Children taking holidays in term time

Genie

Are you serious they fine parents if their kids miss school in England, how long has this been going on? When I was in school not that long ago (I'm 25), I was told I might as well stay off on half days as it was too much hassle for my dad to come out of work and collect me, and some days I'd just ask my mom and dad to leave me off as I felt I needed a break from school. When I was in 6th year (last year before college) I used only go in Wednesday mornings as we had P.E. then and had a soccer league going, I'd honestly get a lot more done myself at home.

Thats actually called skiving here in england. I did it myself, and it never harmed my education aside from being almost expelled for it.

Same as, but they wouldn't bat an eyelid over here, fines are nuts. Realistically you aren't going to miss much with a week off school.

we're slightly out of sync with the English school hols here, usually by about a week or 10 days

but it means that if you can leave the holiday until first week of September the cost of that holiday has usually dropped off the edge of a cliff

Can't do it now as kids are at gcse stage. When they were nippers yes why not. The government let the holiday firms blatantly profiteer , this is the root cause of the problem. This year our ski holiday cost double what the week either side would have cost. Robdog tossers

Can't do it now as kids are at gcse stage. When they were nippers yes why not. The government let the holiday firms blatantly profiteer , this is the root cause of the problem. This year our ski holiday cost double what the week either side would have cost. Robdog tossers

But they blatantly don't. I had this argument with the wife recently and I couldn't believe she couldn't work out the logic then.

When you go on holiday during the school holidays, is it busy?

When you go on holiday outside the school holidays, is it less busy?

So really, to balance the supply and demand, the travel companies should charge more in school holidays than they are now?

If they already fill up holiday parks and package holidays, if they lower prices, what will happen? Even more packed? Sell out quicker?

So they'd be losing money for no reason, causing the already busy periods to be even busier, potentially causing the people without children to pay more at other times to subsidise it, willfully losing money for the shareholders, potentially breaking the law, having to lay people off, closing businesses, etc. All to make it so that families can pay less to go away in school holidays.

It's basic market forces. Supply and demand. Something is worth what people will pay for it. Once they start charging more than people will pay, less people will go and prices will come down.

LEAs and heads took the government too literally with the instructions. Now the government aren't doing enough to ensure schools are flexible where they can be. It's about the only place blame can be put in a difficult situation.

But they blatantly don't.

Except you go on to describe profiteering (the point about profiteering is an ethical one not about whether it's because of 'supply and demand' - that would be trivially true, surely?).

Not really. Profiteering is unethical or unfair. This is simple economics. The holiday companies don't have a lot of choice in the matter. They're not trying to unduly profit from the situation; in fact I'm sure they'd prefer it if they could spread business more evenly over the year.

Thats actually called skiving here in england. I did it myself, and it never harmed my education aside from being almost expelled for it.

Same as, but they wouldn't bat an eyelid over here, fines are nuts. Realistically you aren't going to miss much with a week off school.

You can miss a great deal in a week. If a pupil misses the week they are taught the basics of division or multiplication, this can hold them back for a long time as they struggle when it gets more complex. You can miss a lot in a day, a week can be almost impossible to catch up. 

This is simple economics.

'Simple economics' where, as far as I can see, the demand curve only moves to the right or (in off peak times) to the left. That's hardly a market balancing supply and demand.

I'm not sure what you're arguing with to be honest. Charging higher prices when there is higher demand is the very definition of attempting to balance supply and demand. The fact the curve isn't flattened is outside of the travel companies' control. That's the only argument I'm making, that there's very little they can do outside of this.

Charging higher prices when there is higher demand is the very definition of attempting to balance supply and demand.

No, it isn't (at least without reference to supply - which was the point I made earlier).

The fact the curve isn't flattened is outside of the travel companies' control.

I can't see that there's a better example of a market with problems than one where the supply is that price inelastic. Edited by snowychap

Â