Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

I can see them all now queuing up at the door....Benitez, Yakin, DeBoer.......Curbishley!

The musical chairs will now begin with Pochettino going to Spuds. Saints are going for Yakin apparently.

We will probably get bought at the end of August and the only option will be Curbs but I would take Curbs everyday of the week over Lambert.

I would take Curbs everyday of the week over Lambert.

Based on what exactly? His ability to get a side to the PL and keep them there? That is all Curbs ever achieved and it was a bloody long time ago, I see no logic in thinking he would be a better manager than Lambert.

• Like 1

I'll be pretty disappointed if Southampton get Yakin. They're not that far ahead of us, really.

Financially they are currently on a very different level to us, it remains to be seen if its sustainable or if its a repeat of Lerner's first few years here.

Thomas Tuchel - left Mainz a while ago. He's done a fantastic job with them and would be a very good fit for us if we don't get new owners.

Granted he's probably got bigger and better things lined up

• Like 1

I would take Curbs everyday of the week over Lambert.

Based on what exactly? His ability to get a side to the PL and keep them there? That is all Curbs ever achieved and it was a bloody long time ago, I see no logic in thinking he would be a better manager than Lambert.

Yes Trent exactly! If Lambert is still in charge in August then IMO come Xmas we will be bottom of the league on very few points dishing out the same old turgid rubbish that we had to put up with last season but this time without the lucky wins we got against some teams. We will be looking for someone to do a 'Pulis' in January.

At least Curbs record is good over many, many seasons and he plays decent football. I don't see how he cannot be considered an improvement on Lambert?

If Lambert is still in charge in August then IMO come Xmas we will be bottom of the league on very few points dishing out the same old turgid rubbish that we had to put up with last season but this time without the lucky wins we got against some teams. We will be looking for someone to do a 'Pulis' in January.

At least Curbs record is good over many, many seasons and he plays decent football. I don't see how he cannot be considered an improvement on Lambert?

I don't see any logic to thinking that, we've hardly been in the bottom 3 the last two season let alone bottom of the league. Yes the last two seasons have been a struggle and rather twitchy but I don't see us being bottom of the league at Christmas on a 'few points'.

As for Curbs record, yes he kept Charlton in the PL for 6 consecutive years, he was relegated in 98 mind, but that is a good achievement. The PL was a very very very different place back then though.

But it is as if you've dismissed his performance at West Ham which was woeful and forgotten that he hasn't actually managed a team since 2008. He hasn't been a manager for 6 years, yet you are confident he can just come in and do a better job, that is more faith than I'd be prepared to put in him personally.

• Like 1

If Lambert is still in charge in August then IMO come Xmas we will be bottom of the league on very few points dishing out the same old turgid rubbish that we had to put up with last season but this time without the lucky wins we got against some teams. We will be looking for someone to do a 'Pulis' in January.

I don't see any logic to thinking that, we've hardly been in the bottom 3 the last two season let alone bottom of the league. Yes the last two seasons have been a struggle and rather twitchy but I don't see us being bottom of the league at Christmas on a 'few points'.

As for Curbs record, yes he kept Charlton in the PL for 6 consecutive years, he was relegated in 98 mind, but that is a good achievement. The PL was a very very very different place back then though.

But it is as if you've dismissed his performance at West Ham which was woeful and forgotten that he hasn't actually managed a team since 2008. He hasn't been a manager for 6 years, yet you are confident he can just come in and do a better job, that is more faith than I'd be prepared to put in him personally.

Trent I really do rate Lambert that poorly IMO. That's me though I think he is an awful manager and is punching above his weight having charge over us. However he does fit in with the awful management provided by our owner and board of directors.

For the record I think we could do a lot better than Curbs.

• Like 1

I'll be pretty disappointed if Southampton get Yakin. They're not that far ahead of us, really.

Financially they are currently on a very different level to us, it remains to be seen if its sustainable or if its a repeat of Lerner's first few years here.
I agree, however that seems largely self-imposed. If we get a new owner (big 'IF' obviously), we can easily compete financially with them. They have a handful of young talents which they're going to get money for, and they've have had 1 and a half seasons of impressive football. But the main reason for their impressive football is the good, young manager that has now left them. I don't think we're far behind them, but if they bring in a good manager, they could start to pull away from us (as many other clubs have done in recent years!)

Lambert: never won anything

McLeish: won a league cup, relegated blues twice

Houllier: won quite a bit

O'Neill: won a couple of league cups and plenty on Scotland

O'Leary: never won anything

Taylor: never won anything

Gregory: never won anything

Little: never won anything

Atkinson: 2 FA cups and a league cup

You can prove something without winning a major trophy...

For instance, back to back promotions is proving something.

Edited by Rovers13

You can prove something without winning a major trophy...

For instance, back to back promotions is proving something.

It proves your a decent lower league manager, but nothing at the top level. Houllier is the only manager we've had done the start of the premier league with a genuine top level league win. We've hardly got a track record of bringing in top managers with proven caliber sadly

But my original point was wondering why Villa would appoint someone (seedorf) who's proven nothing in management. Then I got told villa have a track record of doing so.

Winning a lot in the lower league doesn't necessarily prove you're a great manager, but it does prove something.

Why would Barcelona appoint someone (Guardiola) who had proven nothing in management either? I don't think it's something that's necessarily needed. The right man could have zero experience, while the wrong man could have a CV as long as your arm

But my original point was wondering why Villa would appoint someone (seedorf) who's proven nothing in management. Then I got told villa have a track record of doing so.

Winning a lot in the lower league doesn't necessarily prove you're a great manager, but it does prove something.

Yes, this was my point as well. I really disagree that managers who have achieved success in the lower leagues have achieved nothing or proven nothing. If anything, it's more impressive, given the closer financial parity of the teams. Graham Taylor took Watford up three division, two of them as champions, before he joined us. And we're being told that's on a level with Clarence Seedorf?

Why would Barcelona appoint someone (Guardiola) who had proven nothing in management either? I don't think it's something that's necessarily needed. The right man could have zero experience, while the wrong man could have a CV as long as your arm

Barcelona are a really poor counter-example. If we had a decades-long history of finishing in the top 2 in England every year, and were effectively owned by the government of a middle-eastern country, then we could afford to be a bit more leftfield in our management choices. But we're Aston Villa, not Barcelona. 

Little: never won anything - Little won the League Cup in 1996

Edited by Moorski