Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

The outrage about the girl burning, the rape scenes, etc are pretty hilarious. If you're so outraged you should stick to Birds of a Feather or Downtown Abbey.

I don't think it's the acts themselves (the rape/burning etc) that people have been bothered about. It's more that some people are saying they have been badly written in the context of the characters, either the perpetrator or the victim.

In other words, done for the shock value and not for the good of the story.

Exactly.

Donnie - rather than that moronic sly dig, try reading what people write. Thanks.

To be fair to donnie, in one of your original posts you seemed to be complaining about the fact it was shocking. Nothing about how badly it was written. You mentioned 'just for the sake of it', but if it's part of what they want the TV storyline to be, then it's not 'for the sake of it', is it?

Having the guy taking the little girl in the ol' whorehouse last night might not have seemed relevant to you, if you already knew of what a bad person he was. But for me, when I watched that last night, I didn't actually remember anything about that chap. I knew I'd seen his face, probably in one of the many King's Landing scenes, but I didn't remember him being a bad person, so that whorehouse scene might have been a way to remind people (forgetful people, like me!), that he's not a chap that you're meant to be rooting for.

Does that make it less of 'just for the sake of it'... maybe?

I was really annoyed.

It did not have to be that brutal, at all. I understand that in Game of Thrones shock comes with the territory, moments like the Red Wedding will rightly go down in televisual history. But the burning of a minor (completely out of character too I might add, making it even more so needless) and the rape of a minor, however "realistic" to the world they might be, are frankly shocking JUST for the sake of it and that doesn't sit well with me.

I think it jumped the shark last night. Very disappointed. Really enjoyed the Drogon bit though.

• Like 1

Watched it again. Yeah the unsullied are a complete joke. Average at fighting and dogshit at being guards. Being ambushed by civilians in gimp masks armed with knives is a poor showing.

If I was Daenary's I'd ask for a refund.

And, for the 3rd time, they're not close quarters fighters.

They're meant to be used as an army. Not close quarters fighting off an ambush outnumbered 5 to 1.

Give up! The unsullied are a bunch of wet wipes.

Al Qaeda in Iraq couldn't shoot for shit and most of its ranks in 2005 were fit for nothing more than human ordinance. 94 US marines were still killed during Phantom Fury though, in between 1500 of them getting shwacked. That's what the Mereen portion of the story has its roots in; Iraq occupation.

Watched it again. Yeah the unsullied are a complete joke. Average at fighting and dogshit at being guards. Being ambushed by civilians in gimp masks armed with knives is a poor showing.

They aren't supposed to be supermen.  They are a force who are capable of invading a place but not so good at occupying it.   Presumably it's supposed to be a comment on 21st century imperialism war on terrorism.  

They aren't supposed to be supermen.  They are a force who are capable of invading a place but not so good at occupying it.   Presumably it's supposed to be a comment on 21st century imperialism war on terrorism.  

where did you hear that rev

think its safe to say VT has put more thought in to this than the writers and directors...

how do you get the sons of harpy to seem like a credible threat without giving them any screen time or development? you have them overpower and defeat those that you have given screen time and development to and established as a good fighting force

it really is that simple IMO

My issue is with them being shocking for the sake of it rather than that they were shocking at all. A point I later clarified and expanded on.

Yeah, I get that, and I added (around the guy liking young girls part) that it seems to have been added, not 'for the sake of it', but to exemplify how bad a person he is.

I've just been to the pub on lunch, and a work mate said the exact same thing as me "Who was the guy in the whorehouse, shopping for a little girl? I don't remember Him".

That part seems to have been added to remind people about a person that probably hasn't featured in the programme as much as he does in the books (I'm guessing). Therefore, again, not just 'for the sake of it'.

Ser Meryn Trant is the guy from the Kings Guard who killed Arya's sword instructer mid lesson when they were rounding up the Starks in Kings Landing during season 1 prior to executing Ned. If you can remember he cut him down when he only had a wooden practice sword. I think he also whacked Sansa on behalf of Joffrey on a number of occasions, which suggests he has no morales when it comes to beating up young girls. I guess the latest scene is just re-affirming those scenes from earlier series. I guess with this being a US program, they do like to have regular reminders (Such as previously in......) in their programs.

I still think the young girls thing will make sense next episode. No spoiler, just an idea.

Agreed. If you haven't worked out what happens next by now you simply haven't been trying hard enough. 

So you are suggesting he wants a fresh young girl who might be about the same age as Ayra? :detect:

No spoilers ofc, just a theory as this stuff hasn't happened in any of the books.

To add to the above theory, didn't Arya bury her sword somewhere outside in some wall/rocks earlier in the season. I am wondering whether that will play a part shortly?

Â