"Leaving with regrets only make sense."

"Which one of us will burn until the end?"

"We look up to the stars and see such different things."

"Your heart has frozen over."

"The truth is you could slit my throat."

"We will fight a battle and then we'll rest. Alive or dead. We'll rest."

"I am the sword in the darkness."

"We're all the same to them — meat for their army."

"Can't you see the wall you built for me?

“Sometimes there is no happy choice, only one less grievous than the others.”

“I am a hostage to my own humanity"

“I heard it was best to keep your enemies close.”

26FA1F8E00000578-3641721-image-m-21_1465

Quiz here.

Edited by magnkarl

Spoiler

So I gave in and watched it today.

Not a bad episode. Obviously the speed at which Dany got there and found them was a bit silly.

Think the show had overplayed its popularity though by not killing off at least one of the main characters who had gone beyond the wall. In the earlier seasons one of  Tormund, Jorah or the Hound would have died in the battle but the He writers know they popular so kept them alive. We've had 2 battles now where none of the main characters have died.

Loved the dialect with the Hound and Tormund. In fact all the conversations up there were good. However, how come Jon never said to Jorah that he'd also fought with his daughter?

I guessed the dragon was coming back alive but only because there had been a poster (only one I've seen as tried to avoid all trailers and previews etc) last year with the night king sat on top of a dragon. Was hoping it would be a lot harder to take down a dragon though rather than just one throw of a javelin. I suppose the writers are using it to show how powerful the white walkers are as opposed to men, with the previous battle showing Bronn struggling to take one down.

Had a feeling Benjan would show himself again, but thought it was odd how he did. Despite being attacked by all the dead, did he die? Because hadn't he been given some powers?

Thought the first Arya scene was very dragged out, and so self righteous of her, and as Sansa said it's not like she tried to fight either.

Anyone else actually hope Jon died?

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:
  Hide contents

So I gave in and watched it today.

Not a bad episode. Obviously the speed at which Dany got there and found them was a bit silly.

Think the show had overplayed its popularity though by not killing off at least one of the main characters who had gone beyond the wall. In the earlier seasons one of  Tormund, Jorah or the Hound would have died in the battle but the He writers know they popular so kept them alive. We've had 2 battles now where none of the main characters have died.

Loved the dialect with the Hound and Tormund. In fact all the conversations up there were good. However, how come Jon never said to Jorah that he'd also fought with his daughter?

I guessed the dragon was coming back alive but only because there had been a poster (only one I've seen as tried to avoid all trailers and previews etc) last year with the night king sat on top of a dragon. Was hoping it would be a lot harder to take down a dragon though rather than just one throw of a javelin. I suppose the writers are using it to show how powerful the white walkers are as opposed to men, with the previous battle showing Bronn struggling to take one down.

Had a feeling Benjan would show himself again, but thought it was odd how he did. Despite being attacked by all the dead, did he die? Because hadn't he been given some powers?

Thought the first Arya scene was very dragged out, and so self righteous of her, and as Sansa said it's not like she tried to fight either.

Anyone else actually hope Jon died?

Spoiler

Lyanna Mormont is Jorah's cousin rather than daughter and Bronn has never encountered a whitewalker.

1 minute ago, Brumerican said:
  Hide contents

Lyanna Mormont is Jorah's cousin rather than daughter and Bronn has never encountered a whitewalker.

Spoiler

Fair point about Lyanna. 

I know Bronn hasn't faced a ww, I was saying how he struggled to take down a dragon. Whereas the ww took a dragon down wth ease.

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:
  Hide contents

Fair point about Lyanna. 

I know Bronn hasn't faced a ww, I was saying how he struggled to take down a dragon. Whereas the ww took a dragon down wth ease.

Spoiler

Ah I see . I read it as the whitewakers were hard to take down by Bronn. To be fair Bronn was the first human to wound a Dragon in Westeros  for quite some time. :D

16 hours ago, Brumerican said:
  Hide contents

Ah I see . I read it as the whitewakers were hard to take down by Bronn. To be fair Bronn was the first human to wound a Dragon in Westeros  for quite some time. :D

Spoiler

I'm calling it. Bronn to take down the Ice Dragon.

