Driving - we're all great at it

chrisp65

34 minutes ago, limpid said:

Previously people thought that if a pedestrian steps out 2 feet in front of you, you have to give way. In order to anticipate someone stepping out, you'd have to be moving so slowly that you might as well stop for them anyway. Which is what this change is clarifying.

I’m not sure that’s answered the question 

41 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The new emphasis will work far better when all towns and built up areas are made 20mph

Oh, and when there are a decent number of working average speed cameras in towns.

Bet you stand stand on the corner, high viz on with a Ebay speed camera don't cha. "Look at him, 43.456 in a 40".

3 hours ago, limpid said:

Which question?

The question of whether the difference is that before if a pedestrian was waiting on the side of the road you (the driver) didn’t have to give way, whereas now you do. 

I know you had to give way to pedestrian’s before but was that if they were already crossing the road? 

Or should we have been giving way every time we see a pedestrian waiting to cross the road?

(im not being an arse, I genuinely don’t know the answer)

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The question of whether the difference is that before if a pedestrian was waiting on the side of the road you (the driver) didn’t have to give way, whereas now you do. 

I know you had to give way to pedestrian’s before but was that if they were already crossing the road? 

Or should we have been giving way every time we see a pedestrian waiting to cross the road?

(im not being an arse, I genuinely don’t know the answer)

I think the clue is in the diagram, old system the illustration has the pedestrian with feet on the road, new illustration, feet on the pavement with an apparent intent to cross.

spacer.png 

The problem will be the same as its ever been, some pedestrians won’t look, some drivers have awful reaction times, some drivers are so timid they’ll never get across a busy junction. Also, as mentioned up thread, some drivers will get half way through a turn and stop for a pedestrian, at which point Wayne in his F1 super car behind will be too close and too fast to react properly and will be swerving and beeping and being a general pain whilst thinking it was everyone else’s fault because he’s actually an awesome fast driver just waiting to be talent spotted by Ferrrari.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think the clue is in the diagram, old system the illustration has the pedestrian with feet on the road, new illustration, feet on the pavement with an apparent intent to cross.

spacer.png 

The problem will be the same as its ever been, some pedestrians won’t look, some drivers have awful reaction times, some drivers are so timid they’ll never get across a busy junction. Also, as mentioned up thread, some drivers will get half way through a turn and stop for a pedestrian, at which point Wayne in his F1 super car behind will be too close and too fast to react properly and will be swerving and beeping and being a general pain whilst thinking it was everyone else’s fault because he’s actually an awesome fast driver just waiting to be talent spotted by Ferrrari.

So referring back to my earlier question, where is an acceptable crossing point for a pedestrian. Or rather, what’s the furthest away a pedestrian could stand from the junction and still reasonably expect a right of way? 

I’m not expecting there is a definitive answer to that, I guess to my mind I’m flagging another grey area which could create problems. The examples above are probably typical positions where right of way is a given.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

So referring back to my earlier question, where is an acceptable crossing point for a pedestrian. Or rather, what’s the furthest away a pedestrian could stand from the junction and still reasonably expect a right of way? 

I’m not expecting there is a definitive answer to that, I guess to my mind I’m flagging another grey area which could create problems. The examples above are probably typical positions where right of way is a given.

My guess would be its down to a clear intent.

If I’m marching purposefully towards the road then you can do that mental maths and you know if we are likely to clash.

If I’m sort of a metre from the junction and not obviously doing anything very much, then that same mental maths comes up as a miss.

Absolute guesswork on my part.

• Like 2

People hate the motorist they really do. I'm a keen cyclist, but as if they should let a cyclist cycle in the middle of the road taking priority, blocking off a car, this is just ridiculous. It's bad enough when people cycle side by side having a banter.

37 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

People hate the motorist they really do. I'm a keen cyclist, but as if they should let a cyclist cycle in the middle of the road taking priority, blocking off a car, this is just ridiculous. It's bad enough when people cycle side by side having a banter.

Middle of the lane. As a person that **** despises cyclists. I am ok with cyclists in the middle of the lane, easier to shoot. 

• Haha 2

Just remember how chilled town centres were when we were mid lockdown.

How lovely it was to walk down the street and cross the road.

Cafe culture with tables n chairs out in the road.

The calm.

We can have that back.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Am I reading the graphic right? The cyclist has right of way when a car is turning left or right?

If so, I predict an increase in cyclist deaths.

I mean, to be strictly within the rules, you shouldn’t have been wiping out cyclists by turning without looking even before the tweek.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Am I reading the graphic right? The cyclist has right of way when a car is turning left or right?

If so, I predict an increase in cyclist deaths.

Would you cut across a moped? Of course a cyclist alongside your car has right of way before you turn.

10 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Would you cut across a moped? Of course a cyclist alongside your car has right of way before you turn.

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah allowing the cyclists carry on before turning left I had assumed was already common practice, but maybe the rule wasn’t sufficiently clear? 

Plainly if the cyclist, moped or even skate boarder was ahead of me then I would give them right of way. If they are coming up behind and undercutting,  would give them right of way. But if I was a cyclist I would not undercut a car turning left. Would you guys? 

In the diagram, the car turning right would have to give way to a cyclist overtaking. I can foresee problems with this.

9 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Plainly if the cyclist, moped or even skate boarder was ahead of me then I would give them right of way. If they are coming up behind and undercutting,  would give them right of way. But if I was a cyclist I would not undercut a car turning left. Would you guys? 

In the diagram, the car turning right would have to give way to a cyclist overtaking. I can foresee problems with this.

But again, hopefully you’d be using mirrors before changing direction specifically because of other road users like cyclists and motorbikes?

I mean, all road users should be careful of all other road users. Car drivers should presume cyclists are suicidal idiots and cyclists should always presume car drivers are self obsessed murderers.

If you want to turn right, check the mirror, if there’s a bike / motorbike coming up the outside, don’t pull across it’s path. 

Â