Iceland

tonyh29

• 3 weeks later...

I've booked 6 nights in Reykjavic in Feb.   

My plan is:

Day 1 - arrive late afternoon

Day 2 - Blue Lagoon, evening Northern Lights by Jeep.

Day 3 - Golden Circle full day tour

Day 4 - explore Reykjavic, snow-mobiling

Day 5 - ???????

Day 6 - South Sea area full day tour

Day 7 - morning flight

Any ideas what to do on Day 5??

Edited by ender4

On 15/01/2017 at 22:53, ender4 said:

I've booked 6 nights in Reykjavic in Feb.   

My plan is:

Day 2 - Blue Lagoon, evening Northern Lights by Jeep.

Day 4 - explore Reykjavic, snow-mobiling

Day 5 - ???????

Day 6 - South Sea area full day tour

Day 7 - morning flight

Any ideas what to do on Day 5??

How did you go about arranging this? 

Edited by Tayls

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/01/2017 at 22:51, Tayls said:

I booked the flight online through IcelandAir.

they give you an option to add on trips - i booked the day tours through them.

The Northern Lights trip - Iceland Air only do a coach/boat tour... so booked separately online on a Superjeep private tour.

Blue Lagoon book direct with Blue lagoon online.

Snow Mobiling i will book once i am there from one of the tour people in Reyk.  

Edited by ender4

Going on Tuesday:

Day 2 - Blue Lagoon AM, explore Reykjavic in afternoon, evening Northern Lights by Jeep.

Day 4 - snow-mobiling and Ice Cave in Langjökull (full day tour)

Day 5 - chill in Reykjavic

Day 6 - South Shore full day tour

Day 7 - morning flight

The links to my photos appear to have expired but I'm more than happy to send a link / add as a friend if you want to have a look.  I basically did a loop stopping off at various lodges / hotels in a week with a hire car.  It's a wonderful country and I can't wait to go back one day.  

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 22:51, Tayls said:

All of the tours are easy as pie to book as they're often the main attractions.

If not prompted at booking stage then your hotel will be awash with tour brochures to book.

Gray Line tend to be the biggest operator and are good to book with.  You may even want to use them for airport transfers.

I'd recommend Ishestar if you fancy horse riding.

Got back yesterday, had a great time, managed to see the Northern Lights, the evening before we left, I don't think I have ever been more cold in my life! Loved the Golden Circle tour, and went to the Blue Lagoon- we only managed 35 minutes due to our NL excursion but that was fine. We went to another thermal pool in the city on our first night, so had plenty of time in hot water! Went to an amazing fish restaurant called 'Messinn' would highly recommend it! 

• Like 1

Also got back yesterday after spending 6 days in Reykjavic.

51cm of snow in one night meant we were snowed in and tours kept getting cancelled for 4 of the 6 days we were there.

The price of everything is the most expensive i've ever seen - £30 a pizza, £2 can of coke, £15 for soup and bread, £12 for fish and chips, £45 for a bottle of house wine, and the cheapest thing in the whole country was £1.40 to pee in a toilet.

But it was awesome!

23 hours ago, ender4 said:

51cm of snow in one night meant we were snowed in and tours kept getting cancelled for 4 of the 6 days we were there.

I saw the snow on the news. Looked amazing! 

It was mild when I went in December (about 8 degrees)

It is wallet rape though when you pay the bar bill. 

On 01/03/2017 at 21:52, ender4 said:

The price of everything is the most expensive i've ever seen - £30 a pizza, £2 can of coke, £15 for soup and bread, £12 for fish and chips, £45 for a bottle of house wine, and the cheapest thing in the whole country was £1.40 to pee in a toilet.

But it was awesome!

Wow that's put me off 

On 3/1/2017 at 15:52, ender4 said:

But it was awesome!

That is unfortunate. I hate when countries that thrive on tourism attempt to price gouge their tourists. A lot of places in prague do the same, but if you aren't completely lazy, you can avoid the tourist trap restaurants and drinks. I wonder if Iceland is the same? I really want to visit and I plan on going sometime this year or next year.

Does anyone have an idea when is the best time to visit? 

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Wow that's put me off 

it's not a place for a lads weekend away on the pop! 

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

That is unfortunate. I hate when countries that thrive on tourism attempt to price gouge their tourists. A lot of places in prague do the same, but if you aren't completely lazy, you can avoid the tourist trap restaurants and drinks. I wonder if Iceland is the same? I really want to visit and I plan on going sometime this year or next year.

Does anyone have an idea when is the best time to visit? 

To be fair, its the massive drop in the exchange rate that has caused the issues

210 ISK to GBP 2 years ago

180 ISK to GBP 1 year ago

130 ISK to GBP now

A typical pint was 1200 ISK do its gone from under £6 to nearly £10 on the exchange rate alone

it was pricey, now its extreme

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Czechlad said:

It was quite expensive anyway, similar to London prices.

But the Brexit vote dropped our exchange rate by 35%, so a £22 pizza pre-Brexit now costs £30. 

Edited by ender4

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It was quite expensive anyway, similar to London prices.

But the Brexit vote dropped our exchange rate by 35%, so a £22 pizza pre-Brexit now costs £30. 

Might be a better exchange rate in Czech then. I primarily would used my credit card for purchases and carry a little cash. My girlfriend is from Scotland so it's a quick flight to Iceland from there and we've always wanted to go. Hopefully one day we can plan a mini vacation and enjoy iceland. I've read many different ways people say I should explore. I am not sure if I should drive myself around, or just look for fun things to do!

Â