Barca transfer ban

Avfc96

Is this transfer ban legal? 

Can't buy players - that is straightforward.

But what is the legal situation if a player wants to leave the club to receive a higher wage and play more football?

A youth player, perhaps. That striker that Villa was apparently interested in!

Surely he has a right under European employment law to leave and cannot be prevented from leaving by Fifa.

Does the ruling actually not prevent a player leaving, but that if a player does leave Barca cannot receive a transfer fee?

I assume Barcelona can employ players and pay them a salary tomorrow if they want. They just can't register them as players until the ban has ended or they have won their appeal.  FC Sion tried to take FIFA and UEFA to court over the same issue a couple of years ago and they lost. Of course they are FC Sion and not Barcelona (or Chelsea...) so they can't stamp their feet as loudly and nobody really cared back then. I still think Barcelona will have a successful appeal. 

Barcelona have been running a pretty rotten ship for a while, for example with their record of very dodgy tax dealings, so I have little sympathy for them, but I do wonder in general about this rule.

They have been fined and had a transfer ban imposed because they have brought under-18s to the club from overseas. This is only allowed for European clubs by FIFA if: a) the youngsters live within the EU area; b ) their parents are migrating to the place of the club anyway for non-footballing reasons; or, c) if outside the EU, they live within 100km of the club.

FIFA say they have this rule in order to "protect the best interests of young players, even if an international transfer might be beneficial to their football careers."

I sense the dead hand of bureaucracy here. I wonder if strict enforcement of this rule might actually harm the interests of some youngsters whose only ambition is to play football, have a lot of talent, and are losing the opportunity to move to a top club because they live 101 km away from it, or don't meet one of the other criteria

Seems to me a case by case approach would make more sense.

Edited by briny_ear

Watch as a load of Brazilians are drafted in as full time stewards at leading clubs across Europe now, before it amazingly comes to light after they've been hired that their kids are decent footballers

I assume Barcelona can employ players and pay them a salary tomorrow if they want. They just can't register them as players until the ban has ended or they have won their appeal.  FC Sion tried to take FIFA and UEFA to court over the same issue a couple of years ago and they lost. Of course they are FC Sion and not Barcelona (or Chelsea...) so they can't stamp their feet as loudly and nobody really cared back then. I still think Barcelona will have a successful appeal. 

they tried their best in fairness. I remember they gave Celtic a beating and then were kicked out and the owner who is a bit crazy even tried bring the team to the stadium of their 1st group game

I can't understand how they can be banned from selling players..

With Valdes leaving, I hope they have a couple of injuries to goalkeepers and defenders next season. But they'll probably get out of it. Or find a loop hole.. they'll be allowed to make loans or something and they'll just loan a player for 14 months, with an option to buy at the end of the loan..

Â