David Luiz

VillaChris

I felt sorry for him last night. Left exposed by a manager completely out of his depth.

a manager that has won the World Cup before and has think 3 Copa Liberatadores. dinosaur tactician yes but not out of his depth

Out of his depth in the modern era. I know all about his history, but just like our own it counts for nothing when the first whistle goes.

Out of his depth in the modern era. I know all about his history, but just like our own it counts for nothing when the first whistle goes.

He was hounded out of Chelsea as soon as he arrived because his training sessions were a joke. If you look at the way he set brazil up to play throughout his career it's been awful, just relying on individual talent to create goals/chances. Scolari was the reason Brazil were a team of thugs at this world cup. A Proper manager would have gotten the best out of the good players they have.

well even though eh did win in 2002 it was mentioned at the time he got lucky in Emerson got injured in pre tournament and this allowed him play Juninho at the start to give midfield more of a central playmaker

You can probably find examples of good luck and fortune in pretty much every winning team in every sport since the dawn of time though. 

• Like 1

THE 2002 team was miles better than this Brazil. You could make a case at the time for Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Lucio, ROnaldinho, Rivaldo and Ronaldo all being contenders for world 11 team at the time, who out of this team would even get close.

What's worth remembering is Brazil actually really struggled to qualify for that world cup and I can see the same happening for 2018.

4 automatic places and Chile, Colombia and Argentina all look in better shape than them. What will probably save them is Uruguay being in major transition as a lot of their squad are in their 30s now and they don't have much depth.

I wonder what the minimum Chelsea would have sold him for is though.  They had invested a lot of money in the bloke, he was £21.5m + Matic when Chelsea signed him, then they bought Matic back for £21m a couple of years later.  I'm sure there is some kind of warped accountancy which shows Luiz is responsible for some £42m of Chelsea's money so maybe they were never going to accept anything other than an insane offer. 

You're probably right but it's still unbelievable that PSG offered it. If I had £50m to spend, I certainly wouldn't be spending it all on Luiz. I bet Chelsea couldn't believe their luck when the offer was tabled. 

Part of me cynically thinks we'll see more of this between the super rich clubs. Properly inflated transfer fees to get round FFP perhaps?

• Like 1

I felt sorry for him last night. Left exposed by a manager completely out of his depth. 

I doubt the manager told him to go out and play like a pub footballer.

Lambert gets away with doing that quite a lot 

You could make a case at the time for Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Lucio, ROnaldinho, Rivaldo and Ronaldo all being contenders for world 11 team at the time, who out of this team would even get close.

T. Silva and Marcelo would be in the XI, Neymar would get close.

You could make a case at the time for Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Lucio, ROnaldinho, Rivaldo and Ronaldo all being contenders for world 11 team at the time, who out of this team would even get close.

Marcelo would be ahead of Roberto Carlos? :o

Marcelo would be ahead of Roberto Carlos? :o

Sorry I thought the idea was that they'd get in the current world XI. Carlos > Marcelo

Phillip Lahm and even now all day and all night Ashley Cole ahead of Marcelo in the left back world 11 stakes.

I'll give you Thiago Silva, real dearth of quality CBs around compared to 10 years ago.

I thought Neymar had an average season at Barca, he wasn't even starting games towards the end. Again to me if I was offered Neymar or Aguero I'd take Aguero.

• Like 1

Phillip Lahm and even now all day and all night Ashley Cole ahead of Marcelo in the left back world 11 stakes.

I'll give you Thiago Silva, real dearth of quality CBs around compared to 10 years ago.

I thought Neymar had an average season at Barca, he wasn't even starting games towards the end. Again to me if I was offered Neymar or Aguero I'd take Aguero.

Ashley Cole has been deemed surplus to requirements at club and international level. He isn't the best left back in the world. Seriously.

Also, I can't even remember the last time Lahm played LB. 3 years ago maybe? Either way if we're counting players who used to play LB but haven't for years and are now better players in other positions then Bale would be my pick. If we're only picking players who've played LB in the last 1000 days then Marcelo.

Marcello had a shocking WC. He can't defend. Stats wise the best left back in Europe last season was Felipe Luis and he didn't even make the Brazil squad. I think even Maxwell would have been a better choice at LB.

Marcello had a shocking WC. He can't defend. Stats wise the best left back in Europe last season was Felipe Luis and he didn't even make the Brazil squad. I think even Maxwell would have been a better choice at LB.

He can defend in a well organised system (ie. not Fat Phil's attempt at a team) but he's obviously primarily an attacking full back. Luis is better at defending but defending is boring.

Ashley Coles opinion (not that it particularly strengthens my argument):

305023_279840675454589_170734629_n.jpg

Sorry for OT, this is about another good footballer who couldn't mark a bingo card and has invented the non defending CB role for our entertainment.

What happened to the days when you wanted your defenders to be able to defend first and foremost?

TV deals happened. Millions of people don't want to watch Chris Morgan's disfigured face headbutt someone's shoe off, they want to see David Luiz try and skin 3 people when he's last man. I certainly do anyway.

Edited by ArteSuave

What happened to the days when you wanted your defenders to be able to defend first and foremost?

TV deals happened. Millions of people don't want to watch Chris Morgan's disfigured face headbutt someone's shoe off, they want to see David Luiz try and skin 3 people when he's last man. I certainly do anyway.

I bet you he ends up as a midfielder.

I bet you he ends up as a midfielder.

He may well do but it'll be less entertaining if he does. I'd like to see more attacking CB playmakers but if they're ever going to catch on then they probably should have a bit more positional sense than DL does.

Â