Paul Faulkner

smetrov

Seeing that our wages are/were higher than that of Spurs and most other PL clubs, we really need to have someone at the club that is good at valuing and negotiating player contracts.
That would suggest replacing Faulkner, then?

The wages issue preceded his time as CEO and since appointed he's been sorting it.

In their last accounts (2011), Spurs wages were 91.1 million (up from 67.1)

Villa's (2011) were 83.4 up from 80 million.

Our's are still too high given the level of achievement on the pitch, Spurs went up a lot because of wanting to keep their better players, and Champions league (which increased their turnover by a good wedge).

Villa tried to get into the top 4, to get the revenue to justify the wages, didn't manage it and have had to regroup. It was a deliberate gamble by RL. Sadly it failed for a number of reasons. None of which seem to be to be able to be laid at PF's feet.

I appreciate that the last two managers have been a disaster, PF was not alone in making those decisions, in fact, I think Randy played a blinder in appointing Mcwotsit as it has protected him from a slating by the fans. Using Mcwotsit's desperation to manage a big club whilst cutting back on wages dramatically was a good move strategically. It almost ended in disaster by getting us relegated but in the end, he was ruthless and has used Mcwotsit very well. Now the finances are in better shape, he has appointed a better Manager to take the club forward. Very clever move.

I think PF has brought in a couple of good deals with the Genting and Macron deals and was man enough to stand up to Martin O'Neill by telling him that he had to assist with reigning in the out of control finances. I think Paul Faulkner should be given more respect. We've had a shocking two year spell, for which both Randy and Faulkner should take the blame, but that is now over.

I appreciate that the last two managers have been a disaster, PF was not alone in making those decisions, in fact, I think Randy played a blinder in appointing Mcwotsit as it has protected him from a slating by the fans. Using Mcwotsit's desperation to manage a big club whilst cutting back on wages dramatically was a good move strategically. It almost ended in disaster by getting us relegated but in the end, he was ruthless and has used Mcwotsit very well. Now the finances are in better shape, he has appointed a better Manager to take the club forward. Very clever move.

I think PF has brought in a couple of good deals with the Genting and Macron deals and was man enough to stand up to Martin O'Neill by telling him that he had to assist with reigning in the out of control finances. I think Paul Faulkner should be given more respect. We've had a shocking two year spell, for which both Randy and Faulkner should take the blame, but that is now over.

i dont think spending 7 million pounds on the ginger gibbon ( compo to scum and 2 years worth of wages) and losing several million more in league placings and several more million in advertising, loss of ticket / merchendise sales, next season season tickets and so on, is a good thing?

who did the gibbon actually move on?

no one

friedel left for a longer contract and was a free

downing deal was already done nothing to do with the gibbon

young deal was done, nothing to do with the gibbon

cuellar - contract expired

heskey- contract expired

infact i dont think the gibbon sold anyone in his time here did he?

oh yes, luke young, sold him, our best right back and bought in hutton on a much longer contract for £3.5 million odd and no doubt £35k per week at least.

so he didnt reduce anything apart from our status in the game and vast amounts of millions of pounds flushed down the bog.

and i blame ginger child for it, i firmly believe that randy gave the ginger piglet total control on who to appoint and the idiot listened to a drunk fergie joke letter saying the gibbon was half decent.

all my own opinion of course

he may be good with money but he is **** shit when it comes to anything football, and to get himself bought onto the Fa in exchange for villa park agreeing to hosting the community shield ( again just my opinion) is dog dirt.

keep him counting beans and get someone with half an ounce of footballing common sense to sort out contracts, they know what peoples real worth is and in the case of players like Heskey we should never ever see wages above £40k ever again

give the wages to the very best players and then have a wage limit on the rest, it isnt as if any of them are going to bloody starve just cos they are on 20k less per week than a top player is it?

i would keep the ginger piglet but in the back ground not as a public face of corperate aston villa.

Brummybloke, you're entitled to your opinion. What I am saying is that McLeish was used. The finances HAD to be sorted and the club sold the players. McLeish had little choice but to go along with the plan for austerity measures, such was the mess that the club were in, thanks to the Faulkners and Randy's allowing MON to dictate the running of the club. What I am saying is that I think Faulkner has learnt from the experience. We were always going to have a tough year. That was last season, but I expect, with the quick sacking and quick appointment of a new Manager, the damage is repaired quickly. (I hope!)

Seeing that our wages are/were higher than that of Spurs and most other PL clubs, we really need to have someone at the club that is good at valuing and negotiating player contracts.
That would suggest replacing Faulkner, then?

Whilst I'm not here to defend Faulkner as I don't know the man, I would like to give an alternative view on this matter.

