David Luiz

VillaChris

What happened to the days when you wanted your defenders to be able to defend first and foremost?

Cafu.   It's more complicated than that, but the game moved on from defenders only being defenders some time in the early to mid 1990s. 

What happened to the days when you wanted your defenders to be able to defend first and foremost?

Cafu. It's more complicated than that, but the game moved on from defenders only being defenders some time in the early to mid 1990s.

I'm not saying they should only be able to defend but I'm a firm believer that a defenders main qualities should be to be able to defend.

• Like 1

At this point, I watch him play and say, "wow, he would make a decent midfielder if he gets more positional sense as he gets older" till I remember he's 27 already. Wow.

Didn't realise he was 27, I thought he was around 23/24!

I do like Luiz, but for his attacking capabilities rather than defensive. How many centre halfs can score a free kick like he has?!

At this point, I watch him play and say, "wow, he would make a decent midfielder if he gets more positional sense as he gets older" till I remember he's 27 already. Wow.

Didn't realise he was 27, I thought he was around 23/24!

I do like Luiz, but for his attacking capabilities rather than defensive. How many centre halfs can score a free kick like he has?!

But for every free kick he puts in the net there are about 5 defensive errors that can lead to goals going in.

He's a good footballer, he isn't a defender. The fact that he is 27 shows to me that he never will be.

• 9 years later...
Â