• Good
    • Very Good
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

Went home on 65minutes at 1-3.......never ever gone so early, in 50 years as a fan.

Utterly spineless performance....if I was the manager, I would be ashamed of that.

Forget the word confidence.....this is about attitude.

Spineless support, i'd be ashamed of that. Good job the players don't jack it in on 65 mins no matter how bad they played

bit harsh, we were never getting back in to the game, getting very little from most of the players and absolutely nothing from the ref

only 30k there and judging by the atmosphere id question whether half of them actually wanted to be there, thought the crowd was really disappointing yesterday too, wasnt expecting VP to be rocking but thought after the chelsea result it'd be better than that, and it was flat before stoke got going so what was happening on the pitach wasnt to blame

so much apathy about the place, not sure where you point the finger of blame for that

Terrible. I think that is the worst performance under Lambert, no effort or desire at all from the players. It is how we respond to this defeat that is the biggest challenge now.

In terms of worst performance ? Not sure , Lambert has an ever growing catalogue to choose from . The sooner he's out of the club the better.

As for the game once again we see our esteemed manager outsmarted by another manager. The problem with Lambert is when he pulls it off its fantastic and when he does not its disastrous with nothing in between. Yesterday was yet another one of those disasters.

Stoke are an ugly side who generally play pretty dire football but their high tempo physical game total did for us. They are big physically and did a superb job at hassling us and playing right on the edge of what is not a foul. IMO they stepped over the line many times, a fact that clown Clattenburg failed to deal with. For their first goal I was wondering whether he was going to blow up for the handball or the elbow in the face in the build up, as it was neither. Having said that we cannot blame the ref as 4-1 is a battering whatever he did or did not do.

What Stoke woefully exposed was our lack of experience and frankly naivety. They did the simple things well and let us make the mistakes which accounted for the three goals I was in the ground to see. The players just did not know how to deal with Stoke and as in many other games our lack of options on the bench cost us. Even allowing for that the substitutions were bizarre and the formations unfathomable. 

Worst game of the season by a country mile.

Edited by Harry

Any fan that pays their money can walk out at any time especially after watching that rubbish.Also Lamberts tactics weather right or wrong cant be blamed for Baker doing a disappearing act,instead of marking a player.

Went home on 65minutes at 1-3.......never ever gone so early, in 50 years as a fan.

Utterly spineless performance....if I was the manager, I would be ashamed of that.

Spineless support, i'd be ashamed of that. Good job the players don't jack it in on 65 mins no matter how bad they played

I went on 70 minutes and I never leave early, it was clear the players had no desire to get back into this game.

In fact I'd say that players jacked it in at half time. I'm sure I'd they had the choice whether to come out after half time or not then I'm sure most of them wouldn't of, disgraceful effort made to fans paying money to watch them.

We lost this game yesterday.

Some teams benefit from the release of pressure, the chance to relax and play a bit, express themselves. Ours isn't one of those teams, without that bit of pressure, or that bit of a challenge that someone like Chelsea brings, we revert to our default lazy, weak, uninspired dross - today's was all of that and less.

We started badly - I know we scored after five minutes, but we were rubbish for four of those - warning signs which we were happy to ignore once we went one up and decided we were good.

We didn't lose on the basis of ability, we lost because of our mentality - we didn't care. Without something to play for, without the big bad wolf of relegation or the carrot of a major scalp, these players don't have a week in week out winning mentality, they're timid, they hide.

Unfortunately Stoke didn't feel like playing out the last 85 minutes at walking pace and promptly took advantage of a couple of our errors and forced us into a couple more. Ably assisted by the quite dreadful Mr Clattenburg, they battered us without playing well - Christmas come early in the Potteries.

The injuries didn't help us and Sylla is as much a Premier League midfielder as I am, but the double change didn't seem to bring about any change in attitude anyway - no one cared enough to try to lift the others enough to carry him through it.

We could have had two penalties although I'm told that the Benteke one doesn't look it in replays and the handball has gone largely unmentioned - if it was Chelsea we'd have three weeks of Mourinho talking about that decision - here, no one cared enough to make a fuss.

And if the players don't care, and the media don't care, then there's ample excuse for a crowd that was too small and too quiet, much like the team - 30,000 for a club like ours is a disgrace - how do we happily point the finger at those that run the club when we live in a city that doesn't care - Newcastle has a catchment area of around 300,000 people, one in six of them go to games. If we were the same our average attendance would be a quarter of a million people a week - as it stands, of the 1.5 million people that live near enough to Villa Park to attend, only 30,000 could be arsed to go today.

Players don't care, owners don't care, fans don't care.

On days like today, you have to conclude that Mr Holloway was right.

