Science Thread

Nigel

I dont think we have a general thread for new science stories.

Let me start...

It seems as if scientists have found a long dormant virus has resurfaced after 30,000 years being frozen in Siberia.  Fears are that other more deadly viruses could also re-emerge by process of global warming.

Virus Wakes Up After 30,000 In Siberian Frost
Scientists warn global warming could lead to deadly viruses being woken up after a groundbreaking discovery in thawing ice.
9:28am UK, Tuesday 04 March 2014
pithoviruscnrs2-web-1-522x293.jpg

Pithovirus sibericum. Pic: Julia Bartoli and Chantal Abergel, IGS, CNRS/AMU

A virus frozen in the Siberian permafrost for the past 30,000 years has come back to life.

Pithovirus sibericum was discovered by French scientists when a deep layer of frost thawed.

It is not dangerous to humans or animals but its revival raises the possibility of other more deadly viruses such as smallpox being exposed amid global warming.

"It has important implications for public-health risks," France's National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) said.

"The revival of viruses that are considered to have been eradicated, such as the smallpox virus, whose replication process is similar to that of Pithovirus, is no longer limited to science fiction.

"The risk that this scenario could happen in real life has to be viewed realistically."

The virus was found buried 30 metres (100ft) down in frost.

It is part of a family of giant viruses discovered 10 years ago that are so big they can be seen under a microscope.

At 1.5 millionths of a metre, Pithovirus sibericum is the biggest virus ever discovered but it has not infected anything since mammoths and Neanderthals walked the Earth 30,000 years ago.

The virus infects amoebas but does not attack human or animal cells.

But Professor Jean-Michel Claverie, from CNRS, said the exposure of permafrost to global warming and industrial exploration was now a "recipe for disaster".

Researchers are examining DNA from the frost to see what else might lurk within.

Makes you wonder just what would happen say if small pox was re-introduced nowadays, and whether we can truly eradicate such viruses or simply put them off for a new generation to deal with?

A Jehovah's Witness once told me science wasn't good, because it changes all the time. I told her that was exactly why it was good, and that I'd much prefer to constantly question that follow blindly. Not to turn this into another religion debate, but I ain't got time for anyone who doubts the benefits of science. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

A Jehovah's Witness once told me science wasn't good, because it changes all the time. I told her that was exactly why it was good, and that I'd much prefer to constantly question that follow blindly. Not to turn this into another religion debate, but I ain't got time for anyone who doubts the benefits of science. 

Science is a process used to gather knowledge more than anything.

That has to be emphasised, time and again.

You would be surprised how many people are ignorant to what science actually is!

I suppose its a throwback to school, being made to perform boring experiments instead of being able to do the one thing you wanted to do, light the gas taps!

• Like 1

On Stargazing they said (paraphrasing) we can interpret what elements make up an exoplanet's atmosphere. If CFCs were found we'd know there was an intelligent species on the planet. I don't think the human race is ready for such a discovery.

re open Studio 54 we're all saved!

Egypt's army claims it has invented a cure for AIDS and hepatitis C, prompting an outcry from the medical community, which blasted the declaration as a "scientific scandal."

"I defeated AIDS with the grace of my God at the rate of 100% . And I defeated hepatitis C," said Maj. Gen. Ibrahim Abdel-Atti, head of the Cancer Treatment and Screening center.

re open Studio 54 we're all saved!

Egypt's army claims it has invented a cure for AIDS and hepatitis C, prompting an outcry from the medical community, which blasted the declaration as a "scientific scandal."

"I defeated AIDS with the grace of my God at the rate of 100% . And I defeated hepatitis C," said Maj. Gen. Ibrahim Abdel-Atti, head of the Cancer Treatment and Screening center.

If he has defeated it then he won't mind getting injected with it again live on TV.  To be honest nearly everything that comes out of religious countries is of comedy value only, especially where facts and science are concerned.

Funny how he chooses to ignore the fact that some god gave it him in the first place :-) 

On Stargazing they said (paraphrasing) we can interpret what elements make up an exoplanet's atmosphere. If CFCs were found we'd know there was an intelligent species on the planet. I don't think the human race is ready for such a discovery.

There would be a big difference between discovering the likely clues to any kind of life and to be able to prove it.  I doubt many would take any real notice TBH.

103a9ep.jpg

Balloons are back in a serious way, Bruce Dickinson has an interest in this and intends to fly it around the globe.

A 50 tonne payload transporter is on the way, and the US (supposedly) has a solar powered surveillance balloon that can stay airborne indefinitely. 

A Penwortham schoolboy is the youngest person in the world to build a nuclear fusion reactor.

Teen scientist Jamie Edwards. 13, built the reactor from scratch, with help from his school, in a race against time to snatch the world record off American Taylor Wilson, who was 14 when he became the youngest ‘fusioneer’ in 2008.

Jamie, who is 14 on Sunday, started building the reactor in October in a under-used science laboratory at Priory Academy and finally finished the task this morning , making two atoms of hydrogen smash together to make helium – a nuclear fusion.

The young boffin said: “ It is quite an achievement. “It’s magnificent really. I can’t quite believe it – even though all my friends think I am mad.”

Jamie has always had a taste for science and used to try and do his older brother Danny’s science homework.

He said: “One day, I was looking on the internet for radiation or other aspects of nuclear energy and I came across Taylor Wilson and his reactor.

“I looked at it, thought ‘that looks cool’ and decided to have a go.

Basically I made a star in a jar. It’s amazing really, quite a feat, to be from Penwortham and be the youngest person in the world to do this.”

Jamie, along with friend George Barker who has helped him with the administrative side, set about trying to create the nuclear fusion reactor by contacting like-minded physicists.

Trying to rise the funds wasn’t easy. Jamie said: “I went to various nuclear laboratories and universities and they didn’t seem to take me seriously .”

So, he went his head teacher Jim Hourigan in October.

Jamie added: “I had to give a presentation and talk to him about safety, the benefits and what could go right or wrong.

“I needed £2,000 and he said he would fund it and also put £1,000 into a contingency fund so that myself and others could continue my work as I would like to make it energy efficient.”

Mr Hourigan added: “I was a bit stunned and I have to say a little nervous when Jamie suggested this but he reassured me he wouldn’t blow the school up.

Wilson has since become an internet sensation.”

The fusion took place in a controlled environment in school before an audience of experts.

It was video and now has to be officially recognized by the Fusioneers.

R&B Switchgear tested the electronics due to the high voltage which was needed in the control panel and Manchester University have been involved in checking the machinery.

Several of the staff, along with Jamie and George, went to Westinghouse Springfields Fuels Ltd for a risk assessment and safety course.

Jamie has set up a blog http://jamiesfusionproject.blogspot.co.uk/

Lancashire Evening Post 

Â