Driving - we're all great at it

chrisp65

So really just to drag the current driving debate out of other threads such as the gifs.

Anyway, I'd estimate that I undertake somebody on the motorway most days of most weeks. Especially as you get closer to London because once you're past about Reading everyone is so self obsessed they don't realise that all heading straight for the outside lane isn't actually the fastest way to get where you're going.

M25, tuck in to lane 1 or 2 and cruise past all the cockneys tailgating each other in lanes 3 and 4 in their little A3's.

• Like 1

I'd condone undertaking if somebody is lane hogging.

I don't condone it if it's a line of traffic all overtaking another slow moving vehicle though.

So if there's a lorry inside lane, car overtaking it in the middle (but still going slowly), and then a queue of people overtaking that car in the outside lane, it's not ok to undertake that queue and then cut in somewhere near the front.

Imo of course.

• Like 1

once you're past about Reading everyone is so self obsessed they don't realise that all heading straight for the outside lane isn't actually the fastest way to get where you're going.

The Coen brothers made a film about that.
  • Like 2

I don't condone it if it's a line of traffic all overtaking another slow moving vehicle though.

So if there's a lorry inside lane, car overtaking it in the middle (but still going slowly), and then a queue of people overtaking that car in the outside lane, it's not ok to undertake that queue and then cut in somewhere near the front.

Imo of course.

ever tried to get past Reading at 7:30am?

you can sit in the outside lane, going from stop to 5 mph to stop

or you can cruise down the inside lane for 5 or 10 miles doing 57mph, popping into the  middle lane just as you get to the junction

shaves roughly 40 minutes off the commute every single day - the only thing that amazes me, is the good citizens of Reading that haven't worked it out for themselves, they all pop onto the motorway and pathologically try to get straight out to the 'fast' lane where all the other minis and audis are. Whilst the lorries and me trundle along, listening to a bit of dub in the inner lanes.

every day of every week

if people want to park up in the outside lane to take time to check their texts and touch up their lipstick, I shouldn't be forced to join them when there are two perfectly good inner lanes moving much faster

• Like 1

if people want to park up in the outside lane to take time to check their texts and touch up their lipstick, I shouldn't be forced to join them when there are two perfectly good inner lanes moving much faster

Used to be pretty much when I had to commute to Maidenhead from up here.

It was also like that on the M1 between Milton Keynes and Luton - I never ventured in to the outside lane (and only rarely in to the middle lane) after the first week of going up and down that section. It cut down a forty-five minute drive to just under thirty minutes.

This was a few years back but having been up and down the M1 a couple of times last year things seemed no different.

Edited by snowychap

I'm on the side that thinks sticking to the speed limit in the fast lane with people wanting to overtake you is cretinous.

New South Wales drivers are terrible for this kind of thing. It's simple: drive in the left-most lane that you need to drive in to maintain your speed. The fact that nobody seems to get that in NSW...well, it doesn't make me angry, just...disappointed.

• Like 1

I'm on the side that thinks sticking to the speed limit in the fast lane with people wanting to overtake you is cretinous.

New South Wales drivers are terrible for this kind of thing. It's simple: drive in the left-most lane that you need to drive in to maintain your speed. The fact that nobody seems to get that in NSW...well, it doesn't make me angry, just...disappointed.

off_roading_in_the_crichton_australian_o

couldn't you just go around him?

( I loves a stereotype, me )

• Like 4

Imo of course.

ever tried to get past Reading at 7:30am?

you can sit in the outside lane, going from stop to 5 mph to stop

or you can cruise down the inside lane for 5 or 10 miles doing 57mph, popping into the  middle lane just as you get to the junction

shaves roughly 40 minutes off the commute every single day - the only thing that amazes me, is the good citizens of Reading that haven't worked it out for themselves, they all pop onto the motorway and pathologically try to get straight out to the 'fast' lane where all the other minis and audis are. Whilst the lorries and me trundle along, listening to a bit of dub in the inner lanes.

every day of every week

It's a bit of a grey area.

As someone said, if the outside lane is stationary then it's not undertaking.

But like I said, if they're all queuing because there's a car in the middle lane doing 60 and they're all trying to pass him then I'd say it's wrong to undertake them all.

BUt this is exactly why, to bring in the other debate, lane hogging clogs up the motorway. Scenarios exactly like this.