Back in the day when Lerner and O'Neill just came to the club there was a wave of optimism along with hundreds of millions of pounds spent, not only on transfer fee's, but on wages and infrastructure amoungst other bits and pieces.

Man City then joined the game, and obviously the goal posts changed. Lerner and his board would of probably have been quite willing to spend even more to try to sustain the 4th place finish for a couple more seasons, however with Man City blowing football inflation out of the water, Lerner and co had to readdress the situation, and the consequences are there for all to see.

Now, lets think of another dimension... Man City didn't join the races and we sustained our challenge at the top. Chelsea have crumbled, Liverpool have crumbled and Man City are no where to be seen. Fourth place, or higher, would have probably have been achieved by now albeit with a set of accounts which show wages as 90% of turnover. However, with the fourth place done, the infrastructure in place to move forward with continued sustained challenges at the top of the table (not Everton style), all of a sudden without having to make any cut backs on wages that 90% figure would have just dropped to a much more reasonable % without compromising anything.

As it stands, Man City blew the flood gates open, Lerner had a wobble, O'Neill sulked and all the cracks which could have been covered for many a year longer with a little bit of CL success are now looking like great big caverns found only in the dark depths of Mars.

Faulkner is taking the blame, he seems to be an easy target, but possibly it isn't quite justified as the guy is obviously very well respected to be voted onto the FA board and at such a young age, he is still developing and likely to make mistakes like the rest of us (though Mcleish is still totally defensible).

Brummybloke, you're entitled to your opinion. What I am saying is that 'he who shall not be named' was used. The finances HAD to be sorted and the club sold the players. 'he who shall not be named' had little choice but to go along with the plan for austerity measures, such was the mess that the club were in, thanks to the Faulkners and Randy's allowing MON to dictate the running of the club. What I am saying is that I think Faulkner has learnt from the experience. We were always going to have a tough year. That was last season, but I expect, with the quick sacking and quick appointment of a new Manager, the damage is repaired quickly. (I hope!)

steve i understand what you are saying ( i think?) but if indeed that was the plan, it has cost in financial and in footballing terms, a huge amount

i would have thought it would have been far more cost effective to just appoint a good manager?

the contracts have run down anyway, the gibbon didnt actually do anything apart from make most of us hate every saturday

i would guess in real terms that 1 appointment which i still think was 95% faulkners fault probably cost this club around £30 million in 1 season so i cant really see how the gibbon was being used, it was not to anyones benefit that the gibbon was appointed unless backhanders were given out because there is no way it was for football reasons and again as the finances took a huge nosedive due to the appointment, it couldnt have been in aston villas interests either, which only leaves that it was in someones personal interests.

what ever the case it willmean we have to tighten our belts for a further 1 or 2 years now, all down to that one appointment.

a very expensive mistake to make indeed

Just to say I thought he was excellent in the PC.

He seems to have 'grown' into it now. The FA thing will help too.

Yes, I thought that too.

Not coming across as a rabbit in headlights any more. Seems more relaxed and assured, which can surely only be a good thing.

Just listened to the PF interview from today and seemed a knowledgable likeable chap. Certainly gone up in my estimations in recent weeks, hopefully know we have turned a corner and the bright future can be bright once again.

Messed up on AM but definately played a blinder on Lambert . Used the smokescreen of OGS and got their man in the end .

Credit where credit is due

any news on Culverhouse and Karsa MM?

I think TT should NOT feel any shame in tracking Randy's jet from now on neither!

As for IC & GK....

Obviously sensitive area methinks going on PC. Someone said think it was NCFC fans - Culverhouse is a free agent end of this month but not sure about Karsa.

Faulkner did I think let it slip though on AVTV interview because he mentioned "bedding people in at BMH before the players return for pre season training".... hmmm Paul Lambert is only 1 person thought........

Other point is they might have to let staff go at BMH or shift them around so it's not fair to oust people publically at a PC before discussing matters with them.

We do have 2 vacancies to fill in anycase because Grant left with AM didn't he?

I like him.

I don't know enough about his job role to know whether he does an amazing job or a shit one, but I've liked what I've heard from him lately & he must be doing something right to get on the FA Council.

I too have just watched the Faulkner interview on AVTV and he seem like he knows his stuff. Also, when mentioning Lamberts previous teams, he mentioned the fact that he was at the Wycombe v Chelsea, so maybe he's not just some business man that Lerner champions. He's also a football fan. (Unless he was out in the street selling scarves :detect:)

I like paul. Make no mistske they dropped a very sizeable bollock last time, but he seems to be the type of chap a manager can get on witht and work well alongside.

I also like the macron kit deal, as ceo i assume he had a big hand in that too. We just need to be a bit more sensible in the future.

Â