Leicester City

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

I sometimes think about whether we should've let Albrighton go but like a lot of Leicester players I don't think he's anything special really - it's the system and the team as a whole which has got them this far.

Yes he's just one cog. I can't think of a Leicester player that isn't playing to the maximum of their ability. Everyone expects them to falter but they have come through a very tough period and are joint top. Even when the goals have dried up they are picking up points.

Albrighton is the one example I think of when people justify getting rid of our mediocre players for not being anything special.  I know the 'B' word (Bannan) has come up elsewhere recently, and it's true that he completely flattered to deceive at Villa, quickly hitting his ceiling after bursting onto the scene with so much potential.  But when people rightly say that we were justified in getting rid of him, I do wonder whether his time at Villa was that much worse than Albrighton's was?  Maybe it was, but not by a whole lot.

But anyway, my point is, the timing of the situation and the environment that a player finds himself in once he moves can often be every bit as important as that player's ability; provided he's not a total donkey.  Albrighton landed on his feet at Leicester, eventually.  He went long periods out of the side.  He could as easily have gotten stuck in the Championship like many of our other ex-players.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

I think last night's result was very significant for them.  Going to White Hart Lane in January; a top 4 rival; and beating them to go back joint top.  That's absolutely huge.  Most people had their bubble about to burst.  They had a few draws.  Vardy under the knife.  Wins turning into draws and then this.

I think now with them being 8pts off 5th, and the only realistic squads capable of catching them outside of that being United & Liverpool, they've got to be taken very seriously for a top 4 finish.  I still don't think they've a realistic shot at the title.  I expect that to be between Arsenal and City.   But it'll take some effort from the rest to displace them from the CL spots now.

And I think it's absolutely brilliant :thumb:

I watched a game (highlights) a while back - maybe it was v Chelsea at home and they reminded me massively of us in 1980/81 with the effort, teamwork, closing down, team spirit and all that. I thought solely on the basis of that viewing that they might win the league. They just looked massively sorted. it is brilliant. 

I think the more teams start respecting and fearing them the less effective their game plan will become as they are so dependant on the counter with the other side leaving space at the back, which we've seen somewhat with their recent poor goal return (In relation to earlier in the season). Looks like Vardy is still off the pace after the injury which is hindering them a lot as he had the ability to turn hoofs up-field, especially from Schmeichel which they do a lot, into goal scoring chances with his movement and relentless pressure on the defence. This said even when struggling to find space to exploit they are a real threat from set-pieces which they have shown in their last two games against Spurs.

Edited by penguin

On 14/01/2016 at 13:55, BOF said:

Albrighton is the one example I think of when people justify getting rid of our mediocre players for not being anything special.  I know the 'B' word (Bannan) has come up elsewhere recently, and it's true that he completely flattered to deceive at Villa, quickly hitting his ceiling after bursting onto the scene with so much potential.  But when people rightly say that we were justified in getting rid of him, I do wonder whether his time at Villa was that much worse than Albrighton's was?  Maybe it was, but not by a whole lot.

But anyway, my point is, the timing of the situation and the environment that a player finds himself in once he moves can often be every bit as important as that player's ability; provided he's not a total donkey.  Albrighton landed on his feet at Leicester, eventually.  He went long periods out of the side.  He could as easily have gotten stuck in the Championship like many of our other ex-players.

Yes its difficult to make the grade at Villa with the amount of pressure on results over the last 4 or 5 years. Bannan has found his niche at Shef Wednesday. He's been playing really really well and the fans like him. 

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

No chance this lot will win the league, it's Arsenal's for the taking.

This, Leicester right now have a solid defence and a knack of scoring from 1 chance, it's confidence over ability, tonight we had the ball and passed for fun without threatening there 18 yard box, they win the ball and 3 passes later they were in our box.

id have loved bacuna to break vardys nose at the end.

• Like 1

Mahrez is gone, he's been shite for them for a few games now, obviously waiting for a summer move.

They won't keep it up, they're a mid/lower table side that's been full of confidence for a while, once that confidence goes the wheels will come off. Glad to see Vardy's gone back to being shit again, he's essentially Gabby under MON, except a massive word removed too.

I still hope they win the league - even if it's because of momentum and confidence rather than quality. They are doing what I would love Villa to do, I am very jealous but good luck to them.

It would demonstrate that football isn't just about who spends the most money. 

If they do win the league or qualify for champions league - I hope all their best players stay to give it a go, rather than chasing fatter contracts at so called bigger clubs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, useless said:

I hope they drop out of the top four and have to play in the Europa next season.

I don't know why people (not just you, useless) want Leicester to fail? Any team that breaks the status quo of the usual big, rich teams is ok in my book. I'd rather see Leicester top 4 than Liverpool, Man Utd or Chelsea. 

1 hour ago, Arj Guy said:

They play Stoke, Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal in their next 4 games. Let the decline begin

In the last 4-6 weeks they've beaten Chelsea, Everton and Spurs and drawn with Man Utd and Man City. That's not too bad. They keep defying the odds! 

• Like 2

I was impressed in the first half. They looked so much better than us physically, much better athletes, plus mentally much, much sharper, playing one/two touch football, hunting in packs, and always moving into space. 

In the second half their levels dropped significantly and we made a much better go of it. Kante is a brilliant player and Drinkwater is surprising very good. But with Vardy no longer in goal scoring form, and Mahrez frankly looking awful, they are going to struggle to break the top sides down. They will definitely slip away and I don't think they will finish in the top four.

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

I don't know why people (not just you, useless) want Leicester to fail? Any team that breaks the status quo of the usual big, rich teams is ok in my book. I'd rather see Leicester top 4 than Liverpool, Man Utd or Chelsea. 

In the last 4-6 weeks they've beaten Chelsea, Everton and Spurs and drawn with Man Utd and Man City. That's not too bad. They keep defying the odds! 

dont get it myself, Leicester are more enjoyable to qualify for Champions League than the usual bunch of teams that do every year

Â