Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

It wasn't aimed directly at you but it seems like it has become a running joke to rate Holtby. As i've said before, I think Cleverley would be an improvement on our squad and I'm not really against the deal, but I'd rather strengthen in a more attacking area.

Holtby is a good player, not world class which is why he is a plausible option for us, I'd say his reputation isn't far from Cleverley's. I think criticisms of his time at Fulham are unfair, they played him quite often out wide which isn't his best position. He didn't excel at Spurs but he certainly had some excellent performances, especially against us. 

I think he would be a more exciting signing, he would add some much needed flair and creativity to our team. Again, I still think Cleverley could do well and I really don't understand the mindless attacks on him either, but Holtby would be addressing a more pressing problem that we have.  

• Like 1

Spurs just signed ANOTHER midfielder. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28992064 Well he's got a medical which is pretty promising. Surely they're gunna offload soon. 

It is ridiculous how many midfielders they have....

Sandro

Paulinho

Dembele

Townsend

Lennon

Chadli

Capoue

Lamela

Eriksen

Holtby

Bentaleb

In fairness Pochettino has rotated quite well pretty early on and the likes of Chadli and Capoue who were previously frozen out have started games but I can't see him keeping everyone happy so some will have to leave.

Pretty much everyone from that list would improve us.

• Like 1

Spurs just signed ANOTHER midfielder. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28992064 Well he's got a medical which is pretty promising. Surely they're gunna offload soon.

Sandro

Paulinho

Dembele

Townsend

Lennon

Chadli

Capoue

Lamela

Eriksen

Holtby

Bentaleb

In fairness Pochettino has rotated quite well pretty early on and the likes of Chadli and Capoue who were previously frozen out have started games but I can't see him keeping everyone happy so some will have to leave.

Shame we won't sign any of em

Sandro

Paulinho

Dembele

Townsend

Lennon

Chadli

Capoue

Lamela

Eriksen

Holtby

Bentaleb

I would take any of them over Cleverley that's for sure, embarrassment of riches at the lane.

To play Devil's Advocate on Deeney, I don't think it matters that he's a nose. If we'd kept him while he was with us at youth level, and played for the first team, would we care? I know I wouldn't. If anything I would say it would make him more determined to do well, as he'd probably have a section of boo boys on his back, straight away. If Jamie Carragher can play for Liverpool, why can't Deeney play for Villa? At the end of the day, he's a PROFESSIONAL footballer. Now back in the real world, there is absolutely no way in the world we'll spend anywhere near what it would const to bring him in, so you might as well forget about this one straight off.

He is, according to people who know him, as anti villa as "they" get. He'd lose the respect of all of his friends and with Troy Deeney that is more important than his career. Not every footballer is as professional as you'd like to think.

If we were his only option or we were offering him champions league football then maybe. But we're not and we can't. Either way, he's too expensive and not good enough. And he hates the club, which is never a good start!

Again playing Devil's Advocate, could that also be to do with the fact we release him as a kid? I've heard stories the Joleon Lescott lost his love for Villa, because of the way his brother was treated, while with the club. Don't know how true that is, but I can imagine it might have an impact.

It's to do with being from Chelmsley Wood.

It's different when you're a kid, playing for any high level youth team is an achievement. In his case he wasn't released because of lack of talent either.

I'm from Chelmsley Wood, what's your point?

I know his family (met him a few times as well) and some of the generalisations posted in relation to Troy and Chelmsley Wood in general is silly.

Chelmsley Wood is a shit hole full of noses. I'm from Acocks Green, a shit hole full of noses. What's YOUR point?
Bravo on your generalisation and stereotyping of people from Chelmsley Wood, where I was born and bred and have done good from. And actually, its pretty mixed Villa and blues amd I know of a few more Villa supporters from Chelmsley in this very forum, so shtum sonshine! But yes it has a reputation as a shithole, but its our shithole! Haha

Acocks Green has its share of noses and shithole areas.

In all seriousness though, Deeney pops in the Marston tavern at times and has said he'd never join Villa.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2

Sandro

Paulinho

Dembele

Townsend

Lennon

Chadli

Capoue

Lamela

Eriksen

Holtby

Bentaleb

I would take any of them over Cleverley that's for sure, embarrassment of riches at the lane.

Get your cheque book out then.

Spurs just signed ANOTHER midfielder. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28992064 Well he's got a medical which is pretty promising. Surely they're gunna offload soon.

Sandro

Paulinho

Dembele

Townsend

Lennon

Chadli

Capoue

Lamela

Eriksen

Holtby

Bentaleb

Don't get your point?

I'd imagine at least a couple of those would be available for the £8m Cleverly is being touted at.

Edited by penguin
  • Like 1

i would like Dele Alli from MK Dons as he would be considerably cheaper and i believe is more talented, can score goals and can play in an advanced midfield role or out wide

More talented than who? Song?
Not sure about song but he's got potential to build a very good reputation in the premiership. He's a very young lad who's already being looked at by top sides in the premiership but he's obviously not going to get games there. If you know any MK Dons fans ask them what their opinion is of him because I've only ever heard good things. Even if he didn't come in as a starter he'd improve the squad and would be an exciting talent to bring on

http://m.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/mk-dons/robbo-expects-bids-for-dele-alli-1-6266446

Edited by skarroki

Can we please go for maxime Lestienne? IMO that would be a great signing and if we have the money for cleverly I think he would have the money for him. He is the tricky winger/ attacking mid that we need. He reminds me of coutinho and I think he would be a great asset for us.

• Like 1

All that list shows is spurs don't know how to make the step forward all good players some very good but they need to thin it down and buy one or two top class players.

Think we won't see movement till Monday myself I'm just hoping vlaar is still here

Can we please go for maxime Lestienne? IMO that would be a great signing and if we have the money for cleverly I think he would have the money for him. He is the tricky winger/ attacking mid that we need. He reminds me of coutinho and I think he would be a great asset for us.

I thought he'd signed for a middle eastern club this summer.

Spurs just signed ANOTHER midfielder. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28992064 Well he's got a medical which is pretty promising. Surely they're gunna offload soon.

Sandro

Paulinho

Dembele

Townsend

Lennon

Chadli

Capoue

Lamela

Eriksen

Holtby

Bentaleb

Don't get your point?

I'd imagine at least a couple of those would be available for the £8m Cleverly is being touted at.

I would imagine you are wrong.

I thought he'd signed for a middle eastern club this summer.

He signed for a Qatari club and is going on loan to Genoa supposedly

Whats with the Holtby love? A man who has done less in the Premier League than the 'awful' Cleverley.

Cleverley and a wide forward on loan for me please.

I agree, Holtby hasn't done much. It still doesn't make Cleverley value for money. He's still 'shit' (not my comment).

Id be absolutely delighted with with Cleverly, Holtby & Sinclair. Guidetti is also available from Man City. If we were able to get those 4 in we would have had an amazing transfer window.