Season Ticket Renewal 2014/5 - Yes/No

smetrov

You should definitely only bother supporting a team when they're doing well. 

i know what you're saying but its not that simple, its justifying cost, and its getting harder, its also now very easy to get tickets because we dont sell out and there are usually deals on, and you dont have to put up with sky's bullshit, 1-4 vs stoke 4pm on a sunday afternoon, i needed that like i needed a 2nd asshole, sunday 4pm kick offs would be straight out for me if i didnt have a ST

It's a good job you don't support most of the other teams in the league if you're complaining about the cost - I understand the time issues though.

Interesting points. For me, I take Lex's inference that when you buy a season ticket, you are buying tickets for home wins, home defeats draws and all the rest - you don't get any guarantee of the team doing well. That's not why we go.

But equally, in order to pay up front, you need hope and belief, however loosely founded that you're not going to regret it. It seems ot me that is in very very short supply right now for a lot of fans. Those who have renewed have said (some) that it's not so much about the football, but habit, or an escape. No-one's said "We'll do well next year and I want to be a part of it".

As for price and value a couple of things come to mind. If every pub in the street charges £6 a pint, and one charges £5.50, it doesn't make the one chanrging the £5.50 good value, it just means they're overcharging by less than the others. When you factor in games being moved, being televised, being at unhelpfultimes for travel and all that, it reduces the value even more.

Then there's the elephant in the room, that we don't even know what division we'll be in next year. Less games may be moved, but the standard of play and so on will be lower, in the Championship than the prem (though right now, that seems a bit hard to credit). Given that season tickets are sold as being cheaper than paying game by game, and given that we charge 40+ quid for a lot of individual game seats - I can't see that holding water a level down, the pricing is a bit of a mess.

So another new manager, a different division maybe (looking likely), prices gone up again, despite years now of mediocre to awful home performances and results....

I wonder what d=feedback they're getting from all those calls they're making to season ticket holders. I suspect it's not encouraging for ticket sales.

• Like 1

In fear of leaving a gaping void in my life, I will be renewing.

You could always try plane spotting instead ?

And there wouldn't be anything wrong with that :-)

Airshow summer just around the corner and I can forget football for a bit.

• Like 1

I really can't justify it. The last few years have felt like a few grand down the drain and enough is enough really. I can't afford to be throwing that sort of money around on something I don't enjoy doing. I didn't even bother going to the West Ham and Everton games, I couldn't be arsed, I would rather be sat at home watching Soccer Saturday, so sold those games to my dad's mate.

We don't win games, we play awful football, there's no real fight on the pitch, I have no hope in our future. The overall feeling is that we're rolling over every week no matter the opposition. Yeah we've had some good wins this season, but that doesn't excuse the fact we've had far, far more really bad loses.

I quite fancy the early bird renewal - (April 30) that gives me £76 to spend in the villa shop.......do the clubs do a deal if we are subsequently relegated ? - seem to remember wolves Wolves doing some sort of a refund last season...

I'll need to wait to see if we stay up, because the amount of mid week games in the Championship would make it not worth my while.  Only problem is then, I would miss out on most the new always which is the redeeming aspect of going down.

I think it does come down to habit for a lot of fans. At the end of the day, you get into a routine and although I sometimes wonder what else I could be doing with my time when we're losing to Fulham or Palace at home; I know deep down that I'd be even more depressed and watching the game on TV anyway if I didn't go.

Plus, the big point for me is this: many football clubs have downturns in their history which last for years, sometimes decades. That's football. For all the shit we have to watch, and all the losses we have to put up with, games like Chelsea at home actually make it worthwhile. It is those moments of unbridled joy that keep me travelling home and away watching this pile of dross. I support Aston Villa, not the current imbeciles doing their best to send us down and I'll always stick by the club and its fans. It's all about the match day experience and having a few drinks with your mates, hence why so many people prefer away days. I can totally see why, if you sit in the upper Trinity and go purely for the 90 minutes, you'd be totally disillusioned. I am, too. But when your old man brings you up supporting such a wonderful club with such rich history then I almost feel compelled to carry on the family tradition and it's what will ultimately keep this football club alive for the next generation to enjoy (moan about).  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Renewed yeterday.

The 'effective' 10%' discount is a brilliant marketing idea to try and get people signed up early.

That's £61.50 on my card which pays for next seasons shirt and a bit left over.

In fear of leaving a gaping void in my life, I will be renewing.

You could always try plane spotting instead ?

And there wouldn't be anything wrong with that :-)

Airshow summer just around the corner and I can forget football for a bit.

Yep,

Just booked a small road trip. Gilze-Rijen (Holland), Karup (Denmark) and Schleswig-Jagel (Germany). 2000 miles in 5 days, guaranteed entertainment-you can't beat a good airshow!

Oh, and I am renewing today as well!

Renewed yeterday.

The 'effective' 10%' discount is a brilliant marketing idea to try and get people signed up early.

Shirt £40

League Cup 3rd round £10 (exit)

FA Cup 3rd round £10 (exit)

Your only dilemma is what to do with the £1.50!

Renewed yeterday.

Shirt £40

League Cup 3rd round £10 (exit)

FA Cup 3rd round £10 (exit)

Your only dilemma is what to do with the £1.50!

Give it to Lambert to buy a player

Â