Leicester City

Villan4Life

Yeah, but people always say "Why would they go to another club, they might not play".

Players don't seem to care about that that much these days.

Who knows, Leicester could be revolutionising football in other ways than just on the pitch. I just don't see how they hold onto these players. Unless of course they're all doped up and fear being found out. :P

I don't think they've got that many players that teams in the champions league would want. The best thing about them is the way they play as a team, they're more than the sum of their parts. But take individuals out and put them in other teams and they'd look pretty average.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think when the bubble bursts thats when they will want out. If they win the league, no way they will leave imo.

They're nailed on top 4, so some of them will probably stick around for Champions League football. 

If they win the league then fair play, but I imagine they will collapse next season without huge, absolutely enormous (£100m+) investment. I somehow do not think that squad will cope with the pressure of having to defend a title, at the moment they have no expectation, if they win they will have plenty. 

Also, the Champions League will likely kill off their squad (again if they don't throw loads of money at it). I remember when Real Sociedad finished second in 03/04 with some excellent players. They lost a couple of key players the following season, with other key players not reproducing the same sort of form and I believe finished bottom half.

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

If they win the league then fair play, but I imagine they will collapse next season without huge, absolutely enormous (£100m+) investment. I somehow do not think that squad will cope with the pressure of having to defend a title, at the moment they have no expectation, if they win they will have plenty. 

You'd take that though, wouldn't you, in their shoes. Winning the league would be absolutely fantastic for them, beyond the dreams of their players and fans. And they're going to rake in a ton of cash for finishing right up the top and more, perhaps from Champions league. They'll be able to attract players that would otherwise be beyond them. It'll set them up for a good while.

I really hope they do win the league. It's so so dreary when it's a Man U, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool that the media go on about all the time. They still will, probably, but Leicester winning it would be at least a chipping away at the artificial and rigged nature of the league.

Can't see them winning it. Right now they're like the smaller team that's just gone 2-0 up against United or City or whoever. They've done very well but soon they'll start to realise the enormity of what they've done and wobble big time.

but people would say they will wobble for 3 months. they had a minor wobble at Christmas when Vardy and Mahrez went off form and still lost 1 game and conceded 2 goals since. They are here to stay til the end and they only have 13 games left while City, Arsenal and Spurs have probably 18 or 19 and long distance trips thrown in

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Can't see them winning it. Right now they're like the smaller team that's just gone 2-0 up against United or City or whoever. They've done very well but soon they'll start to realise the enormity of what they've done and wobble big time.

People keep saying this, while they're improving their playing style, conceding less goals and scoring more.  They are the form team in the league, and they've just beaten arguably their biggest challenger in their own back yard.

I hope they win the league, I really do.  As someone else said, this is the best thing to happen to football since 1992.

What helps them is the points tally to win the league is dropping all the time.

To get to 80 points now Man. City need to win 11/13 games. Unless Kompany comes back next week no chance as they are a total car crash at the back. Plus they'll invetiably drop points when the CL starts again particularly as they're also in the two other cups.

Contary to popular belief City don't actually have that big a squad somehow despite the money. Take a look at their subs bench yesterday, how on earth is Celina?

Spurs are doing well but they still have so many tough games left in their schedule, still have to go to Man. City next week, West Ham, Stoke, Chelsea, Liverpool, they simply won't win all of those games particularly as they'll be starting europa league again soon so will have to play Thursday-Sunday.

Only word of warning for Leicester will be this:

Exactly 7 years ago, 7th Feb 2009 we went to Blackburn and won 2-0. Think we had 51 points that day, so only two less than Leicester. We only were third at the time which probably gives you an idea of how strong the prem was back then compared to now but as everyone knows we collapsed and only won 2 out of our last 14 or whatever it was.

I wonder how Leicester would react if they had a Stoke type game e.g. 2 up with 10 minutes left and they only draw. That to me is the only thing that can hurt them now as they've shown they can react to a couple of winless games as they had over xmas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

Yeah, but people always say "Why would they go to another club, they might not play".

Players don't seem to care about that that much these days.

But players will back themselves.

I've always said this. If a big club wants Mahrez, then he's probably not going to think "Oh good I can sit on the bench and earn thousands of pounds a week"

Any player worth their salt is going to be confident enough to think they can break into those teams. It doesn't always happen. But if I were a player, at a club where I had no real affection (i.e. not Villa) then I wouldn't turn down a move to a big club like that at an early stage in my career. I don't think anyone would. You want to try and make it at a high level.

I don't think it's the players not caring. I'm sure they would care if they KNEW they wouldn't play where they're going. But they won't know that. They;ll think they can make it.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

But players will back themselves.

I've always said this. If a big club wants Mahrez, then he's probably not going to think "Oh good I can sit on the bench and earn thousands of pounds a week"

Any player worth their salt is going to be confident enough to think they can break into those teams. It doesn't always happen. But if I were a player, at a club where I had no real affection (i.e. not Villa) then I wouldn't turn down a move to a big club like that at an early stage in my career. I don't think anyone would. You want to try and make it at a high level.

I don't think it's the players not caring. I'm sure they would care if they KNEW they wouldn't play where they're going. But they won't know that. They;ll think they can make it.

Backing themselves is sort of what I was getting at. We hear all the time from fans that they aren't good enough but no player will turn down those offers because they don't fancy themselves.

Leicester will have champions league though next season which wasn't the carrot we had for Young, Milner and Downing to stay nor will Everton have it for Stones and Lukaku.

That will make a massive difference, Bale and Modric were happy to stay at Spurs when they were in the CL but as soon as they stopped qualifying started putting feelers out to the agents.

1 hour ago, MMFy said:

People keep saying this, while they're improving their playing style, conceding less goals and scoring more.  They are the form team in the league, and they've just beaten arguably their biggest challenger in their own back yard.

I hope they win the league, I really do.  As someone else said, this is the best thing to happen to football since 1992.

It's psychological though - the moment their players realise that they've actually got a real chance of winning the title they could easily fold under the pressure.

3 hours ago, useless said:

I don't think they've got that many players that teams in the champions league would want. The best thing about them is the way they play as a team, they're more than the sum of their parts. But take individuals out and put them in other teams and they'd look pretty average.

One of our best pundits made just this argument yesterday. They are now as a unit very good but as individual players they wouldn't be much of an influence in other teams. Think both him and you are correct.

4 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Signing a new contract means nothing.

I honestly don't see them staying if another team who are in the Champions League come in for them.

Richard Keys was chatting to Brendan Rodgers on his show yesterday and they both said that the contract extension could equally be about getting Leicester a higher fee if he moves on. They actually referenced Delph as such a case.

Rodgers alluded to the fact that it's becoming quite a common agreement between player and club when the player has been given the 'shop window' for them to get their big move.

Â