Iceland

tonyh29

• 2 weeks later...

So Reyjavik was pretty cool!

Expensive, yes.  But very nice.

I absolutely loved Strokkur Geysir and Gullfoss on the Golden Circle Tour.  Blue lagoon was amazing too.  Yea they've "resorted" it up, but it's a money trap.

Was sad about our Nothern Lights things getting cancelled twice, but hey hoe.

It's a small town with a touristy part to it, no real need to stay there more than 3 or 4 days.

I tried Minke whale, which I was rather chuffed about, but have since read that it's actually pretty bad - so now I have that to deal with. It's just like overdone minute steak.. which is weird.

Shark was ok but tasted like piss - Ruge might like it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

So Reyjavik was pretty cool!

Expensive, yes.  But very nice.

I absolutely loved Strokkur Geysir and Gullfoss on the Golden Circle Tour.  Blue lagoon was amazing too.  Yea they've "resorted" it up, but it's a money trap.

Was sad about our Nothern Lights things getting cancelled twice, but hey hoe.

It's a small town with a touristy part to it, no real need to stay there more than 3 or 4 days.

I tried Minke whale, which I was rather chuffed about, but have since read that it's actually pretty bad - so now I have that to deal with. It's just like overdone minute steak.. which is weird.

Shark was ok but tasted like piss - Ruge might like it.

I loved the Blue Lagoon. Went straight there from the airport. Nothing like relaxing in the hot water with a cold beer and a face pack on :blush:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just got back from a few days there.

We went on one of the glacier tours, so a day driving up there, a brief trek through what felt like an arctic blizzard to walking through tunnels under the glacier. That was absolutely incredible, by far the highlight of the trip. I'm slightly put out that I could get full 4g signal in a glacier out in the arse end of nowhere, but not in central Nottingham. Had a little bit of a walk about seeing some waterfalls, and so on.

The blue lagoon is **** shite, a shameless tourist trap. I've read it used to be a lot more reasonable a few years ago, but these days, it's a minimum of £70 to get in, plus likely at least £20-30 euros for a transfer, to essentially sit in a big warm bath. We were only there for 2 hours, and we were both bored by the half way point. The mrs usually loves her pamper treatment too, but the actual spa experience is pretty minimal unless you pay through the arse on top of the entrance fee. Essentially £200 for us to sit in a warm swimming pool and enjoy a drink. Not even close to being worth it, we came out of it feeling conned. 

I thought central Reykjavik was pretty dull. Saw the big church, had a wander around and didn't see much apart from international chains and miscellaneous tourist tat. Sadly, didn't get a chance to pop in to the dick museum. 

Only the glacier experience was something I really felt was worth the money. The less said about the icelandic poetry the better. :blush:

Edited by Davkaus
  • Confused 1

• 3 years later...

So put  me in the Iceland fan club category 

Scuba dived in glacier water in silfra , touched icebergs , walked on a glacier , saw seals , caught dozens and dozens of Cod , ate whale meat and puffin , saw geysers , climbed over a crashed DC3  , drunk beer in a lagoon and saw countless  natural wonders

if it wasn’t for their draconian speed limits and expensive beer I’d call it paradise 

amazing place 

Â