Game of Thrones (Spoilers)

Ghost

I was reading earlier about how HBO were willing to take it up to 10 series, but the show writers wanted to be done in 7 to move on to other projects. 8, with the last two being shortened series appears to have been their compromise.

Frankly, with the job they've done since the book material ran out, I wonder if it would have been a better show if HBO had told them to **** off and tried to continue it with other writers.

After this many years of running though, there seems a good chance that some of the main actors want to move on and wouldn't agree to keep it going long enough to end the story with the depth and attention to detail with which it started,

Edited by Davkaus

Just go back with the other two dragons.  Stay a bit higher up maybe, and look out for the blue skinned slightly cleverer looking dudes.  Burn them.  Definitely burn the ones sat on horses.  Win.

• Like 3

Yep. As spectacular as some of the sequences are, it's really just the sunk cost fallacy which is keeping me watching now.  It was an amazing show at it's peak but seasons 6 & 7 have been subpar. 

The pacing has been laughable this entire 7th season, so I wasn't surprised when it was laughable again. I don't have any complaints though. The thing isn't even being written by Martin anymore, and they can't keep churning these out forever. They're giving us a lot of bang for the buck at this point, more than making up for all those boring subplots like Arya's and Bran's. I'm really disappointed that they're waiting 2 years until the last season though. As good as it is, they run the risk of a lot of people tuning it out and spending their money elsewhere.

8 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Yep. As spectacular as some of the sequences are, it's really just the sunk cost fallacy which is keeping me watching now.  It was an amazing show at it's peak but seasons 6 & 7 have been subpar. 

I think they're worse than the show was at it's peak, but they've been better than those couple of seasons in the middle where nothing happened.

I was close to giving up on GoT after season 4 (I think). It was genuinely boring that season.

I couldn't help but think the night king reviving the dragon to create some kind of frost wyrm was like when you unlock an epic level 100 mount in some sort of mmo like wow I really did get that vibe.

He didn't even need to grind reputation or anything.

Also the chain thing isn't khaleesi meant to be the breaker of chains.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Wildfire bombs mixed with Obsidian should take care of most of the white walkers and wights, then just have the dragons torch anything that's left.

Easy this King of the North lark.  Bend the knee!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Actually have we seen a white walker on fire? The Nights King seems somewhat impervious to it. The only thing I think we've seen kill them is obsidian and Valyrian steel.

On Hardhome they could walk through it, extinguishing it as they walked.

Presumably the assumption is that if Dragon Steel and Dragon Glass are the two things that currently work, Dragon Fire is likely to be different to regular fire.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

Bend the knee!

I'm starting to develop an agitated twitch every time this silly phrase gets used.

I don't know why it bothers me so much that they don't seem to have a word for 'kneel' in westeros...

• Like 2

Who was the person that Jon Snow watched fall into a big pile of White Walkers, when Jon and the remaining 4 were at the top of that little hill fighting them all off?

Like others, I enjoyed the latest episode, but some bits just annoyed me. Why didn't Uncle Ben jump on the horse, why didn't the whole North-of-the-Wall gang just run with Gendry back to the Wall?

Also, I don't know if there are any The Hobbit fans in here, but after (accidentally) seeing a spoiler before watching the episode, I said to the wife that the episode is bound to end exactly the same way as how the first Hobbit ends.... with a closed dragon eyelid opening, in a big SHOCK moment.

It was a red shirt.

In some shots as they traipsed along, there were only 7 of them leaving the wall, the 7 characters we know.

Then at some point a writer decided that it would be cool if people died, but there weren't enough expendable members of the party, so some unexplained extras appeared to be killed. They shot at least a couple of scenes of them walking along with 4 unnamed characters, but seemed to forget in others. And people call D&D talentless hacks with poor attention to detail. ;) 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

cant help but think that my first impression of the episode was elevated by the buzz over it leaking and my second viewing and reflection on it (as well as the discussion pretty much everywhere - IGN gave it a 6.9) i did genuinely enjoy watching it first time round

with that in mind any news on the next episode yet?!

That's one bit I definitley didn't like about that episode. The token red shirts tagging along and them being the ones that died.

That was very un-Game of Thrones.

They need a couple of high profile deaths.

They've strayed away from ASOIAF and now do things the Hollywood way.

If the books are ever written, there is no way that Jon is stupid enough to go north of the wall and take on the dead with half a dozen people, with all but one of them walking away. 

There's no way that Jaime is stupid enough to throw himself in front of a hostile dragon, sinks into the abyss in heavy plate armour, then gets away without a scratch. 

Arya doesn't get stabbed in the midriff several times in succession, then walk around without bother within a couple of episodes as if nothing happened.

The show now has people that are too important to die, but they keep insulting their viewers by trying to make us think that they're on the brink of death (until the very last second :o). GRRM won't be pulling his punches.

Â