Things wrong with our club?

Dodgyknees

Harry, This man changed for me.

This Randolph Lerner is not the one that took over our club...He's a changed man.

I have supported him in the past and appreciate some of the things he has done for our club that Ellis clearly did not or hadn't the funds to do.

We started off with a bright and vibrant Administration...and as the "Earth wind and fire" song goes..."something happened along the way"

I don't profess to know the answers, but all this clearly ain't right..... we appear to be a procrastinating decisionless outfit

This club is in a mental malaise of rudderless stewardship and continued on this course its just a matter of when not if they go down ( i don't think this lot will come back too quick either)

I am not suggesting HDE was better as a whole, but on the footballing side, he would not have tolerated some of this trash, we are witnessing.....decisions would have been made.

Edited by blandy

I have a hunch that fans like me that was brought up on the likes of Saunders, Atkinson,Taylor,Little,Gregory......are a distraction to this administration..

We have an enhanced expectation that they just cannot live up to......There plan now is to BREED a new fan base to match their managerial skills and rid the club of this notion of trying to succeed....I think they see it as a ridiculous notion, that is beyond our remit.

Wow. This is up there with the Illuminati, lizard people and the moon landing's being faked in the conspiracy theory stakes.

Nobody in the club is asking for any of those things - nobody wants to fail, they all want us to win every game we can but it's just not possible to do that. As a football fan, you have to be flexible with your expectations at times and you have to be patient at times - it's the same as life - peaks and troughs. 

• Like 1

TRO I agree with all that you say. I still recall the excitement when DOL was sacked, MON started and Lerner bought the club. Sadly all that is just a distant memory and IMO we now have one of the very worst owners in the division with the club being run by donkeys.

This club is in a mental malaise of rudderless stewardship and continued on this course its just a matter of when not if they go down ( i don't think this lot will come back too quick either)

I am not suggesting HDE was better as a whole, but on the footballing side, he would not have tolerated some of this trash, we are witnessing.....decisions would have been made.

I have a hunch that fans like me that was brought up on the likes of Saunders, Atkinson,Taylor,Little,Gregory......are a distraction to this administration..

We have an enhanced expectation that they just cannot live up to......There plan now is to BREED a new fan base to match their managerial skills and rid the club of this notion of trying to succeed....I think they see it as a ridiculous notion, that is beyond our remit.

Wow. This is up there with the Illuminati, lizard people and the moon landing's being faked in the conspiracy theory stakes.

Nobody in the club is asking for any of those things - nobody wants to fail, they all want us to win every game we can but it's just not possible to do that. As a football fan, you have to be flexible with your expectations at times and you have to be patient at times - it's the same as life - peaks and troughs. 

would you like to come and sit next to me and i will show you the bits that are totally unacceptable at this level....just about week after week with the odd break like against Chelsea.

If this club is going to expect that standard week in and week out....I can only possibly assume that my thoughts and expectations are out dated for this club.

sitting on our hands  won't change it.....action is required.

• Like 1

But the club isn't sitting on its hands, is it? If they planned on doing that, why go through the bother of a massive overhaul? 

Nobody is saying that it's acceptable and they shouldn't but it's clear that there is a plan in place, which is ostensibly trying to emulate a club like Everton - which is to grow a side, because we can't buy our way to success. The club is still spending money but the massive change was always going to be disruptive and have a lot of teething issues - I was extremely frustrated with yesterday's performance too but these things take time. 

There is plenty wrong with our club, and a fair bit right about it.

There is loads wrong with football at the moment, and at the top level not much right with it.

Until football in a wider sense is sorted out, it doesn't matter what we do as a club, we'll struggle. 

We have an enhanced expectation that they just cannot live up to......Their plan now is to BREED a new fan base to match their managerial skills and rid the club of this notion of trying to succeed....I think they see it as a ridiculous notion, that is beyond our remit.

I think that's the same for most clubs - money is now so important in football that only the very richest clubs have a real chance of success.

That isn't to say that there are problems specific to this club, but the situation with regards to money in football is impossible to ignore now.

Constant mentions of 'rebuilding' the squad are quite clever as they make fans think we're on the brink of greatness again, aided by the scapegoating of the 'big wage' players. That way fans will keep showing up in the hope that the new and improved era of Villa is just around the corner. 

Don't get me wrong, hovering around 12-13th, while boring, is an improvement. But next season there needs to be significant investment for us to progress, otherwise I'll personally start properly doubting the 'project'. 

• Like 3

Constant mentions of 'rebuilding' the squad are quite clever as they make fans think we're on the brink of greatness again, aided by the scapegoating of the 'big wage' players. That way fans will keep showing up in the hope that the new and improved era of Villa is just around the corner. 

Don't get me wrong, hovering around 12-13th, while boring, is an improvement. But next season there needs to be significant investment for us to progress, otherwise I'll personally start properly doubting the 'project'. 

