League of Nations

MrDuck

Why not? Many people find international football totally insignificant and choose to focus on club football. It's their choice.

That's fine but they would never have taken an interest in the first place.

It's the people who say "I don't give a toss about England anymore" that I'm talking about.

But KHV didn't say 'anymore'. He just said he has no interest in watching England because they are 'shite'.

Implying that he would have an interest in watching if we weren't 'shite' i.e. he takes more or less of an interest depending on how good we are.

What about Manchester United supporters?

They would agree with chappy.

"Why should I support my local team just because I was born here. I didn't choose to be born in this city"

Going way off topic sorry mods but I was born and raised in Sheffield and have never lived in Birmingham? Should probably support Wednesday or United...

I don't think anyone should have to support their local team.

What about Manchester United supporters?

They would agree with chappy.

"Why should I support my local team just because I was born here. I didn't choose to be born in this city"

Going way off topic sorry mods but I was born and raised in Sheffield and have never lived in Birmingham? Should probably support Wednesday or United...

I don't think anyone should have to support their local team.

I think you should support your local team unless you have a good reason not to e.g. family.

People supporting their local team actually makes football more competitive.

Imagine if everyone in the country supported Man U.

Football would be dead.

I think you have to be a bit of a mark to get passionate about most international sport nowadays. 

but that seems a mainly English mentality. most other countries care passionately about their national teams 

I think you have to be a bit of a mark to get passionate about most international sport nowadays.

but that seems a mainly English mentality. most other countries care passionately about their national teams

Probably because their players care passionately

• Like 1

I wonder if everyone would suddenly get really passionate again if we get to the world cup final.

I'm sure everyone in here saying they don't care would be watching something else on the telly that night  :rolleyes:

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Probably because their players care passionately

How do the English players not care passionately?

I support England because I'm English. It wouldn't feel right to support another international team. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching other international teams who play better football than us. Similar to supporting Villa even though there's plenty of teams who play better football than us. I'd be delighted if England could win something just as I was when we won the Rugby World Cup.

On a side note what makes the England players worse than any other football players? Are we all supposed to hate Villa because Gabby slept around a bit? Add to that that most of the traditional hate figures don't start for England anymore (Terry, Cole etc.) and the hatred for the current lot of players seems odd. It just seems like its become the 'cool' thing to do to hate England and I don't know how that'll ever change now. Don't rate our chances much in the Summer but I'll be supporting England and hoping that they'll shock us all.

• Like 1

I **** love watching England in competitive games (euros, world cup). Really couldn't care about friendlies though. Watching football tournaments in the pub is one of my favourite ways to spend a summer, and it's even better when there's an England game on. I don't understand how you couldn't enjoy the atmosphere in a situation like that. 

I **** love watching England in competitive games (euros, world cup). Really couldn't care about friendlies though. Watching football tournaments in the pub is one of my favourite ways to spend a summer, and it's even better when there's an England game on. I don't understand how you couldn't enjoy the atmosphere in a situation like that.

I'd agree with that but surely therefore an attempt to replace friendlies with something a bit more meaningful is worthwhile. It needs to get to a stage where all international matches mean something and not just a few points in a broken ranking system. Obviously a massively different sport with much fewer competitive nations and much less money at club level but rugby is a good example of this.

Â