Are We Alone ?

smetrov

I won't say there's ever been contact made by aliens as I don't believe there have been, but I read something quite interesting on the subject a few days ago. Apparently there's an old tribe in Africa that worships Sirius, the brightest star in our galaxy and the brightest star we can see, if I'm not totally ill informed. Anyway, that tribe has known for thousands of years that Sirius has a follower, something that was discovered quite recently and according to that book can't be seen without any help. It was a book about mysteries but it wasn't the kind of book that tried to make everything seem real but tried to explain things when it could be by the authors. They couldn't explain this. But there's always the chance that they are wrong about it all, of course. Just found it kind of interesting. When it comes to contact I'm the kind that more want to believe than really do believe. The people is called Dogon and lives in Mali and Burkina Faso.

When it comes to the main subject I don't think we're alone. I doubt we're alone in this galaxy.

Where we talk about life on other planets we really have to determine what constitutes life.  If we are talking about its literal meaning (capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death) then I doubt whether we are alone in our solar system TBH.

One of Saturns moons Titan and Europa (Jupiter) have all the hall marks of being able to contain life of some sort.

If these conditions can be found on our doorstep what are the odds in this being replicated time and time again across the galaxy, never mind the universe?

I won't say there's ever been contact made by aliens as I don't believe there have been, but I read something quite interesting on the subject a few days ago. Apparently there's an old tribe in Africa that worships Sirius, the brightest star in our galaxy and the brightest star we can see, if I'm not totally ill informed. Anyway, that tribe has known for thousands of years that Sirius has a follower, something that was discovered quite recently and according to that book can't be seen without any help. It was a book about mysteries but it wasn't the kind of book that tried to make everything seem real but tried to explain things when it could be by the authors. They couldn't explain this. But there's always the chance that they are wrong about it all, of course. Just found it kind of interesting. When it comes to contact I'm the kind that more want to believe than really do believe. The people is called Dogon and lives in Mali and Burkina Faso.

When it comes to the main subject I don't think we're alone. I doubt we're alone in this galaxy.

I've got a book called The Orion Mystery by Robert Bauval and Adrian Gilbert that mentions this very thing. Apparently we know the Dogon had information regarding Sirius B in the Fifties yet it's only photographed in the Seventies and even then very faintly, I think the argument is that the knowledge somehow goes back the ancient Egyptians and might even be linked to the Pyramids, I don't know maybe they had some really advance mathamatics back then.

It might have only been photographed in the 50's but it was first written about in 1844 and first spotted in 1862 while the French were in the area as early as 1893.

So its more than likely a case of cross cultural contamination resulting in distorted histories and things being added to older stories within the Dogon culture.

A little like the bible was 'tailored' over a prolonged period of time.

• Like 1

To accelerate an object weighing one kilogram to anywhere near the speed of light takes roughly as much energy as the United States consumes in one day.

So if we do discover intelligent extra-terrestrial life, it's not going to happen on our own initiative, at least until every one of us has been pushing up daisies for a few decades.

It also means that if intelligent extra-terrestrial life finds us, it will probably be so far advanced that we'll hardly recognise it as life. Already people on earth are designing DNA, and we've got nowhere near being able to travel at light speed, so whoever or whatever finds us is going to be pretty freaky. We'll be lucky if they don't want to eat us. Least bad scenario might be that all they're interested in is anal probing - how bad can that be really?. 

• Like 1

The book I've got is in no way trying to argue that this information came from aliens or anything I think the main argument is that the Great Pyramids were built in correlation with the three middle stars in orion.

There's a wiki page here that has some critisisms of the theory.

Life is one thing but intelligent life is another. Think of how many billions of species Earth has churned out before intelligent life arrived.

True. There surely must be another pocket of the galaxy where intelligent life could thrive though. I've always wondered whether there'd be intelligent life on earth if the dinosaurs hadnt been wiped out. I guess velociraptors could open doors so they may have been able to build spaceships one day.

Edited by sharkyvilla

Life is one thing but intelligent life is another. Think of how many billions of species Earth has churned out before intelligent life arrived.

True. There surely must be another pocket of the galaxy where intelligent life could thrive though. I've always wondered whether there'd be intelligent life on earth if the dinosaurs hadnt been wiped out. I guess velociraptors could open doors so they may have been able to build spaceships one day.

Well if they could open doors they must have been able to build them so there's a start ;)

To accelerate an object weighing one kilogram to anywhere near the speed of light takes roughly as much energy as the United States consumes in one day.

So if we do discover intelligent extra-terrestrial life, it's not going to happen on our own initiative, at least until every one of us has been pushing up daisies for a few decades.

It also means that if intelligent extra-terrestrial life finds us, it will probably be so far advanced that we'll hardly recognise it as life. Already people on earth are designing DNA, and we've got nowhere near being able to travel at light speed, so whoever or whatever finds us is going to be pretty freaky. We'll be lucky if they don't want to eat us. Least bad scenario might be that all they're interested in is anal probing - how bad can that be really?. 

I agree with most of this, but we/they would not need to travel anywhere near light speed to travel interstellar.

True, but I don't think there are that many stars within say 20 light years of us.

Edit: Hmm. 53 within 16.2 light years.

Still, that's 60 years to get there and back at half light speed if we leave tomorrow.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

The book I've got is in no way trying to argue that this information came from aliens or anything I think the main argument is that the Great Pyramids were built in correlation with the three middle stars in orion.

There's a wiki page here that has some critisisms of the theory.

I'm not sure what's mysterious about that. You can look up and see those stars most nights. Copying that pattern to place the pyramids doesn't involve aliens. As aliens would come from elsewhere, then Orion's belt would be meaningless to them as it only looks that way from where we observe it. If anything, if they are laid out like Orion's belt, then they cannot have been placed by aliens.

According to the Khan Academy video I watched the once Voyager 1 goes at 38 000 MPH and it would take that around 80 000 years to reach our nearest star. So I doubt we are going to be visiting other solar systems anytime soon.

Because if somehow NASA get their arses into gear and load up a space ship with some new-fangled tech and launch it next week, that's about the furthest the star can be in order to report any useful information in our lifetimes.

But if the aliens launched 100,000 years ago at 1% of light speed they might have travelled 1,000 light years already. I don't see where our lifetimes come into it. The aliens might arrive tomorrow. That we can't conceive of travelling for that long is a reflection on our abilities, not theirs.

Of course if they set out 66m years ago, they might be gutted that we aren't dinosaurs when they get here.

• Like 1

Â