Unless you have the dough...

Mic09

All I'm going to say regarding clubs like villa is that if man city can go on to be taken over and win the league etc then its possible it could happen to us.

No it isn't, FFP has pulled the draw bridge up and closed the shop.

Why?  I thought the whole point is that City's owners are side stepping it with dodgy sponsorship etc, which one would assume would happen if a similar situation arose at Villa.

Huge respect for everton how they are competing with the money clubs

with 3 players on loan from 3 of the biggest money clubs...

no offence, dont get me wrong i like everton, but this "arent everton doing brilliant" thing gets on my tits, the never spend any money, have all these players coming from the academy, always right up there, mentality that neutral fans seem to have of them is a bit of a myth to me, they do spend money, they have a few but not that many from the academy, and my idea of "right up there" seems to be different, perennial bridesmaids...

said it with liverpool challenging for the league the old isnt the prem great routine starts up again, id probably argue everton finishing 4th would be the same, i think in the long run it wouldnt be that good a thing, it is broke and it needs fixing... everton finishing 4th would paper over some of the cracks

• Like 1

That bubble at everton will burst soon enough, already wrote off the money owed to them this season from the pl and have already agreed to use next seasons cash to pay off there overdraft.

Everton won't get lucky with a striker the standard of Lukaku to come in on loan and bang in 15 goals for them next season. They'd have to spend 15m to find someone, which they haven't got unless they weaken their team in other areas and sell Baines or Barkley. It's only a matter of time before they drop down into mid-table.

Gareth Barry will sign for Everton full time at the end of the season so that's one loan taken care of.

Yeah Lukaku will be a miss but Everton were always top 7 during Moyes's last few years and they didn't have a decent striker then. Big thing is their midfielders like Osman. Barkley and Pienaar chip in with goals as do Baines and Coleman.

Who's the third loan you speak of? The Barca kid? He's been in and out really, scored some nice goals but never really been a regular starter so wouldn't say he's been a huge component in their season.

Everton has been fairly consistent ever since the years they fought Villa for 5th, don't think they'll drop to much next season.
Maybe they're peaking a bit at the moment, but I think they'll remain competiive - they run the club too well to drop.

Martinez is a great manager, they'll lose some players most likely, but replacmenst will come in as well.
No reason for them not to get new players on loan, bet Barcelona is happy with Deulofeu's experience this season. Can see them sending more players Everton's way.

Think barca are meant to be happy with the loan arrangement though and might send more there, dongou for example

Not sure why any of us would want Everton getting CL, both in terms of stature and cash that'd be them pulling well away from us

Martinez made a great call at the start of the year. It's easy to forget Everton started with three underwhelming draws v Norwich, WBA and Cardiff (actulally in those three games we gained 7 points). I imagine he couldn't believe his luck when Man. United turned up with 27m for such a limited midfielder like Fellani but still he needed to be replaced. Now Martinez could've gone out and maybe got a similar player like Diame who did well for him at Wigan.

Instead he decided he wanted Everton to play more football in the middle and be less physical so he promoted Barkley and signed Barry and McCarthy combined to replace Fellani and get some more finesse in there.

That's a good lesson for us as in the last few seasons we've had the tendency when we've lost a key player to desperately try to find an identical replica and when that version has been poorer we've plummeted.

Say with Benteke's absence now, you just know Lambert will go out and get in another 6ft 2 + powerhouse upfront. It's just what he wants upfront. How good would it be though if he could sign two quick attacking midfielders who drift into space all the time and demand the ball and want to unlock packed defences, then we would have a revolution in our football.

• Like 1

Not sure why any of us would want Everton getting CL, both in terms of stature and cash that'd be them pulling well away from us

One season doesn't matter much, Everton would have to be in CL every year to build the club into something Villa can't potentially match.

Villa aren't going to compete with Everton the coming 2-3 seasons anyway.

Just be happy for them if they get there, unlike other clubs they at least deserve it, and see it as motivation for what Villa as well could achieve against the giants and the doped clubs out there.

Edited by rosenthal

Martinez made a great call at the start of the year. It's easy to forget Everton started with three underwhelming draws v Norwich, WBA and Cardiff (actulally in those three games we gained 7 points). I imagine he couldn't believe his luck when Man. United turned up with 27m for such a limited midfielder like Fellani but still he needed to be replaced. Now Martinez could've gone out and maybe got a similar player like Diame who did well for him at Wigan.

Instead he decided he wanted Everton to play more football in the middle and be less physical so he promoted Barkley and signed Barry and McCarthy combined to replace Fellani and get some more finesse in there.

That's a good lesson for us as in the last few seasons we've had the tendency when we've lost a key player to desperately try to find an identical replica and when that version has been poorer we've plummeted.

Say with Benteke's absence now, you just know Lambert will go out and get in another 6ft 2 + powerhouse upfront. It's just what he wants upfront. How good would it be though if he could sign two quick attacking midfielders who drift into space all the time and demand the ball and want to unlock packed defences, then we would have a revolution in our football.

Lambert signed benteke to replace bent and alter the style, after seeing that bent was really limited the first couple of games. Obviously Martinez signed his type of player to replace fellaini, lambert also did that his first summer, getting in players like vlaar to replace Collins that fit his style better. Martinez brought in players that fit his style, as did lambert. Martinez had a lot more money though.

O.k. To me it just all boils down to the infuriating lack of creativity we just have through midfield and we really lack a striker who can drop deep and link with the midfield (I don't count Weimann's headless chicken runs).

O.k. To me it just all boils down to the infuriating lack of creativity we just have through midfield and we really lack a striker who can drop deep and link with the midfield (I don't count Weimann's headless chicken runs).

Oh yeah for sure the midfield is a huge issue, but creative players cost a premium. McCarthy was £12m, Barry is on huge wages, and Barkley has been a very highly rated academy player. It generally takes more money to solve.

One season doesn't matter much, Everton would have to be in CL every year to build the club into something Villa can't potentially match.

Villa aren't going to compete with Everton the coming 2-3 seasons anyway.

Just be happy for them if they get there, unlike other clubs they at least deserve it, and see it as motivation for what Villa as well could achieve against the giants and the doped clubs out there.

This

Â