Driving - we're all great at it

chrisp65

3 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Plainly if the cyclist, moped or even skate boarder was ahead of me then I would give them right of way. If they are coming up behind and undercutting,  would give them right of way. But if I was a cyclist I would not undercut a car turning left. Would you guys? 

In the diagram, the car turning right would have to give way to a cyclist overtaking. I can foresee problems with this.

I’m not a cyclist. I don’t enjoy cycling.

So what I would do as a cyclist having no real experience isn’t something I give much thought to. I think if I saw a car up ahead and I suspected that they were going to turn left, either through indicating or slowing down, I’d be wary of that and wouldn’t assert my right of way. It really depends on how close I am to the car in the scenario. If I’m say within a metre of the car (maybe it’s just overtaken me) I wouldn’t want the car to turn until I’m past it.

If I was on the right of the car, and the car was turning right, I would expect right of way. As a driver, I wouldn’t turn right or left until the area is clear of cyclists.

In either scenario I would expect the driver to be fully aware of my presence before turning, as I do that when I’m a driver.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

When everyone has figured out and agreed upon what everyone is meant to be doing in each situation can someone please let me know? 

I already did. Always give way to more vulnerable road users.

20 minutes ago, limpid said:

I already did. Always give way to more vulnerable road users.

But how do you know who is more vulnerable? It can't be that simple. What if the car driver is feeling overwhelmed or the pedestrian is actually a ninja? 

• Haha 1

As a cyclist I think some of these rules are batty under the current circumstances.

A steady stream of dickhead pedestrians wandering into the road with their face in their phone is already a problem here. They're ready to click a pic of your number plate, when you're just trying to free up the snarled up traffic behind.

However this is actually a long term strategy, and people aren't likely to change their driving habits unless the carrot or stick are employed.

Unfortunately people that really need a car, like@chrisp65 and my district nurse partner will be getting the stick, as well as the folk that maybe could use other methods to drop sprogs off or go shopping? It's this second group that need to wise up, and they may have to sit in traffic queues watching e-bikes with trailers (150kg capacity on my friend's bike) whizz by to the supermarket for a couple of years before the penny drops?

What would also help is being able to send your child to the nearest school to home and be confident that they'd be getting a decent education, and that ain't happening under the Tory filth who just want to turn everything into cash calves.

Not everywhere is well suited to bike culture either. The West Coast receiving the prevailing winds and rain of the Atlantic is more problematic than pancake flat Norfolk. Though you could foresee changes in bike design and clothing as the transport culture changes.

It'll also make stacks of cash for councils, I suppose.

150581352_10223883997904521_1388443668724592407_n.jpg.98fff193f5f516a39f0c19a09ed14113.jpg150301507_10223883998944547_6563035604827437817_n.jpg.9474d0d57caeff9a0c78f4734f73fa92.jpg

247630279_10225474585028205_192259239995111927_n.jpg.c9fb32c42af5ae562ec627c6bb84c3b3.jpg144102496_10223744107527349_4119596296950459144_n.jpg.f4d4b96aaf862d12013e88030aae1765.jpg

The change to who has priority doesn't seem like a good idea.

A pedestrian assuming they have the priority seems likely to produce a far more dangerous outcome, than when a vehicle has it.

Poor visibility due to weather or poor lighting conditions, would seem to create hazardous conditions for pedestrians, especially if they are wearing dark clothing.

I think most pedestrians would be happy enough if cycling on the pavement was still shown to be a prosecutable offence.

Even the police ride on the pavement.

I saw quite a few cyclists on the roads today and none of them were riding down the middle of the road. 

Edited by Xela
riding not driving!

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I saw quite a few cyclists on the roads today and none of them were driving down the middle of the road. 

I was out on the bike today and I didn't do it. I usually ride quite aggressively/defensively (whatever you want to call it) and stick out a metre or so from the curb so that drivers have to wait to pass when it's safe (for me). Moving further out though seems overkill and asking for trouble to me. 

The update I'm most curious about is the driving and playing music on your phone one where touching it to change track is called out. How is that any different to changing a CD or radio station? My brother in law was hit whilst tout cycling by someone changing a CD so this one has always stuck out to me. 

Â