Maybe next week we'll be arsed again.

very good post

.....but rarely does any form of entertainment,critique, blame the crowd for not caring( that has come from months and months of gross inconsistency of alarming proportions)....fans go to see a vibrant team, not a bunch of half soaked cretins who you aptly describe as not caring....as the chant goes " you've only come to see united"....The halcyon days ( for our club) of lemmings going to watch 11 shirts on the line as Tommy Docherty descibed it, have gone.

If the players can't be arsed why should we.....you can only take the horse to the water.......

Edited by TRO

Terrible. I think that is the worst performance under Lambert, no effort or desire at all from the players. It is how we respond to this defeat that is the biggest challenge now.

No disrespect Gentleman, for your positivity, but when are we going to improve our consistency? surely alone that is a measure of progress....."we go again" or "its how we respond" is just a stock answer to a situation that just keeps repeating itself.

Its bad enough losing to Stoke like that.....but on the back of a win against Chelsea its scandalous to lose in that manner.

I can't help feeling the seemingly pandering to players is what has got us in this situation.....if the squad is not enhanced in the summer we might as well all go home.....He should be fetching players off from time to time for not pressing which is equivalent to not working, not just for injuries ....that would send a message around the squad, I ain't putting up with this.

He comes out with " I can't really be critical of the players"......thats pussy footing, not deliberate enough.....he needs to be more deliberate like Saunders, Mourinho or Ferguson.

We're an inconsistent, mid table side. We'll beat Chelsea one week then look awful the next. We've done it all year.

If anything we're very consistent at home, consistently **** shit.
Actually, we've been the very definition of inconsistent at home in the past few months.

Dreadful against Palace, West Ham and Stoke yet fantastic against West Brom, Norwich and Chelsea.

We were not fantastic against West Brom and Norwich. For 15 mins we looked like the best team on the planet v Norwich. Other than that, it was pretty dire stuff. West Brom, could have easily swung the other way - Again, 2nd half, we were awful. Such an inability to keep the ball.

Chelsea. Ok, we were resilient and excellent defensively. Chris Foy played a mammoth part and bar the last 20 minutes, our execution in the final third was as poor as your likely to see at this level. More wasteful passing, aimless crossing and dribbling down blind alleys. Same drivel we've been watching for years.

Why don't you go and watch someone else then. We beat one if the best teams in the world...yes, the world... fair and square but that isn't good enough for you.

I am sick to death of listening to 'supporters' like you.

What are you talking about? Completely missed the point, whilst you were ranting childishly. My point is that we are never fantastic (as Mantis indicated) - certainly not for a full game which probably leads to inconsistencies. You wont win many playing well for a short period of the game (like we did v Norwich) and it also makes you open to a good thumping.

Ur paragraph about the Chelsea game mate....read it again. Did we really play that badly (finishing as poor as ur likely to see, wasteful passing, poor crossing, running down blind alleys, same drivel we've been watching for years)

All that and we beat the team at the top of the league!!

I think U missed MY point

If you take my paragraph about the chelsea game out of context then yes you are likely to miss my point. That paragraph is referring to the 'execution in the final 3rd, which up until the ramires sending off (bar benteke's acrobatic volley) was woeful. Defensively we were very sound all game, but like I say, i was merely responding to Mantis saying we were fantastic in the West brom, Norwich and Chelsea game. Thats not entirely true. In patches and certain parts of the field we were, but there were still many inconsistencies. Take the crazy 15 mins out of the Norwich game, we get beat 1-0. We can not go on showing up for small intervals during the game. It just simply isnt good enough. 

No I dont expect 90 minutes of pure free flowing football. I just expect more than 5/10 minutes here and there. And I certainly expect to see a response when 1-3 down at home to Stoke at HT. To not muster a shot on goal in the 2nd half is nothing short of a disgrace. 

So forgive me for having an opinion, I am really sorry your sick of fans like me. But tbh, Im pretty sick of the rubbish football on display at VP and it appears Im not the only one. 

• Like 3

what do you mean?....they jacked it in after we scored....the deck chairs came out.....so its ok for them to *uck off.

No , I'm the paying customer....I'm the victim....not the other way around.

I'm the one paying to be entertained..... are you asking me to support players who are  yards away from their opponents and have made it plain, no physical challenge for me today Guv....your having a laugh.

its nothing to do with getting beat, its to do with throwing the towel in.

How on earth can you go from Beating the league leaders........ to that.....its shocking.....even more due to us starting well....unbelievable.

even Neil Warnock said on talk sport "I've heard of inconsistency, but thats another dimension of it"

Edited by birdistheword

All you gotta do is laugh

tumblr_megy7jGxKc1ry10fwo1_500.gif

Says it all really and sums up my view after a really good March so far... And as for those 'running scared' from the VT boards because of 'the Lambert haters' - LOL even more. And no, I am not a Lambert hater - just sceptical.