I think most people are just sticking to their guns when they said that they'll give him time to mould the squad in the way that he wants. He's done pretty much all of the clear-out, this summer is the time for him to focus on improving the quality. I'll definitely be done with Lambert if we aren't looking healthier by Christmas. 

• Like 1

Its not really an improvement, if we're not there after the last game though. We have to wait till the season is over to reflect and drag conclusion wheter its been an improvement or not.

• Like 1

Its not really an improvement, if we're not there after the last game though. We have to wait till the season is over to reflect and drag conclusion wheter its been an improvement or not.

If we lose our next game we have exact the same points as we had this time last season.

So the fact is: There is no progression, nor in our general play or in our league position.

hmmm

We have an enhanced expectation that they just cannot live up to......Their plan now is to BREED a new fan base to match their managerial skills and rid the club of this notion of trying to succeed....I think they see it as a ridiculous notion, that is beyond our remit.

I think that's the same for most clubs - money is now so important in football that only the very richest clubs have a real chance of success.

That isn't to say that there are problems specific to this club, but the situation with regards to money in football is impossible to ignore now.

Mantis, I say this with a genuine air of sincerity in your comments and I am not foolish enough to say, it can be ignored, money that is.....but I simply don't buy the argument that without money we are doomed, presumably we are talking about the big money.... the Mata type deals and the like.

I will say it again,I simply don't buy that defeatist statement....and lets face it, it is difficult( but then it always was, just more so now) but I am also right, its defeatist.

I sometimes think it is a cop out when you show an example, because no matter what i say you will disagree and counter with just one example or that was then or different league or different circumstance because it wasn't us.

Everton have done it and so did we with some of our previous managers, play top of the table football, that was believeable.....That cost us modest sums.

I heard an Everton fan waxing lyrical on the Stan Collymore show this evening....The fan was praising Moyes and Martinez for different reasons, Stan Said " What did Moyes do for you" ( topical I guess) The fan replied He put discipline in the team, Industry in terms of work rate.... but above all HE BOUGHT QUALITY PLAYERS WITH LITTLE MONEY.....and Martinez has added the flair and guile.

You see, you can build a team with little money......YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE TO SHOP AND WHO TO BUY.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Mantis, I say this with a genuine air of sincerity in your comments and I am not foolish enough to say, it can be ignored, money that is.....but I simply don't buy the argument that without money we are doomed, presumably we are talking about the big money.... the Mata type deals and the like.

I will say it again,I simply don't buy that defeatist statement....and lets face it, it is difficult( but then it always was, just more so now) but I am also right, its defeatist.

I sometimes think it is a cop out when you show an example, because no matter what i say you will disagree and counter with just one example or that was then or different league or different circumstance because it wasn't us.

Everton have done it and so did we with some of our previous managers, play top of the table football, that was believeable.....That cost us modest sums.

I heard an Everton fan waxing lyrical on the Stan Collymore show this evening....The fan was praising Moyes and Martinez for different reasons, Stan Said " What did Moyes do for you" ( topical I guess) The fan replied He put discipline in the team, Industry in terms of work rate.... but above all HE BOUGHT QUALITY PLAYERS WITH LITTLE MONEY.....and Martinez has added the flair and guile.

You see, you can build a team with little money......YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE TO SHOP AND WHO TO BUY.

bang on, it takes a lot of patience also.

I think basically whats wrong with our club including some of the fans.... we have become defeatist.

No drive or striving for perfection, settle for second best too easily and that second best becomes third best.

We had managers in the past that was NOT like that....I have been blessed as a fan of witnessing Villa Park Staff that worked to win every game.

Alex Ferguson wrote in the Sunday People, when he first went there :

" If you give in once you will always give in and that is the last thing that is going to happen at this football club"...." I never give in or give up easily on a player or cause.Even if the team have won I'm not always happy, because standards are all-important to me and if they drop I'm angry.

That sort of mentality is missing from our club IMO.

That to me is whats wrong in the main

• Like 1

bang on, it takes a lot of patience also.

.....patience, we ought bottle that, and sell it world wide, the amount we have.

Edited by TRO

Hoddle is an interesting one

I heard someone on 5 live say once that loads of England players reckon he was the best coach they ever played under and that he is a top coach

However , he is also completely barking

The speaker ( it may have been Steve Claridge ?) said that he would be a gamble and need the right chairman but whoever got him would probably do well out of it

But I digress...

To answer the question , without doubt Lerner has to go , we will be relegated if he stays , possibly even this season

I've seen nothing in Lambert to suggest he deserves a chance with a new chairman and a sack of cash , so Lambert has to go as well

As to who we appoint .. Well that's the tricky one , for every Atkinson there is a Venglos

• Like 1

Â