Things wrong with our club?

Dodgyknees

We have an owner no interested and looking to keep costs low until a buyer can be found.

We have a yes man manager happy to work under these restrictions who adds his own list of limitations.

Apart from 2-3 players we have an awful squad of players, many of them not good enough for the premier league.

• Like 1

I can understand cutting back on spending extravagant amounts if Lerner wants to sell, I can't understand doing it to this extent though. If I want to sell my house, sure I won't splash out on the new luxury bathroom I was previously thinking of putting in, but I wouldn't decide to decorate the walls with excrement instead. Tends to put potential buyers off.

• Like 3

The only thing right with the clubs is the fans. The rest is a disgrace.

Don't know about that, some of the fans are pretty disgraceful..... I always seem to end up next to them <_<

The problem is the fans they expect the club to spend money it doesn't make. Simple. Slow build is what we deserve as we don't generate enough cash for the club.

If we weren't so slow to react, so far behind in ideas and under the management of a custodian who makes mistake after mistake we would not be in a situation where we cannot spend. Other teams with smaller crowds and finance, spend a lot more than us. There is ZERO excuse for the fact we are run with such incredible financial restraints. NO EXCUSES, that we are run like Wigan, or get beaten to Holtby by Fulham, Lukaku to West Brom and that the manager has said he wanted an AM at the beginning of the summer - it never happened - we were always a few players short of where we needed to be and the fault is at the door of Lerner. There are NO EXCUSES for running us like a championship club.

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 2

The problem is the fans they expect the club to spend money it doesn't make. Simple. Slow build is what we deserve as we don't generate enough cash for the club.

If we weren't so slow to react, so far behind in ideas and under the management of a custodian who makes mistake after mistake we would not be in a situation where we cannot spend. Other teams with smaller crowds and finance, spend a lot more than us. There is ZERO excuse for the fact we are run with such incredible financial restraints. NO EXCUSES, that we are run like Wigan, or get beaten to Holtby by Fulham, Lukaku to West Brom and that the manager has said he wanted an AM at the beginning of the summer - it never happened - we were always a few players short of where we needed to be and the fault is at the door of Lerner. There are NO EXCUSES for running us like a championship club.

Spot on.

The chairman and whichever poxy little moneymen he has running around telling him he needs to spend less and cut costs instead of being the billionaire he is supposed to be and plunging money into making our club great.
I couldn't care about his well being or the well being of his family... He brought our club with this big scheme of making us great - THATS what I care about... and he has failed in that scheme just like he failed with the Cleveland Browns for years and years...

Get him out...

This is excellently said.

I can't help but feel the whole club needs to hit the reset button. The management has become so disengaged from the fans that we feel like we don't matter any more. This isn't new, it's been dragging on for as long as I can remember. 

A simple thing for me would be to rename the Doug Ellis to anything else (McGregor???). Get that sociopath's grubby print off our club once and for all. Then find the funds to redevelop the North stand. Freshen the place up and bring Villa Park into the 21st century instead of relying on past reputation all the time. Lift the crowd, lift the atmosphere and above all communicate with us like we're adults. None of this Paul Lambert nonsense of "I think the fans know what we're trying to do here..."

Only problem is that will cost money. We are already on a budget regarding the team so I'd hate to think we would spend money on something that aint really that important at the minute. I'd rather every spare penny go on players. I see your point regarding both stands but there really is no point sorting the north stand out until we get more people through the gates and that won't happen until we are doing well again. Villa park already looks and feels terrible with 10 to 12k empty seats let alone 15 to 20k empty seats.

Renaming the Doug Ellis would look like an act of pettiness towards a guy who may not be all that much longer for the world. It shouldn't have been given that name in the first place but that is another story. At least there will never be any clamour for a Randy Lerner Stand.

To be honest the Ellis years are beginning to feel like a lost golden era...

• Like 1

Only problem is that will cost money. We are already on a budget regarding the team so I'd hate to think we would spend money on something that aint really that important at the minute. I'd rather every spare penny go on players. I see your point regarding both stands but there really is no point sorting the north stand out until we get more people through the gates and that won't happen until we are doing well again. Villa park already looks and feels terrible with 10 to 12k empty seats let alone 15 to 20k empty seats.

OK, I can sort of buy that, but at least it may provide something tangible to make the club 'feel' big again rather than constantly wasting it on the pitch. It might just be the catalyst we need.

Renaming the Doug Ellis would be a cheap and easy message though. Draw a line under that loon's era.

Renaming the Doug Ellis would look like an act of pettiness towards a guy who may not be all that much longer for the world. It shouldn't have been given that name in the first place but that is another story. At least there will never be any clamour for a Randy Lerner Stand.

To be honest the Ellis years are beginning to feel like a lost golden era...

The act of pettiness would be nothing in comparison to the act of self-importance it took in the first place. But I suppose the 'Man on the Terraces' would never understand.

We could have the combined Ellis/Lerner toilets instead.

• Like 1

Whilst stuff on the pitch is poor and the chairmans actions are poor, there is also a lot of good about the club. We do a lot for the community,we have good facilities and good youth development (who we look after even if they aren't going to make it at top level).

What we need is someone to put it all together.

I here all the calls and arguments about Lambert having no money and having a difficult job....and i agree,however.

There are some missing  intangibles from this team that don't cost money.

Attitude, conviction, will, controlled aggression, ascertiveness, pride,application.

I have just watched Crystal Palace, who illustrated most of those attributes yesterday, they are mentally and physically in tune, by all accounts by an average manager.

A large proportion of our problems are managerial.....Whether the austerity programme has worn Lambert down ,I don't know....... but I don't see the same "eye of the tiger" in Lambert as I do in Pulis and it reflects in his team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

I have a hunch that fans like me that was brought up on the likes of Saunders, Atkinson,Taylor,Little,Gregory......are a distraction to this administration..

We have an enhanced expectation that they just cannot live up to......Their plan now is to BREED a new fan base to match their managerial skills and rid the club of this notion of trying to succeed....I think they see it as a ridiculous notion, that is beyond our remit.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Where do I start?

1) Our disinterested and absent owner who clearly wants out.

2) Our useless excuse of manager who has no motivational and organisation skills.

3) Our useless [do not swear]of a manager who has no Plan B or Plan A for that matter.

4) Our players who in many cases who show next to no commitment to the cause.

5) The fact that the long suffering fans are treated to a horror story at home every two weeks.

6) The dire atmosphere at home games.

7) The [do not swear] football we play week in and week out.

8) Walking away from Villa Park with the victory chants of the opposition fans ringing in your ears.

9) Wishing I has not wasted my time and money by going to the game.

10) Dreading the next home game.

I could go on....

Wow! After reading that I think I no longer support Aston Villa. Thank you for setting me free.

And stone cold sober this morning I stand by every word of it (sadly). The whole Lerner era for me has been a disaster. It started so brightly and there is only one way it will end the way we are going and that is relegation.

Â