Paul Faulkner

smetrov

This has been bugging me- I thought Faulkner was American, but someone on here recently said he's English?

From whence doth he come?

Norwich. On another note, I love it how alot of us mere keyboard warriors can deem the man useless when you have absolutely no idea what he has been doing and what the variables and challenges are he has faced.

Well, there's a recent track record to go by--one of indisputable failure.

How do you go from deciding Roberto Martinez is the best man for the job to Alex McLeish? Two managers with polar opposite approaches to the game.

To me, that suggests that he and the rest of the brass had no idea what they were doing, and lacked a clear vision. To actually have paid Birmingham City for the privilege of hiring the man who'd relegated them not once, but twice....just a baffling decision that 99% of us "Keyboard Warriors" would not have made if we were in his shoes. As it turned out, we were all right, and the brass made a huge mistake.

I agree with you that we can't know all the behind the scenes things that were beyond his control, but still...it's a results based business, and he's been getting the results wrong. Certainly he can be judged on that?

The way I see it Faulkner main contributions to date

The Genting deal (decent ?)

The macron deal (decent financially, kit look etc ? Tbc)

Got shot of MON (had to be done)

Presided over the Houllier appointment (not his best day in the office)

Presided over the McLeish appointment (a sackable offence IMHO)

It's not just about what he does, it's about what he doesn't do. Compare and contrast his style with that of say Ron Gourlay at Chelsea and Ian Ayre at Liverpool - always happy to talk to the media to keep the fans in the loop, if not in the full picture. Faulkner coudn't give two hoots about the fans. Remote, aloof and unwilling to communicate with the client-base. A bit like his boss, surprise surprise. All we got was a token presence from General Krulak.

Media and fan dialogue is without doubt something that Villa are frustratingly lacking. It doesn't do the Villa image any good which is why the club gets constantly lambasted!

None of us has any idea what goes on behind the scenes at the club but are basing our opinions on rumours and our own opinions,

At the time how many people thought GED was a bad appointment, I know I thought it was good and believed he could take us further, in fact if it was not for his medical condition he would still be here and i do not believe last season would have been as bad,

He also had and was happy to work with the financial constraints, we have all heard the rumours of players he was going to bring in, I believe these rumours as it would be consistant with the man.

Because of having to pay him off we then had even more constraints on the finances, Yes in hindsight we can all see that hiring the ginger one was a mistake which to be fair they have also stated, but at the time in the position the club was in and the time frame before the season the club had to act fast.

This time they have promised to try something different, yet when they try to take time to get it right we complain of inaction, No one knows who we are looking at and are all guessing,

I do not believe that certain ITK have a clue, they have not approached any premier league managers to our knowlege but we all say we dont want him, him etc.

Give them a chance, back off and see who they pick before slamming them, they have a hard job and moaning and deriding them only shows the club up.

What excactly does he do - thats not to be crtical

But Lerner isn't the hands off owner were lead to beleive. Per the trees Lerner is at villa pretty often. - so must pull most of the strings. Faulkner would therefore seem to be some sort of gofor

I really think this is the crux of the problem - we don't have a strong CEO - to run the club on a daily basis - and really have a finger on the pulese at levels - hence the drift in financial dire straits - and the lack of progress re manager.

None of us has any idea what goes on behind the scenes at the club but are basing our opinions on rumours and our own opinions,

At the time how many people thought GED was a bad appointment, I know I thought it was good and believed he could take us further, in fact if it was not for his medical condition he would still be here and i do not believe last season would have been as bad,

He also had and was happy to work with the financial constraints, we have all heard the rumours of players he was going to bring in, I believe these rumours as it would be consistant with the man.

Because of having to pay him off we then had even more constraints on the finances, Yes in hindsight we can all see that hiring the ginger one was a mistake which to be fair they have also stated, but at the time in the position the club was in and the time frame before the season the club had to act fast.

This time they have promised to try something different, yet when they try to take time to get it right we complain of inaction, No one knows who we are looking at and are all guessing,

I do not believe that certain ITK have a clue, they have not approached any premier league managers to our knowlege but we all say we dont want him, him etc.

Give them a chance, back off and see who they pick before slamming them, they have a hard job and moaning and deriding them only shows the club up.

Surely the speculation is because of a lack of communication? It wouldn't be so bad if they pre warned us that it was going to be a silent process that would take nothing less than 2 weeks.

Communication or frustration!

They are kinda in lose/lose situation, if they'd communicate more then there'd be higher chance of media finding out about candidates and so on, but because they (have to) stay quiet, the fans get frustated due uncertainty and lack of communication.

I get the feeling that in reality, Lerner's the CEO and Faulkner the COO.

Yes - that would make sense to me.

But Lerner isn't savvy enough or here enough to be CEO.

If he gets the next appointment wrong - Im through with Lerner (that should worry him !)

They are kinda in lose/lose situation, if they'd communicate more then there'd be higher chance of media finding out about candidates and so on, but because they (have to) stay quiet, the fans get frustated due uncertainty and lack of communication.

Agreed

Agreed

Just to add to my comments is that fans are obviously frustated because they do not trust the board to make a good decision due the mistakes they've done in the past - I think this might be the last chance for them to get manager appointment right before fans abandon the club.

So communication is clearly a problem at Villa, but then you read the quotes from Carlos and it looks as though the players have to deal with the same problem. I cannot believe that they never approached him about the expiry of his contract. I'm starting to think that the board are a mess! That is disgraceful.

One of the things I heard about MON - is that he had very little dialogue with Lerner. In the early days MON was seeking guidance on if villa could afford, this that or the other - but found it hard to get clarification. - Would explain why we had flurrys of activity right at thje end of windows.

MON got hacked off - so just did the deals.

That tale would make sense - Lerner is often slated for not communicating with the media - maybe he just doesn't communicate - full stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Not seen this reported anywhere else and if true strange the club has kept it so quiet.

But it was chief executive Paul Faulkner who has played a leading role in securing Lambert's services and he was this week elected onto the FA Council.
Fair play for finally getting it right with Lambert but the previous two appointments really set us back IMO. Yet more evidence the FA don't have a scooby!

link

Â