Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Keeping Vlaar should be the priority

If we let him go that leaves us with a desperate 2 weeks trying to find a replacement and every club will know we have money from the deal and will take us to the cleaners because were desperate

We should be adding to the squad not selling players because yet again we would take one step forward 2 steps backwards

Selling Vlaar and not replacing him would be awful it would mean one of the chucklebrothers probably coming back into the fold at some point

I want us to look as good defensively like we did against Stoke in every match and that means keeping Vlaar getting him to sign a new deal would be up there with signing Sanchez in terms of importance

Edited by AshVilla

Nick Powell on loan would be a good pick up for us. Low wages and if it's true about El Ahmadi wanting to leave then Powell would definitely be an upgrade. 

His name crossed my mind too. Would be a good signing.

Anyone willing to get rid of Vlaar right now is mental if you ask me. With a year left on his contract we're not going to get offers that would really be worth it, in my opinion. He's much more valuable to us as a player than a pay day this season.

• Like 4

Nick Powell on loan would be a good pick up for us. Low wages and if it's true about El Ahmadi wanting to leave then Powell would definitely be an upgrade. 

Powell is quality. Used to watch him at Crewe all the time he really has something special. Would be a shame to see him go to waste at united. Was decent at Wigan too. Not sure he'd be a regular starter in the Prem though but certainly a cheap loan signing. A good one at that. 

Edited by tomh621

Keeping Vlaar should be the priority

If we let him go that leaves us with a desperate 2 weeks trying to find a replacement and every club will know we have money from the deal and will take us to the cleaners because were desperate

You say that, but if the club know he could leave they will have been sounding out a replacement already

I think Sanchez wiil make a big difference defensively, give more protection to the back 4.

Granted we are a better team with Vlaar in, but i would love Hernandez down VP, and with Vlaar being 29, and Hernandez being 25, if the deal is possible, i would go for it tbh

In a team that plays one player up front, why would we trade our best centre half for another striker? If we suddenly then switch to 4-4-2 we are going to have to revamp the midfield to accommodate the extra striker, plus bring in a replacement for Vlaar.
Not that I would want to swap Hernandez for Vlaar, but we're not a 'one up top' team. Yesterday our formation was 4-5-1, but Lambert has shown that he likes to play 3 strikers, or 'forwards'. We rarely ever field a team with only one striker.

I still think we lack creativity like another attacking midfielder like holtby and a winger be pretty happy then

That's why we bought Joe Cole and Kieran Richardson?

You dont think there's any chance Joe Cole might get injured or need rotating? Proper CAM would be good preferably younger than Joe Cole. And Gabby/Weimann on the wing? Another 1st team winger would also be decent.
We all know there is a big, big chance Cole will be injured throughout the season, but I can't see us bringing in an AMC when we have Cole, Richardson, N'Zogbia and Weimann who can play there. Or, at least, who have been played there by Lambert. If the manager believed he had funds to bring in a Holtby type of player, then I doubt we would have signed Cole. A winger will be the next signing, I believe.

I think Sanchez wiil make a big difference defensively, give more protection to the back 4.

Granted we are a better team with Vlaar in, but i would love Hernandez down VP, and with Vlaar being 29, and Hernandez being 25, if the deal is possible, i would go for it tbh

In a team that plays one player up front, why would we trade our best centre half for another striker? If we suddenly then switch to 4-4-2 we are going to have to revamp the midfield to accommodate the extra striker, plus bring in a replacement for Vlaar.
Not that I would want to swap Hernandez for Vlaar, but we're not a 'one up top' team. Yesterday our formation was 4-5-1, but Lambert has shown that he likes to play 3 strikers, or 'forwards'. We rarely ever field a team with only one striker.

I get that, but out of those 3 strikers how many actually play up top? Gabby and Weimann should be playing as inside forwards but they rarely do. 

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

I wonder whether we'll see a player leave in the next two weeks. Our squad is getting big, and I'd say we could spare a few players. Sell Clark for 3 or 4 mil? Lowton for a couple? KEA back to Holland maybe? If Lambert was to get the money to re-invest, I wouldn't mind seeing a departure or two.

I could see lowton and herd leaving.  Possibly one of baker or clark heading out on loan.

I wouldn't be against losing Lowton and/or Herd provided we bought someone else in to cover RB, but that's more based on the fact that I'd rather see Bacuna further forward where he can create a bit more. Happy to let him put in the occasional shift at RB if it helps him improve his overall game but long term* I think we could do with a dedicated fullback there.

*long term being after we've got other more pressing positions filled, obviously.