Spoiler

The writing this series has truly gone down the pan. It's not the fast travel stuff really (although a little on that to come). But... Stuff like the Arya scenes this week are really poorly written and played. Arya feels like a different person. There's the dark side to her that has been built, but now she feels like they teleported in a different character. A small part of me, at the scene at the end, almost thought they were going to pull a bait and switch and that Arya actually wasnt Arya or something. Such a poor scene. I hope this is a long play of Arya playing Littlefinger or something because otherwise this whole plot is dreadful.

There's a lot of examples of this. The climatic moment with the dragon, why is Jon just making a needless lone stand? Why write that so stupidly? It's needless. Etc.

The fast travel thing is overplayed, and not really a problem for me generally... but this episode pushes that. In the space of a night, Gendry runs a distance implied to have taken a day at least, a raven goes to Dragonstone and Dany flies to the exact place she's needed, all whilst it's a race against time to save Jon and co. It doesn't work.

It doesn't help that Jon's plan is **** stupid and seems to basically be a terrible contrivance to get a dragon to the Nights King.

Anyway... Besides being completely daft, very good episode on the spectacle end of things and some nice character banter. It helps that I like pretty much all of the magnificent bastards Jon had in his posse, but it lead to some nice moments and a few laughs. The Hound continues to be a strong shout for best character in the show, and the jaw shot was a genuinely funny moment. Shame to see Thoros go, criminally underused character, but they needed a death and he was the obvious pick. He also spells Berric's end obviously - many of those characters are destined to die IMO - Jorah will get his heroic death, the Hound is likewise destined for the Redemption Equals Death trope etc, Berric's lost his get out of death free card that undermines that...

Mostly good if completely stupid stuff. Still mired with absolute clunkers of dialogue - Jon's 'Dany' moment was pure lead falling from his mouth, and that relationship has all the chemistry of a plank leant against a wall. The plot is shoving them together but the performances can't sell it.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it

Looking forward to where they leave the finale.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 3

I'm more than happy to suspend my disbelief with regards to the obvious in that episode. It was terrific with a huge pay of at the end, seriously, wow. So glad I managed to avoid spoilers since the leak. 

So in the GoT Olympics it appears Gendry is untouchable in the marathon, and the Night King is surely champion at javelin. Who else? Arya for fencing I guess... 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hogso said:

So in the GoT Olympics it appears Gendry is untouchable in the marathon, and the Night King is surely champion at javelin. Who else? Arya for fencing I guess... 

Given he's shown himself as being proficient at running, rowing and the hammer at the very least, I think Gendry needs to be appearing in some sort of adaptation of the modern pentathlon in the Westerlympics.

47 minutes ago, hogso said:

Gendry is untouchable in the marathon.

Gendry Maratheon.

For me the most annoying thing about the plot is that the Stark girls have just had BroadBrand installed at Winterfell but don't seem to be interested in its use all that much.

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Why would you not spend the night taking it in turns to smash the ice with the war hammer?

Why didn't Dany just take them there in the bloody first place ? All she was doing was talking to Tyrion by the fireplace ffs .

Why didn't they at least take some horses with them ?

Why didn't they take some ravens with them ?

How the hell does a kid who has never seen snow before run for miles through mountains whilst wearing animal furs ?    

How the hell did they tie chains around that things neck at the bottom of a lake when none of them can swim ?

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Why didn't Dany just take them there in the bloody first place ? All she was doing was talking to Tyrion by the fireplace ffs .

Why didn't they at least take some horses with them ?

Why didn't they take some ravens with them ?

How the hell does a kid who has never seen snow before run for miles through mountains whilst wearing animal furs ?    

How the hell did they tie chains around that things neck at the bottom of a lake when none of them can swim ?

So are you saying there was a few plot holes?

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

So are you saying there was a few plot holes?

Jonny Starkgaryen " I was good mates with your old man"

Jorah Friendzone " who cares ya cock blocking prat"

Jonny "Lol, ...but yeah he died at Crasters keep . He was on a mission that involved having ravens on hand in case of emergencies and shit"

Jorah "Ravens you say eh ? ...Do we have those now ?"

Jonny " No lol"

Jorah "Cock blocking C&*$"

• Like 2

Â