League of Nations

MrDuck

I like the idea. Adds more meaning to friendlies, and gives managers the chance to bleed younger players under more competitive conditions.

Edited by maqroll

What about Manchester United supporters?

They would agree with chappy.

"Why should I support my local team just because I was born here. I didn't choose to be born in this city"

Going way off topic sorry mods but I was born and raised in Sheffield and have never lived in Birmingham? Should probably support Wednesday or United...

I don't think anyone should have to support their local team.

I think you should support your local team unless you have a good reason not to e.g. family.

People supporting their local team actually makes football more competitive.

Imagine if everyone in the country supported Man U.

Football would be dead.

I think that's flawed on two counts:

Firstly, if I live in Bromsgrove does that mean that I have to support Bromsgrove? Or can I move my vote to a bigger club? How big or small would a club need to be to allow me to move to the next biggest, do I get to dodge Bromsgrove but then get stuck with West Brom, or Wallsall or whoever?

Secondly, if supporters have to support locally, then players have to play locally. Tekkers shouldn't even be in the country - or he should be limiting himself to some south east dock town, Dover, Felixstowe, Sheerness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to a game this afternoon that's walking distance from my house. But for others, they'll be jumping in their cars driving past that ground and heading up the M5 

I like the idea. Adds more meaning to friendlies, and gives managers the chance to bleed younger players under more competitive conditions.

I think this is a bit of a fallacy. It may mean more to tin pot clubs who now have a more realistic chance to qualify for the Euros, but to the bigger teams, who are pretty much guaranteed a spot at the Euros, this will mean little and will be treated by the players like friendlies are.

I think this is a bit of a fallacy. It may mean more to tin pot clubs who now have a more realistic chance to qualify for the Euros, but to the bigger teams, who are pretty much guaranteed a spot at the Euros, this will mean little and will be treated by the players like friendlies are.

I don't know, it's another trophy to win, I'd expect it to end up being taken pretty seriously. You think only 'tin pot'  clubs (countries? ) will take it seriously?  It'll have been over 50 years since England have won a trophy, it'll be the most serious thing in the world if we manage to win it.

lol it's a trophy with no prestige or relevance, it will be about as serious as the confed. cup.

I think that's the point of it though.

Its not meant to be another European championships or world cup level of tournament.

Its just meant to add a competitive nature to otherwise meaningless friendlies.

I see it more like a pre season friendly tournament that clubs have. Yes ultimately its not hugely meaningful but I'll just add that element of competition to make pointless friendlies slightly less pointless.

And like I've been saying for ages, it'll benefit the smaller nations massively IMO. Not just from the chance of qualifying for tournaments but also in so much as they'll be playing competitive games against teams they might actually have a chance to beat.

I've said before but who benefits from Germany going to San Marino and hammering them 14-0?

Might generate a bit of money for their FA but I think in the long run this will be much better for them

Edited by Stevo985

Predicted this years ago. With the expansion of the Euros essentially making it impossible for countries outside the ones that could also mount World Cup bids, I think it's a matter of time before this replaces both the Euros and World Cup qualifying.

Â