NEC up for sale

Wainy316

In my last job, I was working almost exclusively for bham city council doing energy certificates. Lets say that sooner rather than later, they wont have many public leisure centres, libraries and a lot of schools are being left in a state of disrepair. One school in particular in south Birmingham is basically not safe because it has a roof of asbestos that is caving in. There are a lot of schools which are turning into academies because they think the services of the city are so poor and bcc have many, many satellite offices which are being closed down. They are more or less stone cold broke and are in fact in a huge amount of trouble. They'll have to split up eventually, because being the largest council in Europe is simply not working.

In my last job, I was working almost exclusively for bham city council doing energy certificates. Lets say that sooner rather than later, they wont have many public leisure centres, libraries and a lot of schools are being left in a state of disrepair. One school in particular in south Birmingham is basically not safe because it has a roof of asbestos that is caving in. There are a lot of schools which are turning into academies because they think the services of the city are so poor and bcc have many, many satellite offices which are being closed down. They are more or less stone cold broke and are in fact in a huge amount of trouble. They'll have to split up eventually, because being the largest council in Europe is simply not working.

Much of that is true. The Government have slashed funding to many large Councils by over 40% since 2010 whilst nice leafy suburbs down in the South East have had cuts in single digits.

The poorest and most vulnerable are those most reliant on council services and it is those as always that will suffer most.

This in turn isn't helped by the eco-friendly Labour party introducing a policy that allows people to drive their kids across the city to attend Sutton schools.

They are not Sutton schools though are they. They are Birmingham schools. Many of those residing in Sutton Coldfield may not like it but is just as much a part of Birmingham as Erdington, Northfield, Ladywood, Hall Green, Perry Barr, Kingstanding etc.

I have lived or worked in Sutton Coldfield for a good chunk of my life and some think they are a cut above being associated with Birmingham. Why I don't know because they aren't and just simply come across as deluded prats with their heads up their own backsides.

Well I have always been proud of Birmingham, showing it off to surprised foreign visitors once again this week, but as a lifelong Sutton resident I believe that the town should never have lost its independence, and that it should be restored at the earliest possible moment.

I assume that makes me a 'deluded prat'?

Speaking as somebody who lives in an independent town in Warwickshire I can assure you that you won't be much better off mate, especially with regards to infrastructure and transportation which is all managed by the county council in Warwick, and they usually decide to spend all the money in the south of the county (Warwick/Leamington/Stratford) rather than in the north. Sutton will just be giving control of the purse strings over to people further away with less interest.

but as a lifelong Sutton resident I believe that the town should never have lost its independence, and that it should be restored at the earliest possible moment.

Well when you inevitably start your bombing campaign on Erdington high street can you at least give us a heads up first ?

• Like 1

but as a lifelong Sutton resident I believe that the town should never have lost its independence, and that it should be restored at the earliest possible moment.

Well when you inevitably start your bombing campaign on Erdington high street can you at least give us a heads up first ?

Why would anybody bother bombing a bomb site?

;)

• Like 1

;)

Exactly . It would solve nothing in the long run and would not bring about the end of Birmingham rule in your North Eastern province . If only the Irish had Vt back in the day .

P.s. Heard you guys now have a Nandos to go with the aldi . Sounds like you guys are really living the life over there .

• Like 1

;)

Exactly . It would solve nothing in the long run and would not bring about the end of Birmingham rule in your North Eastern province . If only the Irish had Vt back in the day .

P.s. Heard you guys now have a Nandos to go with the aldi . Sounds like you guys are really living the life over there .

Dunno, I haven't visited the town centre for at least a couple of years.

Wanting Sutton independence doesn't automatically mean a dislike for bordering towns, but it is an interesting chip that is worn. I didn't realise.

;)

Wanting Sutton independence doesn't automatically mean a dislike for bordering towns, but it is an interesting chip that is worn. I didn't realise.

I was born in Sutton and as I am for 99 % of the time on here I am having fun . You just sounded like Sinn Fein is all .

;)

I was born in Sutton and as I am for 99 % of the time on here I am having fun . You just sounded like Sinn Fein is all .

??

Wouldn't Sinn Fein be Erdington? I have always thought that Erdington is the most Irish area of what is accepted as a very Irish city.

Yeah there is a huge Irish community here in which I like to think I am part of (even as an Englishman) . I was a promising Gaelic football player in my teens even though I have zero Irish heritage .

Anyway that is irrelevant ..you are the one trying to make your world smaller . You are happy to support Brums premier team but reluctant to be part of the city they represent ? . Seems weird .

Yeah there is a huge Irish community here in which I like to think I am part of (even as an Englishman) . I was a promising Gaelic football player in my teens even though I have zero Irish heritage .

Anyway that is irrelevant ..you are the one trying to make your world smaller . You are happy to support Brums premier team but reluctant to be part of the city they represent ? . Seems weird .

I am not reluctant to be part of the city, I am reluctant to be part of the political shenanigans.

I am a proud Brummie as I am a proud Englishman and a proud Brit.

Sutton was taken under the control of Birmingham for (Tory) political reasons, nothing else. Therefore it should be taken out.

I've never thought of the Villa representing Birmingham. I don't believe that any multi-team cities have a 'representative'

Trust me, Villa are Brum's only professional representative team . If you think there are other teams that represent this amazing industrial behemoth then pass me that crack pipe mate .

;)

??

Wouldn't Sinn Fein be Erdington? I have always thought that Erdington is the most Irish area of what is accepted as a very Irish city.

Kingstanding would give Erdington a run for it's money for that title, However I can see where you're viewpoint about Erdington Comes from, I went to school in Erdington and the vast Majority of children had at least one Irish Parent it seemed, and even if I was one of the few that didn't, I had at least 2 two Irish great grandparents that i know of.

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

Shouldn't do. Census data (as far as I'm aware) is based on where your council tax goes. That's why boundaries and borders don't really mean that much in certain situations, you get areas which are geographically in one place but politically in another. Castle Brom being part of Solihull is a classic example.

Or even Great Barr, the suburb no-one wanted. Part of it is in Brum, part of it is in Sandwell and the part where the people with six fingers on each hand live is in Walsall

• Like 2

Shouldn't do. Census data (as far as I'm aware) is based on where your council tax goes. That's why boundaries and borders don't really mean that much in certain situations, you get areas which are geographically in one place but politically in another. Castle Brom being part of Solihull is a classic example.

Or even Great Barr, the suburb no-one wanted. Part of it is in Brum, part of it is in Sandwell and the part where the people with six fingers on each hand live is in Walsall

It's always seemed strange to me that Birmingham, whilst a Warwickshire City, actually contains large areas that were in Staffordshire and Worcestershire,

Sutton people getting 'pissy' is more about the fact that they pour revenue into the city coffers, but are the last to get anything out

The people of Sutton Coldfield do indeed put their fair share in. Due to the massive funding cuts from central government going forward I know that the council are going to allocate funding to each of the 10 districts based on levels of deprivation. Therefore Sutton Coldfield will not do well out of it but with hardly a pot to piss in I think its right that those most in need get any money that is available.

It is actually the opposite to what is happening nationally. Large cities such as Birmigham, Liverpool, Newcatle etc have done far worse out of the cuts to local government funding than some leafy suburb in the south east.

Edited by markavfc40

Â