Batman: Arkham Knight

villarule123

Oh man, you really are making me work hard ender4 ;)

You should definitely start with Arkham Asylum. It's fantastic. Then go to Arkham City and then skip Arkham Origins if I were you. Origins wasn't made by Rocksteady and it shows

They are third-person action/adventure games with a light RPG element in the form of the levelling up system. The games have a fantastic combat mechanic where you more often than not fight multiple assailants and chain your attacks together. You can utilise different moves and gadgets in your combos and they are rated based on how long you chain for and how much variety you use in them. You then get EXP from these which you use to unlock more moves and gadgets, and you can also upgrade your stats a little too such as better armour which increases your defence. The combat is exquisite and flows really well. It really makes you feel in control and once you get used to it you'll be destroying thugs in a matter of seconds.

There's a main story mode which is well-written and well voice-acted (in Asylum and City at least) and it really makes you feel like you're in the Gotham of the comics and graphic novels. I don't know if you're much of a Batman fan or if you've read any of the comics, but the games mainly use these as their source material, so it's quite different to the films - better in my opinion, but then again I'm a comic fan. The story campaign takes you to different locations and you'll meet plenty of villains along the way. There are some puzzles to figure out using your brain and your gadgets, collectibles hidden away to find which unlock more gameplay modes and character biographies for more of an in-depth look.

Outside of the main campaign mode you also have Riddler Challenge rooms which are comprised of one of two types - combat or stealth. In the combat rooms you'll face multiple waves of enemies and do away with them within certain time limits to earn bronze, silver and gold medals and your best time will go on an online leaderboard. These are just things to do post-game if you feel like, but the story mode is where the game really shines.

Of course, you could always search YouTube for gameplay videos or gaming websites for proper reviews ;)

• Like 3

thanks again Ginko - who needs wikipedia when i have my own personal Ginkopedia    :D

it sounds interesting, my main worry is whether i like the combat mechanism.

i enjoy shooting, but haven't really played games with combo mechanism before except Remember Me.

In that the combos were confusing, so i ended up just bashing one combo all the time.

i'll get Arkham Asylum & City anyway whilst they are on sale in the PS3 store.

Edited by ender4

I'm hoping AK shakes the formula up a bit, I only got about 20% into Origins and suddenly thought 'I've been doing the same **** over and over that I've been doing in the past two games, **** this'. Went & traded it in straight after.

Combat, mission structure, collectibles etc... all need altering IMO to stave off repetition and deja vu.

thanks again Ginko - who needs wikipedia when i have my own personal Ginkopedia    :D

it sounds interesting, my main worry is whether i like the combat mechanism.

i enjoy shooting, but haven't really played games with combo mechanism before except Remember Me.

In that the combos were confusing, so i ended up just bashing one combo all the time.

i'll get Arkham Asylum & City anyway whilst they are on sale in the PS3 store.

It's a really good combat system. I absolutely hate hack 'n slash button mashing games and I'm not very good at fighting games with complicated move sets. It's not like this in the Arkham games. It's simple but not too simple that it makes you feel like you're not doing anything. A lot of it is to do with timing. It's very easy to pick up and very satisfying in my opinion. Get Asylum first and give it a blast and if you like that definitely get City.

Ginkopedia out.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

Combat, mission structure, collectibles etc... all need altering IMO to stave off repetition and deja vu.

i believe at the very least that (at least some of the) Riddler challenges involve driving the Batmobile round and stuff, so there will be that that's new to enjoy at the very least.

I don't think that NOT playing Asylum or City would in any way hamper your enjoyment of Knight (as long as it's as polished as the first two Arkham games of course, and I have no reason to believe it won't since Rocksteady are making this iteration).

However, you've got a while to wait for the game yet, so you might as well get Asylum and see what you think. It's relatively cheap nowadays. Then if you crave more, go and get City. Both are fantastic games. 

• Like 1

I don't think that NOT playing Asylum or City would in any way hamper your enjoyment of Knight (as long as it's as polished as the first two Arkham games of course, and I have no reason to believe it won't since Rocksteady are making this iteration).

However, you've got a while to wait for the game yet, so you might as well get Asylum and see what you think. It's relatively cheap nowadays. Then if you crave more, go and get City. Both are fantastic games. 

I played both just a little after City came out and I thought it was a much better game than Asylum, maybe it's because Poison Ivy was a huge part of Asylum and as good as the character was, I thought the missions surrounding her were just a bit shit. I finished City in a little over 2 days, then within a week I was playing through new game plus. Never wanted to with Asylum but I guess it's somewhat down to personal taste too.

Origins is good now the bugs have gone if you get all the DLC. Seems like it was just a shell of a game in keeping with the fashion of a lot of games these days.

Although, these are the words of someone who loves everything Batman related, even the film 'Batman & Robin' and owns a Batman tea towel.

ordinary-batman-animated-gif-art.gif?b91

Comparing Origins as a shell of the previous Arkham games is an accurate description in my book.

Not only does it feel empty in terms of the variety in gameplay, level design and the story, but in the finer details that Rocksteady include that give their games so much character and depth. I didn't enjoy Origins at all. It doesn't come anywhere close to Asylum and City.

This is also coming from a huge Batman fan, but I despise 'Batman & Robin' and do not own a Batman tea towel ;)

• Like 1

Not a bad thing for me personally as it may coincide with the time ill get a ps4, although, ill probably wait further still for the slim version unless the slim comes out early next year.

Bought Arkham Origins in the batman sale on psn, was expecting it to be rubbish from all your comments but how wrong.. amazing game, absolutely loved it

At the start of that trailer when Batman is in the huge building you can see just how vast the city is. I don't know if all of that area you can see is necessarily playable, but if it was that big of a game map then the Batmobile would certainly be useful for getting around. That and it looks badass.

I remember the first time I drove the Batmobile in a game. This game was insanely difficult for me, though I was still in single digits at the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9BVJxHBxpc

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ever wondered what Batman would look like if he was designed by Tetsuya Nomura, of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts fame? No? Well, here it is anyway

sj6pjw2bvubc3koplkwd.jpg

as6lqs6m1w5hefqb8ew2.jpg

It's Bahamut!

• Like 3

Â