ChromeCast

limpid

SKygo - people pay them whatever it is, a fiver a month, to watch the telly on the tablet or phone or computer - it's an additional source of revenue, not a replacement, I'd guess.

multi-room - in  your house only. SkyGo - anywhere with a wi-fi or 4G signal. Different things

Like stevo said, SkyGo is free if you have a subscription. They've already separated delivery of programming from their boxes. It's only logical that they continue in the same vein by allowing casting. If the BBC can do it for content they broadcast, so can Sky. There's nothing forcing Sky to do this, but I don't understand them allowing tablets and phones but not casting.

Logically you are right after all you can watch Skygo on your tv through a pc or xbox360, however when it comes to mobile they doing all hey can to ensure it stays on your mobile screen and no further

Well, I got one. Works fine. 

Not from my laptop, which I already knew was crap for video performance, but from my phone it's perfect. 

All I've done so far is YouTube and BBC iPlayer streaming, but it's well worth the money for that alone. 

My only gripe is that once having been casting, my TV won't respond to the 'source' button on the remote, so to get back to regular TV I have to unplug the Chromecast. 

Not from my laptop, which I already knew was crap for video performance, but from my phone it's perfect.

All I've done so far is YouTube and BBC iPlayer streaming, but it's well worth the money for that alone.

My only gripe is that once having been casting, my TV won't respond to the 'source' button on the remote, so to get back to regular TV I have to unplug the Chromecast.

Your laptop speed and power is nothing to do with the casting. Any controller such as your phone or a computer simply directs the Chromecast to a different source of the video.
  • Like 1

Your laptop speed and power is nothing to do with the casting. Any controller such as your phone or a computer simply directs the Chromecast to a different source of the video.

Huh? I run a YouTube clip on the laptop, and it's jerky. I cast it to the TV and it's still jerky. 

I run the same clip on my phone and it's smooth. I cast it to the TV and it's still smooth. 

No, used the Chromecast button. 

I have also tried casting a tab - on the crappy match stream of the crappy match yesterday, I soon regretted that. 

Fixed the problem with the remote. Although the 'source' button is disabled, the EPG button isn't, and takes you back to TV without unplugging the Chromecast. 

Been using it a lot for iPlayer and YouTube. Thirty quid well spent. 

• Like 1

My neighbour lent me his...and its very good. Can't see that I'd buy one because all I really need it for is to stream YouTube thus circumventing the horrible TiVo app.

It's much better than watching vids on my N7, but I'm not convinced it's £30 better.

• 2 weeks later...
Â