ChromeCast

limpid

Ah maybe that's it. You're on sky and I'm on Virgin though, unless the general internet is ballsed up by us

:lol:

maybe! 

I think all of our area use BT fibre though, so essentially, it's the same internet (although yours is faster than mine).

I thought Virgin used their own cables throughout the UK rather than BT lines?

Will definitely be investing in one of these now that that screen mirroring app exists. Just what I wanted.

To clarify, does this mean if I'm watching something on my phone I can mirror it on my TV, even if it's a personal video (i.e. not YouTube or anything like that)?

• Like 1

I bought a second one for downstairs yesterday, it works on a higher quality than the upstairs one. However, it still froze a bit when watching something on the highest quality. Maybe I have a poor Internet connection speed (which is odd, as my wifi on my tablet and phone is always showing full signal).

The WiFi signal indicator only shows the connection quality to the WiFi base station (which is almost certainly your router). It's only going to affect your internet speed if it's slower than your upstream internet connection (highly unlikely) or if the connection is so marginal that resending packets is eating your bandwidth.

• Like 1

Will definitely be investing in one of these now that that screen mirroring app exists. Just what I wanted.

To clarify, does this mean if I'm watching something on my phone I can mirror it on my TV, even if it's a personal video (i.e. not YouTube or anything like that)?

Yes. Some things can decide not to allow you to broadcast the video though. But it's great for casting, say, your camera view to the large screen, if you so wanted to display anything you're pointing it at on the large screen..

That's what o was interested in. So if I had a personal video on my phone I could play it on the TV.

Gonna buy one and see how I get on

Alternatively you can do that on iOS with a free app called Photo Cast.

using a Chromecast?

• 2 months later...

Mine was so good that I bought a second! One in the living room and one in my bedroom. I downloaded 'Localcast' because Allcast seemed to want me to log into a laptop, IIRC.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got mine, couple of problems I'm having..

Tried playing a mkv movie in Chrome but it wasn't a smooth experience and it didn't have any sound. Now the sound can be easily fixed I imagine, but I thought the movies would play perfectly quality wise. Is there another app I need to get which does things better?

Mine was delivered last week but I haven't had time to get it out of the box yet, going to set it up tomorrow. I imagine I'll be 'casting' mainly from my laptop as I don't have a tablet and not sure how much memory the apps will take up on my phone. Looking forward to messing around with it but we also just got a sky tv box (family package), is it any better to cast iplayer etc than to just use the on demand service on the telly?

Â