Leicester City

Villan4Life

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I still find it a bit odd how many seem to be so overly pleased for them. Don't get me wrong they've done something truly remarkable and I congratulate them for it but I can't feel that elated about this. I only support Villa after all.

If it was any of the other clubs around the top 8, I wouldn't give a shit.

I wouldn't want Spurs to win it. I definitely didn't want Liverpool to win a couple of years ago.

But Leicester? They've been through more shit than we have over the years. It's hard not to be pleased for them, I'd feel the same about any club that's been down towards the bottom of the league, and relegated over the years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supernova26 said:

All bought into the Sky hype haven't they. A team which would be comfortably bottom of half in La Liga.

Might as well celebrate Burnley winning the Championship.

Hang on Sevilla are about 6th without winning any away game this season. 

La Liga has three brilliant teams but I watch enough of Espanyol, Getafe, Valencia (back to shocking last night), Granada etc to now there's a lot of s*** as there is in any 20 team league. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, penguin said:

Absolutely no chance. If anything with the new tv deal it's going to get worse. This a freak occurrence, a fairytale by any stretch of the imagination caused by the perfect storm of innumerable factors. If it was as easy to find the next Vardy, Mahrez and Kante for the sums Leicester had paid then obviously every club would be doing it. 

No the new TV deal evens the playing field. Mid table Premier League teams can now snap up top players from big clubs in Europe and mount a challenge. 

The TV deal reduces the gap between the wealth of Man United and a promotion team. 

There is not going to be a closed shop 'sky 4' anymore, even Man U can not bank on top 4 anymore. It wasn't that long ago that 3rd was considered a disastrous season for them.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I still find it a bit odd how many seem to be so overly pleased for them. Don't get me wrong they've done something truly remarkable and I congratulate them for it but I can't feel that elated about this. I only support Villa after all.

You're still a football fan at the end of the day though?

We'd all love Villa to give us great moments season after season but it dosen't happen so you have to look elsewhere for drama.

It's just a great great achievement. We'll all look back in 5 years and laugh this actually did happen and we lived through it. I agree you won't see anything like this in the premier league for a major major length of time. 

“He (Ranieri) has lived for five years in England and still has trouble saying good morning and good afternoon,” Mourinho said.

“He is almost 70, and he has won a Super Cup and another small cup. He’s too old to change mentality.”

-Jose Mourinho.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

No the new TV deal evens the playing field. Mid table Premier League teams can now snap up top players from big clubs in Europe and mount a challenge. 

The TV deal reduces the gap between the wealth of Man United and a promotion team. 

There is not going to be a closed shop 'sky 4' anymore, even Man U can not bank on top 4 anymore. It wasn't that long ago that 3rd was considered a disastrous season for them.

End of the day there's only so many really good players to go around and many of them don't want to leave Paris, Barca, Madrid or Munich to play in the premier league.

I think this season the top clubs have taken too many punts on unproven top level players like Baba Rahman and Memphis who have not been up to the job, those two cost 40m between them.

Yet those sort can improve mid table teams. Would Payet improve a top side as much as he's improved West Ham. It's an interesting point to consider long term.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Does the new TV deal really even things up? The big clubs will have more money too.

I actually don't think that this season had anything to do with other clubs getting more money. Leicester didn't spend a great deal really. I think this season was just a one off fluke where all the rich clubs had a bad season and Leicester rode high on confidence.  It was the perfect storm and I don't think it will ever happen again.

• Like 2

It's a great underdog story, end of. If you enjoy football and the whole culture around it I find it hard to believe people can't take one day to simply express their admiration for a remarkable achievement. They just won the league an hour ago, FFS! Little Leicester City. Good for them, I say. 

That said, I hope we come straight back to the Prem and throttle them twice.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Hang on Sevilla are about 6th without winning any away game this season. 

La Liga has three brilliant teams but I watch enough of Espanyol, Getafe, Valencia (back to shocking last night), Granada etc to now there's a lot of s*** as there is in any 20 team league. 

Sevilla won 14 home matches in a row title winning home form. They are an anomaly. They get to Europa final every year because they are so strong at home.  

Edited by supernova26

2 minutes ago, supernova26 said:

Sevilla won 14 home matches in a row title winning home form. They are an anomaly. They get to Europa final every year because they are so strong at home.  

And Valencia in 9th...they've won about 4 games since November.

I'm sure it will have already been said on these pages, but I'm sure our capitulation at their place contributed in them going on to win the league. As well as the obvious 3 points I'm sure they developed the 'never say die' attitude from winning that game; and proving to themselves they could do it.

Congratulations Leicester. 

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

And Valencia in 9th...they've won about 4 games since November.

Only 4 points less than our 9th place team. 

Our coefficients are going to take a hammering next season when Leicester and co turn up.

Edited by supernova26

10 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Does the new TV deal really even things up? The big clubs will have more money too.

It closes the gap. 

It used to be that the big clubs got the bulk of their money from global fans and the champions league.  

Now the big revenue stream for all clubs is the TV money, but all teams get it, not just the 'Sky 4'  

14 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

My post was disagreeing with the notion that this could be the end of the "big money era", when in reality the money in the game is only going to increase. 

Just now, penguin said:

My post was disagreeing with the notion that this could be the end of the "big money era", when in reality the money in the game is only going to increase. 

How many good players currently in world football want to play in the premier league though?

Â