only one book left if it's going to be a seven book series as the sixth is supposedly on the verge of completion. 

24 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

if it's going to be a seven book series

Ha.

If he does complete the series, you can bet he'll have wedged another couple of books in there, despite having a fair few characters ambling around in the arse end of nowhere for no particular reason for chapters on end.

One day, I might see how even the smallest tangent was actually relevant and made the story complete, but until then, I'll swear at GRRM whenever I think about how much time I wasted reading about Quentyn Martell, and Brienne walking around for the better part of 3 **** books asking about the maid with auburn hair.

It's a fantastic world, but he's not a concise man, that's for sure.

Edited by Davkaus

The Bran parts in the books were the worst but it will improve in the next book if the show is anything to go by. It's criminal what the show has done to Dorne though, you'd think if they were going to make a change it would be for the better.

It makes me wonder how relevant certain characters like Stoneheart, Aegon, Arienne, Victarion, Damphair etc re going to be in the next books if they aren't even involved in the show.

21 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So what have the TV series done to Dorne that's so bad? 

It's been a while since I read them, but as I remember it:

Doran doesn't die, and has a scheme to work against the Lannisters to return the Targeryans to the throne.

As a consequence, he doesn't die (or hasn't yet, at least), Myrcella isn't killed, but is sent back to Kings Landing because one of the sand snakes (who isn't even in the TV show) has a plan to put Myrcella on the throne instead of Tommen, as she thinks this will trigger further war (which in her eyes is great, the Dornish aren't really involved, they can let the other armies kill each other, then walk in at the end and clean up).

Although the sand snakes aren't completely on side with Doran and have their own idea about how to best move Dorne in to a strong position, they respect Doran (except the missing one), he's not weak in the books, and the sand snakes are fleshed out characters, with a purpose, rather than just being bad ass women who kill recklessly without remorse.

Also, completely missing is one of Doran's sons, Quentyn, who was sent to find Dany, to seduce her and unify their houses. It kind of backfires, because he's a dickhead and he gets burned alive by her dragons. 

Jaime and Bronn also never go to Dorne, the guy that Cersei sends also doesn't have to try and 'sneak' in, he's welcomed, there's no real hostilities between the Lannisters and Dorne, openly at least.

There's so little in common other than the names of some characters, and the fact that Myrcella was there for a time, that it's basically a completely different story.

Edited by Davkaus

Hmmm that does seem quite a lot. I can't really see Dorne getting too much attention in the TV series now to be honest, we just simply do not know enough about them and everything to do with them has felt rush. I wonder if they will be phased out in the future books too? Especially if the TV series finished before the books. 

56 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Myrcella isn't killed, but is sent back to Kings Landing because one of the sand snakes (who isn't even in the TV show) has a plan to put Myrcella on the throne instead of Tommen, as she thinks this will trigger further war (which in her eyes is great, the Dornish aren't really involved, they can let the other armies kill each other, then walk in at the end and clean up).

That's not one of the Sand Snakes it's Arianne Martell (Doran's daughter), regularly described as having big dark nipples.

She seduces Addam Marbrand with her big nipples and her Myrcella plot and he ends up getting decapitated by Areo Hotah.

I can't believe the show killed Hotah!!!

Incidentally the excerpt posted by Hogso is an Arianne chapter.  She's hot.

The whole book is going to be released in excerpts over the course of 43,000 years isn't it?

Ahh, you're right. Now that you mention it, I think I'd forgotten the more recent bit, isn't the plan now to put her on the iron throne somehow? I should re-read at some point.

Just now, Davkaus said:

Ahh, you're right. Now that you mention it, I think I'd forgotten the more recent bit, isn't the plan now to put her on the iron throne somehow? I should re-read at some point.

That was Arianne's plan but in the kerfuffle Marbrand wound up dead and Myrcella got her face slashed so she was sent back to King's Landing.

I think Doran locked Arianne in the tower for her scheming.

That's during AFFC, I'm sure he lets her out of the tower and she finds out his plan all along was to make her Queen, but that was scuppered by Viscerys dying, which is why Quentyn got sent to his fiery and satisfying death.

Edit: Just did some swotting up, the most recent development is that Doran discovered that Aegon Targaryen may still be alive, so Plan A is back on, Arianne has been sent to  find him.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That's during AFFC, I'm sure he lets her out of the tower and she finds out his plan all along was to make her Queen, but that was scuppered by Viscerys dying, which is why Quentyn got sent to his fiery and satisfying death.

Edit: Just did some swotting up, the most recent development is that Doran discovered that Aegon Targaryen may still be alive, so Plan A is back on, Arianne has been sent to  find him.

So yeah I remember them being Targ supporters.

So Quentyn + Danaerys is Plan B and Doran's preference is Arianne getting with Aegon?  That sounds familiar, saved me going on ASOIAF wiki, cheers!

Yeah, his initial preference was Vyscerys, because nobody knew Aegon was alive.

I completely forgot about this part of the books, Tyrion spent half of ADWD on a boat with Aegon, before he's captured by Mormont, who drags him off to try to regain Daenery' favour. But Aegon isn't in the TV show at all.

Edited by Davkaus

It kind of sucks that that storyline is basically spoilered by its omission, I can only assume it's going to end up being completely irrelevant, rather than there being two different endings. 

6 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

That's not one of the Sand Snakes it's Arianne Martell (Doran's daughter), regularly described as having big dark nipples.

She seduces Addam Marbrand with her big nipples

She has her knockers but I'm not one of them! 

Â