Batman: Arkham Knight

villarule123

Had a quick blast earlier (very quick). Graphically impressive, usual mechanics in order, Batmobile appears to have been copy and pasted into the game from a different, much worse, title.

And the PC version from what I've seen is an abomination. Rumoured 20-30gb update inbound which would suggest it's completely broken fundamentally.

The batmobile & it's tank mode are possibly the most awful things I've had the misfortune of playing. Also the Riddler races are awful, the handling of the car is terrible yet they

Expect you to be flat out while actually platforming in the car. Really is horrible.

I'm finding it quite lifeless in all honesty

Edited by mightysasquatch

The batmobile & it's tank mode are possibly the most awful things I've had the misfortune of playing. Also the Riddler races are awful, the handling of the car is terrible yet they

Expect you to be flat out while actually platforming in the car. Really is horrible.

pc version?

Why the **** do people keep preordering things? Wait literally one day from release and you can save yourself spending money on utter shite. It's not like they sell out, and the little perks they give are nowhere near worth risking throwing your money down the drain. Just stop preordering!

• Like 1

Why the **** do people keep preordering things? Wait literally one day from release and you can save yourself spending money on utter shite. It's not like they sell out, and the little perks they give are nowhere near worth risking throwing your money down the drain. Just stop preordering!

The game was reviews last Friday on ign & most gaming sites scoring excellent reviews, the common negative with all those reviewers being the batmobile element being terrible. So people had ample time to cancel/not pick it up, the game nowhere scored a "shite review", at least where I look at info anyway.

pc version?

Xbox one

Edited by mightysasquatch

Rumoured 20-30gb update inbound which would suggest it's completely broken fundamentally.

If an update is that big can it really be called an update. More like here's a complete new version of the game. I don't mind Pc games releasing updates to correct minor issues/bugs but in the last few years it seems to be common place to release a broken game and then wait for the people who have pre-ordered to do the testing for you and then 6 months after release you'll have a version that works.

The game was reviews last Friday on ign & most gaming sites scoring excellent reviews, the common negative with all those reviewers being the batmobile element being terrible. So people had ample time to cancel/not pick it up, the game nowhere scored a "shite review", at least where I look at info anyway.

Which is why I said wait a day after release, when it's in the hands of normal players, not self interested hacks who will give any shite 8/10 to make sure they don't get blacklisted from early review copies. I trust the average game reviewer as much as a used cars salesman.

• Like 1

Is it a new thing that games are being released so broken or is it something that's always existed.

From BF4, to Halo:MCC, to this Batman game, how do they get released and deemed fit for purpose?

In the case of Batman the issue seems to be that the PC version was farmed out to a different team who appear, for one reason or another, to have ballsed it up. There's been hints it might be the DRM software causing problems.

Otherwise it's rushing basically. The cost of development now is such that publishers want stuff released ASAP, which isn't a good mix when you've got games being ever more complex and time consuming. Publishers are happy to get cash in hand in the opening week of release and patch it afterwards.

Saying that, irrespective of how pretty etc Batman is, it's not exactly earth shattering in it's scope, which makes the mess the PC version is in even more damming for whoever put it together.

• Like 1

In the case of Batman the issue seems to be that the PC version was farmed out to a different team who appear, for one reason or another, to have ballsed it up. There's been hints it might be the DRM software causing problems.

Otherwise it's rushing basically. The cost of development now is such that publishers want stuff released ASAP, which isn't a good mix when you've got games being ever more complex and time consuming. Publishers are happy to get cash in hand in the opening week of release and patch it afterwards.

Saying that, irrespective of how pretty etc Batman is, it's not exactly earth shattering in it's scope, which makes the mess the PC version is in even more damming for whoever put it together.

From what I read it was a team of 12 people that were sub contractors and had no experience porting games to PC. What could possibly go wrong with that?

The other rumour was that they were only given a few months to do it in so it's a miracle they got it even halfway working in time.

Iron Galaxy are a studio with a poor track record but if what I've heard is true then it's not completely their fault and I'm more inclined to blame WB.

Only played a couple of hours but I quite like the batmobile sections  :ph34r:

Yeah same as me, not too far in to the game yet at all I don't think but I've enjoyed everything including any time I've been behind the wheel of the Batmobile.

Not a big fan of the batmobile personally. I think it'd be fine if it wasn't used so much, and the forced platforming isn't the best either. Rest of the game is great though, like Arkham City but with more everything.

I'm not a hard core gamer, I don't even own a machine at the moment, but I played a bit of this on my eldest lad's xbox one and really enjoyed it.

I must be a bit simple or easily pleased, becuase I've loved the batmobile bits so far!

I don't think the addition of the Batmobile takes anything away from the game. You can still just glide around if you really want to and there's plenty of enemies to fight, riddles to solve or a whole host of side quests. I just think it adds another dimension to the game and I quite enjoy it.

I did a race with tank sections in it the other day and had lots of fun trying to do it all under three minutes.

Â