Pubs

wedge

If you get there before Christmas (it's further than the flippin' moon is), then the pubs are mainly Wetherspoons type places that let in away fans.

If I remember right, there's one station quite near, and one a bit of a trek away.

tbh, IMO, the place is a horrible dump - both the ground, the gloomy and crusty away stand and the area round the place (Croydon).

If I was to go back, I'd have a pint more centrally, then go on the local train to Selhurst.

I think I'll be on the train to Euston, then maybe have a few around King's Cross early doors, as that seems to be the norm when we play in London, then get the tube to Victoria to get the train to the ground.

The Football Ground Guide (http://www.footballgroundguide.com/crystal_palace/index.htm) says:

"Opposite Thornton Heath Railway Station there is a Wetherspoon pub, called the 'The Flora Sandes' which is popular with both home and away supporters. Also close by is 'The Railway Telegraph' on Brigstock (as you come out of Thornton Heath station turn right and the pub is further down on the left). This pub serves Youngs beers and is quite spacious. It is then about a 15 minute walk from here to the ground (as you  come out of the pubs turn right and follow the other fans). There are plenty of Kebab & Chip shops available on the route to the ground.

Otherwise near Norwood Junction Railway Station on the High Street is another Wetherspoon outlet called 'The William Stanley' (From the Station turn right at the Clock Tower into the High Street). The nearby 'Ship' pub on the High Street has also been recommended to me. Generally beer and lager are served inside the ground. Please note though that for certain high profile games, the Club choose not to serve alcohol to away supporters."

i'm surprised not to see the prince george, thornton heath mentioned anywhere. that was full of villa when we played there in the fa cup a few years back. only a short walk from the away end.

think i'm getting a tube down to victoria from kings cross/st.pancras, then the train from victoria to thornton heath. although if the plan is to drink around norwood i'll go london bridge, then norwood junction instead. 

From @WMPVillaFC Twitter:

#avfc #utv Pubs 4 Crystal Palace: Thornton Heath big Witherspoon's, Railway Telegraph, Prince George and Thomas Farley r the only away pubs

#avfc #utv Advice is for away fans to stick to the pubs in Thornton Heath only 10 minute walk from ground

#avfc #utv There is also a Witherspoon's @ South Norwood which accepts away fans but gets busy really early, from 1pm usually its 1 in 1 out

Obviously you don't have to take a spelling and grammar test to become a West Midlands copper anymore.

• Like 1

Â