Just when I thought we had genuinely turned the corner - we go and offer Stoke a result. A Stoke team who have done bugger all on the road this season until reaching good old cuddly and charitable Villa Park.

Bad day in the office then - yeah, I can kind of accept all the thumb-nosing about how clinical Stoke were in the context of our most immediately preceeding two performances. But we set off like a train at full steam - we scored a great, patient build up interplay goal and Stoke didn't have a kick until about the 10th minute. So what happened? Maybe the injuries... maybe... But Villa - **** off with injuries as an excuse next season.

The Stoke game was remarkably like Norwich, but in reverse and Paul nailed it on the head by decalring we deserved nothing. We really didn't.

So what next? Are we good for a win at Old Trafford? Can we really win there for a second time in 5 seasons? And then the mighty Fulham come to Villa Park - be ready for that folks... Another club with sod all to cheer about on the road looking to end a dismal away record at our gaff. Be ready for that. They were crap at home until we played them at the Cottage. And haven't been much better since. Charitable Aston Villa.

The way I see it - don't ever bet money on Aston Villa. You just don't know what you're going to get. Aston Vanilla (more than a fair chance of getting licked) or a box of chocolates?

Hard work this week Paul.

• Like 1

1-4 at home to Stoke, it happens.

to who other than us?????  

No one, that's who! Cos no one else is that inept tactically that they are unable or unwilling to change something that isn't working.  

Yeah he made subs but the setup of the side was wrong and that did not change.

we'll probably respond by getting stuffed 6 or 7 nil against United - as is our way...

Any fan that pays their money can walk out at any time especially after watching that rubbish.Also Lamberts tactics weather right or wrong cant be blamed for Baker doing a disappearing act,instead of marking a player.

He can be blamed for playing him and/or not signing someone to replace him and/or blooding one of our much talked about and seldom used successful youth players though

We lost this game yesterday.

Some teams benefit from the release of pressure, the chance to relax and play a bit, express themselves. Ours isn't one of those teams, without that bit of pressure, or that bit of a challenge that someone like Chelsea brings, we revert to our default lazy, weak, uninspired dross - today's was all of that and less.

We started badly - I know we scored after five minutes, but we were rubbish for four of those - warning signs which we were happy to ignore once we went one up and decided we were good.

We didn't lose on the basis of ability, we lost because of our mentality - we didn't care. Without something to play for, without the big bad wolf of relegation or the carrot of a major scalp, these players don't have a week in week out winning mentality, they're timid, they hide.

Unfortunately Stoke didn't feel like playing out the last 85 minutes at walking pace and promptly took advantage of a couple of our errors and forced us into a couple more. Ably assisted by the quite dreadful Mr Clattenburg, they battered us without playing well - Christmas come early in the Potteries.

The injuries didn't help us and Sylla is as much a Premier League midfielder as I am, but the double change didn't seem to bring about any change in attitude anyway - no one cared enough to try to lift the others enough to carry him through it.

We could have had two penalties although I'm told that the Benteke one doesn't look it in replays and the handball has gone largely unmentioned - if it was Chelsea we'd have three weeks of Mourinho talking about that decision - here, no one cared enough to make a fuss.

And if the players don't care, and the media don't care, then there's ample excuse for a crowd that was too small and too quiet, much like the team - 30,000 for a club like ours is a disgrace - how do we happily point the finger at those that run the club when we live in a city that doesn't care - Newcastle has a catchment area of around 300,000 people, one in six of them go to games. If we were the same our average attendance would be a quarter of a million people a week - as it stands, of the 1.5 million people that live near enough to Villa Park to attend, only 30,000 could be arsed to go today.

Players don't care, owners don't care, fans don't care.

On days like today, you have to conclude that Mr Holloway was right.

Maybe next week we'll be arsed again.

very good post

.....but rarely does any form of entertainment,critique, blame the crowd for not caring( that has come from months and months of gross inconsistency of alarming proportions)....fans go to see a vibrant team, not a bunch of half soaked cretins who you aptly describe as not caring....as the chant goes " you've only come to see united"....The halcyon days ( for our club) of lemmings going to watch 11 shirts on the line as Tommy Docherty descibed it, have gone.

If the players can't be arsed why should we.....you can only take the horse to the water.......

i'd like to point out that newcastle were still selling out their ground when they were relegated and playing the the championship so your opinion on people not turning up when teams play badly seems a bit misguided to me.

The people of Birmingham are fickle and will only go if they think they gonna win (the majority i mean not the minority that went) and with fans like that Villa arent going anywhere.

He can be blamed for playing him and/or not signing someone to replace him and/or blooding one of our much talked about and seldom used successful youth players though

He did sign someone to replace him, it just so happened that someone gets injured for the season!

Â