A friend of mine is the absolute worst driver on the planet. He wouldn't indicate on roundabouts and speeds all the time. Being in his car is annoying enough, but it's just as bad if there's a few of us going somewhere together and he's one of the drivers and you're in the other car. On a motorway he'll go in the fast lane and stay going the same speed as the car in the left lane, thinking he's being a funny **** trying to put off the driver. He'll, at maximum, be about 1 car length away from the driver in front.

What possesses people to be like this? Being a bit of a dick in person is one thing, but being like that when you're endangering others is just ridiculous.

A friend of mine is the absolute worst driver on the planet. He wouldn't indicate on roundabouts and speeds all the time. Being in his car is annoying enough, but it's just as bad if there's a few of us going somewhere together and he's one of the drivers and you're in the other car. On a motorway he'll go in the fast lane and stay going the same speed as the car in the left lane, thinking he's being a funny **** trying to put off the driver. He'll, at maximum, be about 1 car length away from the driver in front.

What possesses people to be like this? Being a bit of a dick in person is one thing, but being like that when you're endangering others is just ridiculous.

Audi driver is he?

;)

• Like 1

i had a driver behind me the other night flashing his lights and calling me a rocket polisher because i over took him, he was one of those clearings in the woods who drove at 40mph through 30mph blakedown and then stayed at 40mph in the national speed limit bit, so i put my car in sport mode and flew past him on the nanny state lines (the ones where it used to be 2 lanes but some dickhead crashed doing 120mph so now its one lane and no go lines everywhere) he soon sped up and gave me some grief

he was in a kevved up golf gti i was in my abarth, i get far more grief because of the abarth than i got in the audi, quite often where i'll come off a roundabout, accelerate because i can, then try and pull in only for the car i've just overtaken to speed up on purpose so that i cant, i've had it where i've gone to overtake someone, citreon picasso or something daft, again because my car can accelerate quicker, as i've come off a roundabout in to 2 lanes, 100 yards before it goes to one lane, they've pulled across in to both lanes so that i cant overtake! people obviously dont like quick little cars

Took the kids to the seaside today and the drive back was single lane for about 20 miles with nowhere to overtake

When it was 30 the car in front did 28 , when it was 40 they did 37 and when it was 50 they did 45

Yeah I should have more patience but **** me they pissed me off

If you can't drive a car safely at 50 through a 30 zone you shouldn't be allowed on the road ... Simples

• Like 3

I drive from Junction 13 to 9, Staines - Leatherhead, everyday and I'd have to agree with chrisp65 about the outside lane and drivers in mass bombing to the outside. It really is a free for all and I'm not surprised there are always crashes/barrier repairs/police etc. 

I therefore get up very early for the work run and miss the peak of 5-6pm as a result as I feel much safer. I obey speed limits and all the rest of the rules as much as my surroundings allow me to but sadly the surroundings are not so ideal when considering the M25 and to be honest when in slow traffic, the slower lanes are usually much quicker and more manageable.  

Edited by knoppy1987

So really just to drag the current driving debate out of other threads such as the gifs.

Anyway, I'd estimate that I undertake somebody on the motorway most days of most weeks. Especially as you get closer to London because once you're past about Reading everyone is so self obsessed they don't realise that all heading straight for the outside lane isn't actually the fastest way to get where you're going.

M25, tuck in to lane 1 or 2 and cruise past all the cockneys tailgating each other in lanes 3 and 4 in their little A3's.

lanes 1 and 2 on the m25 are reserved for lorry drivers abiding by the lorry code that clearly states you have to match speeds and leave a 4 inch gap between you and the lorry in front whilst one of you pulls out to lane 2 and drives exactly 1 mph faster than the rest of you ... Factor in white van man in his turbo charged Ferrari beater hogging lanes 3 and 4 and your better off driving the A roads

5 miles of tailbacks from the a3 junction to my junction as I came home tonight ... Sat nav eta 18:00 ... Cut off at Wisely and home by 17:30

So long suckers ...

I once saw a white van man driving along with a phone in each hand.

saw a variation on this earlier today, a guy with his mobile in one hand (using it 'apprentice style'*) whilst holding his sat nav in the other - utterly stupid and selfish

* this alone, even if he was a pedestrian should allow people to side swipe him

when a hands free kit is a tenner, why do people with a £15k car, £300 insurance and enough money for a smart phone not invest a tenner in a hands free ear piece if they must talk whilst driving?

• Like 1

Â