Science Thread

Nigel

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

The problem with Science is that there's little exposure of it compared to the decades leading up to 2000.  We don't see rockets launching or anything.  We just get new gadgets to consume.  No thought on how they are created.

You can't show an interest in something in which you have no exposure.  We'd seemingly rather watch how relationships form and fall apart from wealthy, young Londoners or northerners.

I'd say the closest we get to it now is when Tim Peake was on the ISS, or Brian Cox.  To a lesser degree David Attenborough.

Phones, tablets, PC's allow kids to get what they want, when they want.  Do you think the majority are going to sit and watch something informative?  I'd say they are more likely to find entertainment/games etc.  Of course, there are/will be exceptions, but schools etc main aims now should be to get kids INTERESTED in finding out about things. 

Breaking Bad got the kids in my town into chemistry . :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody read this? It's probably the longest article I've ever read on the net but really fascinating insight into his new company. Well, well worth it for anyone's who is interested in the subject.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html#part5

Neuralink and the Brains Magical Future by Tim Urban. 

Last month I got a phone call. "I want to build a wizard hat" 

OK maybe that's not exactly how it happened or maybe those weren't his exact words. But after learning about his new company Elon Musks starting, I've come to realise that is exactly what he is trying to do.

Edited by villaglint

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Humans appear to have been in North Africa (Morocco) 300k years ago... we know nothing!

"Idea that modern humans evolved in East Africa 200,000 years ago challenged by extraordinary discovery of 300,000-year-old remains in Moroccan mine"

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/jun/07/oldest-homo-sapiens-bones-ever-found-shake-foundations-of-the-human-story

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Anyone believe this? :D 

No, but it would be funny if the 'intelligent alien life' happened to have pointy goatees, wear hoodies and speak in a dodgy accent.

• 2 weeks later...

First object teleported to Earth's orbit

Chinese researchers have teleported a photon from the Gobi desert to a satellite orbiting five hundred kilometres above the earth.

This is achieved through quantum entanglement, a process where two particles react as one with no physical connection between them.

BBC

GPq8zLs.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

more evidence that advanced basic mathematics were in place long before the greeks, at least 1k years according to this research.

"Our research reveals that Plimpton 322 describes the shapes of right-angle triangles using a novel kind of trigonometry based on ratios, not angles and circles. It is a fascinating mathematical work that demonstrates undoubted genius."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/aug/24/mathematical-secrets-of-ancient-tablet-unlocked-after-nearly-a-century-of-study

Meet the neighbours

System: YZ Ceti

Discovered by: European Southern Observatory

Found on: August 14, 2017

Key Facts: Three Earth-mass worlds found around a small red star only 12 light-years away. 

NASA's perspective: YZ Ceti is the nearest multi-planet system found orbiting a red dwarf star or "M dwarf." While the three planets are outside their star's habitable zone, they are all about the same mass as Earth. YZ Ceti b, c, and d are the lowest mass planets found with the planet-hunting method radial velocity. NASA's TESS and James Webb telescopes will study more exoplanets around nearby stars in 2018, in hopes of finding another Earth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ml2wZ2D.jpg

Astronomers recently scrambled to observe an intriguing asteroid that zipped through the solar system on a steep trajectory from interstellar space-the first confirmed object from another star.

NASA

Edited by Xann

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:12, villakram said:

So damn beautiful...

17-051.jpg

I went to an observatory in North London the other year and got to look at Jupiter through it , you could see the great red spot on it through the telescope  quite clearly ... fascinating stuff

alas couldn't see anything like that picture though  ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Â